1928 Kwik Way multi-purpose machine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

Notchback
Pro
Pro
1928 Kwik Way multi-purpose machine

Post by Notchback »

A recent addition to my garage. I gave it a fresh coat of paint and replaced one belt. Works perfect and I only paid $500 for it. It has many attachments stored underneath, I am in the process of trying to make sense of them all. I downloaded a MP3 file from Kwik-Way's website that is the last known user manual for this machine. It is a real piece of history and I was surprised to hear the previous owner wanted it out of his garage. I have a poorly shot cell phone video I will try and upload, take mercy on me for the quality.
kwik way multi purose machine.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Notchback
Pro
Pro
Re: 1928 Kwik Way multi-purpose machine

Post by Notchback »

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Very interesting. So, from the manual, what operations can the multi-purpose machine perform?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Notchback
Pro
Pro

Post by Notchback »

Well, the manual doesn't have much imagery, just a few hand drawn pictures. Most of it is old world verbage which is hard for a fairly young guy like myself to make heads or tails of. What I can gather, it is a general tool and die cutter. As you can see in the close-up pic below, it has centers for mounting items to grind. It has a rocker arm re-facing attachment and some attachments for sharpening various cutters and reamers. It also states that it will do Commutator grinding and Mica undercutting, not 100% on that so if you know feel free to enlighten me. I oiled all the lube points the other day. I am just really impressed everything works so smoothly. I ground a valve on it the other day and it actually came out very nice.
close-up of Kwik-Way.jpg
accessories for Kwik-Way.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Notchback
Pro
Pro

Post by Notchback »

An old ad I found online looks exactly like this machine
kwik way ad.png
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

A machine such as that still operating and having all the bits and gubbins makes it a rare find. Have fun.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
buck
Expert
Expert

Post by buck »

Guy I know uses that same machine daily. He grinds motor contacts with it. Pretty cool find.
BMR @ Facebook
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

If you are into the old machinery, I have an Independent Pneumatic Thor 100 valve refacer I would be willing to part with really cheap. Works fine, but needs some tlc. I have a full manual for it . If you live on the far side of the country, it would be too expensive to ship.
So much to do, so little time...
Notchback
Pro
Pro

Post by Notchback »

I would normally be interested but with my lack of space I am trying to keep my purchases to machines that do something different than what I currently have. However, if you have a mill I'm all ears.
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

Congratulations, beautiful machine ... =D>
sorry my english mistakes.
Build Porting Bench...viewtopic.php?f=32&t=40009
My job.....................https://www.facebook.com/HotzBrazil
Notchback
Pro
Pro

Post by Notchback »

Thanks Hotz
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

It looks as though you can mount a piece of stock in between the two centers. My question is will the centers rotate so you could grind a piece of stock into a precision shaft?
Notchback
Pro
Pro

Post by Notchback »

Yep, it sure will. It drives from the right side and the left side is just along for the ride.
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

That's a very cool piece of equipment. I would like to add one to my collection of automotive machine shop equipment if I could find one that was reasonably priced. I don't know that I would use it much in engine building but I'm sure I could find some uses in fabricating. I could see taking a shaft with a spun bearing race and welding it up and regrinding to size and many other uses.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

That machine is in pretty good shape for its age. Good find. :D