FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by mk e »

gunt wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:56 pm I probably would too but sheeting adds weight , you could stand a light rsj either end and run a low profile rsj between them for ultimate reassurance
rsj, like an i beam? More beams are more stronger, no question about that....but not having beams is pretty nice :)

I know there is plenty of wood to hold normal room weight. I was a lityle worried about the joints on the verticle wall pieces because they are in basically pure tension which is the opposite of standard construction...i hate working with materials I can't weld. The nsol plates were smaller than i wanted but were in stock so i settled....then worried which is what led to the sheeting on the corners, I feel pretty good about it now.

If I were going to try and store engines and such up there I'd still be worried, but I'm just planning light bulky stuff....i can't imagine ever having more than a few thousand lbs total up there and I'm pretty sure 100lbs/sqft (plus another 30lb/sqft snow loading) would be fine, and that's 18000 lbs, so I think I could put a couple cars up there and they'd stay. Trusses are very strong, the whole roof becomes a beam, so it's like a 9ft tall wood i-beam, it will hold a lot of weight....if the not welded joints stay together.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I was feeling jealous of the kids room and pondering advise from a friend to consider a compressor shed...so last night I bought another sheet of flooring and started what will be a compressor shed upstairs.....unless I can't get the compressor throught the trus, then I guess it will just be storage....or I'll decide it's somehow a good idea to cut a doorway through the truss even though I know that's a terrible idea :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

Hope its a rotary compressor - - surely conventional piston compressors need securing to a solid base :shock:
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Leftcoaster wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:38 pm Hope its a rotary compressor - - surely conventional piston compressors need securing to a solid base :shock:
Isn't it blasphemy to even hint there might be something better than pistons? [-X

:) seriously though that is a concern. The piston compressor hates sitting on concrete, bounces all over the place. For the last 10 years it's been sitting with a little piece of 2x4 under each foot and it's perfectly happy and hasn't moved a mm.

The thought of the vibration up there bothers me a bit....but the fact that the floor will bounce should damp it all out I think. The normal rule is that as long as the natural frequecy of the mount is below the frequency of the engine (compressor in this case) it should be self damping....at least I think (hope?) that's the rule....some rubber pads probably wouldn't hurt though.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

mk e wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:27 am......but the fact that the floor will bounce should damp it all out I think.
.........or act like a big drum.
Have you considered a scroll or screw compressor? Maybe you could hide the cost in the garage budget. :lol:

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

That would suck. I may drag it up there and see what happens before I finish the wiring and layout
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Dragging the compressor up the stairs I learned I am not as young as I once was.....so thankfully it's perfectly happy in th attic. I barely feel it on the floor and it's much quiter than it was in the basement on the block/concrete.

Stairs feel nice and strong.

This all reminds me ttat it was a graduation present from my father about 30 years ago.....hopefully it lives another 30 :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

More storage.

I didn't quite finish but the front wall is getting sheeting to give me 2' deep built-in shelving. The back walk I sheeted everything thinking stuff like stock rack or anything light but bulky, there is also access from the stairs. Lana is now officially mad at how much I'm spending up stairs so no more changes.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Doors are finally picked and ordered...and curved on top so the now the openings match.

The color is pretty dark, painted to look like walnut which i'm a little afraid will cause unhappiness with white trim so i'm going to stucco the opening and see how it looks with/without hoping to avoid being told to repaint the doors.

Drywall, insulation, lights and such are being delivered today, breaker panel ordered.....but finishing the exterior is the priority so Honey-Bunny has her yard/patio back and isn't looking at mess which will (should?) mean happier. Lots of rainy days this time of year though so i can stay busy inside.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

It warmed up a bit Friday so I got outside and put the base coat od cement on the front. But below freezing temp sat and sun night stopped any additional crment progress. So i finshed installing the lath and boxes for the extetior lights then got the conduit buried for power and a smaller one so the front garage lighs can be on the same switch as the othe house front lights. Its going to be cold a few more days so maybe i can finishup installing the main panel and get power....maybe.

Edit...if you look close you can see Easter sale brought me a harbor freight cement mixer and drywall lift which hopegully will move things a bit quicker.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Still no work on the car......but the garage got its stucco and they did a good job matching the house and blending where I added arches to the house.
20180615_192418-resized-1024.jpg
20180615_192454-resized-1024.jpg
20180616_073724-resized-1024-1.jpg
The doors laying on the garage floor waiting to be installed have windows that should match the new arches........but I can't work on the garage anymore because I've been reassigned to rebuilding the walkway removed by the garage construction and it turns out that comes with a patio expansion so the patio will line up with the garage bathroom door.
20180528_175246-resized-1024.jpg
20180602_163845-resized-1024.jpg
.....but I got pulled off the patio expansion to build a brick pizza oven
20180701_112907-resized-1024.jpg
.....and I can't really say no because I did set the house on fire so........
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Little update...oven and I think patio complete
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

That means I'm back to the garage. I redid the floorplan to keep a big open area for project work. I show the car in there but my current plan is that unless I'm working on it it will be stored in the attached 2 car garage and maybe add a lift there to double park in the 1 bay with a high ceiling. The space between the equipment and door will be for the mower and other lawn equipment....at least until I convince lana she needs a garden shed.

Most all storage will be upstairs a long with the saw, blast cabinet, 3d printer, flowbench and such.

With the layout set I'm busy wiring....maybe 1/2 complete at this point. Minutes ago and before everything is complete I luckily realized that I made perhaps the biggest layout error possible.....there's no place for a kegerator or any place to sit and drink. I'm really not sure what I was thinking here.......
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

I strongly suggest that you go ahead and build Lana her garden shed now, and put your blast cabinet in it. The first time you use it in your nice new garage you will start coating everything with fine abrasive dust, and having it in the upstairs area will just make sure that that dust will rain down over a wider area and be that much more impossible to fully clean up later. You could just run an extension cord and air hose to the shed when you need to blast something.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

ijames wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:28 pm I strongly suggest that you go ahead and build Lana her garden shed now, and put your blast cabinet in it. ...
Last night Lana asked which bay in the new shop is hers.....ummmmm... excuse me? Did you just ask for a bay in the SHOP I built after you kicked me out of the old shop that was the only reason I agreed to buy the house you wanted to begin with? Did that just happen?

It seemed to end peacefully after I reminded her that anything she puts in the shop will be covered with dust and smoke and probably infested with mice......the next step was going to be explaining that I would assume anything I found in the shop was there because she needed help getting it to the trash, but luckily we didn't get there :)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer