FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by mk e »

I put some big holes in what was a perfectly good gear case cover last night. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I spent a lot of time yesterday test fitting and measuring just to be sure.....the gears seem to fit in the main housing properly so that's good.

Then I got the new bosses made and welded into the cover and did some basic cleanup to get it flat again. The bosses need to be finish machined and after pondering it a bit I decided to indicate in the bearing on the main housing, then install the cover and pop in a witness hole dead on center, then flip it over and indicate in the witness hole and I know for sure the outboard bearing in in-line with the inboard. The other option would be to pick up the bearing and pin locations and math it all into the cover but that's more chances to make mistakes and I make plenty as it is so.....easier to plug the witness holes when I'm done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Here it id all finished.....I hate grinding and sanding but it looks so nice once it's done.

Time to figure out what I want to do with the hydraulic throw bearing lines so I can start assembling everything.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

Nice work Mark!
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I was finishing up the gear hub bearing surfaces the other night and had to snap a pic.....the chips where coming off on fire. Not glowing, no the cutting oil smoking burning (I wasn't even using any) , the metal was on fire. I've never seen that before. The part came out nice though as alls well that ends well.

Just waiting on a couple small parts I need to show up then I can slap this all together.

I also got a porsche gas pedal off ebay. I'm going to try DBW on this engine thinking the 12 massive TBs are going to take some careful tuning of the pedal/TB ratio to get off idle nicely and changing values in a table is WAY easier than making new cable cams. Also the motec has nice launch control and traction control features that I'm told work better with DBW than just using the cylinder cut/timing retard mode. Anyway, when porsche first switched to DBW they dropped it into cars that were designed for cable operated throttle and had no room in the pedal box using a cable operated pedal sensor. I'm hoping I can just pop their pedal off and hook up mine and be done.....we'll see

Some time back I bough a throttle actuator on ebay from a BMW M46 which is an ITB engine with DBW so it's got a nice stand-a-lone type actualtor.

I've got to do something for brakes on this car, add a clutch master to work with the hydraulic throw-out I added to save space in the bellhousing and the the throttle so I'm thinking knock all this out next before the engine is in and it's still easy to get to everything.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

The bellhousing and gear case went together kicking and screams with just about everything wanting a "tune-up" of one kind or another......but it went together.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

A little more kicking and screaming today but the engine is all buttoned up now...well except the rear cam end covers that are being made.

I think I just need to put on the starter, drop in the differ and put on the motor mount and this piece of the project is done.

I used a ferrari 360 ring gear on the flywheel I made which luck would have it happens to have the same gear teeth chevy uses so I got a gear reduction starter for a chevy and put a new nose on it to get it in the space I had. Hopefully it spins the engine ok because while the teeth are chevy there are only 106 of them (IIRC) and there is a lot of friction going on in this engine. so many things to worry about........
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

mk e wrote:.....it happens to have the same gear teeth chevy uses.....
For future reference it's 12/14 DP, 20deg pressure angle. Very common amongst OEs. Go looser rather than tighter on the mesh, within spec.
les327
HotPass
HotPass

Post by les327 »

WOW
A good test is worth a thousand opinions.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

This build is awesome.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Thanks!

The diff went in yesterday.....I think it's ready to drop in the car and start fitting all the other stuff. I know I should be planning to fire this on the dyno but I really want to see the car rolling sooner rather than later so the dyno will probably need to wait until fall unless something goes wrong and I need to pull the engine sooner.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

NEVER, EVER, LET A GEARHEAD WITH TIME TO SPEND NEXT TO A BRIDGEPORT AND A MIG WELDER.NEVER.

:D :D :D just kidding, you did an awesome re-engineering job, I bet you will grin ear to ear when this beast fire up!

Keep us updated.
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

BrazilianZ28Camaro wrote:NEVER, EVER, LET A GEARHEAD WITH TIME TO SPEND NEXT TO A BRIDGEPORT AND A MIG WELDER.NEVER.

:D :D :D just kidding, you did an awesome re-engineering job, I bet you will grin ear to ear when this beast fire up!

Keep us updated.
LOL

I just put highlights here, if you want to follow the day to day battle I post that on my own site:
http://gemellocattivo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Speaking of highlights, I dropped the engine in the car last weekend....and there was AT LEAST 1/4" to spare....after I stripped off what I could and got it twisted just right :)

The way things worked out the flywheel is sitting right over the frame rail and if I shake the engine on it's motors I head what I think is the flywheel cover banging....I need to shim the mount up 1/8"..or maybe 1/4".
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

I can't wait to see and hear this thing driven in anger. :twisted:
How long have you been working on it?

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.