FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by mk e »

turbobaldur wrote:I love this project. All the bespoke and modified parts. No stone left unturned.
Thanks. Part of the beauty of limited production cars and the fact that there is absolutely nothing stock or otherwise available off the shelf is "well if I have to make it anyway, might as well make it the way I want it " :)
turbobaldur wrote: And the IO configuration page, not a Motec specific feature, every good ECU has that.
I figured it wasn't new to anybody but me, it just never occurred to me to look before I guess :oops:
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

The wheels speed chopper wheels fit fine. Yay!

and the new caliper mounting brackets are shaping up...well you still need to use a little imagination but at least I have a plan now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

This is the new fuel pressure sensor BTW, need to find a place to mount it. Having fuel pressure to go with the ID injectors will be nice though because in theory once dyno day arrives I can play with fuel pressure to alter the duty cycle quickly without needing to start over on the tuning since the ECU can just lookup the injection time to go with the new pressure. I've never had this available to me before so I'm looking forward to playing with it a bit.

As it gets closer to wiring harness day parts are rolling in and I'm tearing my hair with connectors. I absolutely HATE splices hiding all though the wiring for no apparent reason but then "sensor w/connect" shows up as "sensor pigtail" and I need to either live with splices in a brand new wiring harness which make me INSANE or find a replacement connector or pins to wire it in properly.......

end rant and back to caliper brackets. The fronts bolt on now but need to be lightened and prettied up and a braket for the wheel speed sensor added....this stuff takes forever.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I think the front caliper brackets are done. I still need to make the sensor bracket but that will be a simple bolt-on...maybe 1-2 hours and I can move on to the rear. Its a good thing I'm not paying for the labor or these would be about $1200 brackets at this point :shock:
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Somehow 14 O2 sensors seemed like a better plan in my head than it seems looking at 14 O2 sensors, bungs and connector in a pile on the floor!

Same for the box of 12 LS-2 coils....actually a box of 16 coils because they were sets of 8 so I guess that like project looks worse than it actually is . They are Chinese coils so I figured having 4 spares was probably a good thing.

The SS brake line also came so I should be ready there if I ever finish the brackets.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I have working front brakes and I think the master and pedal ration will be fine. I also have working front wheel speed with a good looking signal on the scope, and I'm nearly to a working clutch. I took a detour to the clutch because I thought I could re-purpose the original rear brake line to the clutch and it seemed to work out pretty well...1 more fitting and the clutch should work.

I was able to re-work the adapter fittings that came with the master cylinders to accept the M10 metric fittings so that made things a bit neater which I like. I was also able to replace the original proportioning valve with a T bolted in the same spot, so again neat.

The rear brakes are going to be more work. I need to make the adapter brackets like I did for the front but I also need to add the new proportioning valve and parking master then run all new lines....lots to do.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

You are attempting great and wonderful things with this project. Thanks for sharing. Thinking about builds I've done where there were many fewer changes, just prepare for a bit of debugging.

One of my all-time favorite movies is "The Princess Bride". When the hero was mostly dead, they went to Miracle Max. He gave them a magic pill.
Valerie: Think it'll work?
Miracle Max: It would take a miracle.
I'm pulling for your miracle for it all to work the first time.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Thanks Jack. This gave me a chuckle this morning both because I know you're absolutely right that it will take a miracle for this to work the first (few??) attempt(s) but also because I love that movie and haven't seen it in a while :)

The timing also made em chuckle a bit as just a couple days ago a buddy asked if I was planning a big "first start" party so they could all come over to be there for the big moment.....to which I responded it just doesn't work that way. There is be a long series of systems checks and rechecks over a period of a month or so and as one of those checks at some point the engine will start and a new series of systems checks will begin. I'ts not like the movies :)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
RL
Guru
Guru

Post by RL »

I thought my FrankenFord Clevo head was a lot of work, but that is nutso.

That's what I like to see, "if you can't find it, engineer it".
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

RL wrote:I thought my FrankenFord Clevo head was a lot of work, but that is nutso.

That's what I like to see, "if you can't find it, engineer it".
nutso is what I do best :)

The calipers all are on. I dropped something, maybe the caliper on one of the wheel sensors and it's bent.....but it wasn't going ot fit very well anyway so I think I'll just the use the speedo output for now to get rear axles speed and call it done.

I need to figure out the parking brake now.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

So I spend a couple hours not being happy with anything I came up with on the parking master mount.....then decide it didn't belong in the cabin it belonged in the engine bay. I cut up the Chinese drift brake I bought and once I mount it to the frame it should connect to the stock parking brake handle with a simple rod. Almost there I think.

Yes, technically my hydraulic parking park will be....will be......will be.....non-compiling.

I do however have an electrically controlled mechanical emergency brake with speed proportional air assist though so I should be all set in the event of a double braking system failure.....it just happens by pure chance to be connected to the ignition switch :)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I've been chatting with a motec dealer about a custom FW package for me to fix a couple things that bother me about the GPR package I was planning to use. The M1xx ecu have "M1build" which makes custom FW but lots of licensing to buy....but part of the intent is to have like an "app" store for FW builds so a developer creates a custom package and motec makes it available for purchase. So I might be getting a customized firmware which would be nice.

anyway, I was also talking to an o5e guy about possibly using an innovate LC-2 in the collector to do cylinder O2 reading.....I think the knock function can do it in the M150 and also in o5e so.......I think I'm going to hook the 2 WB02 sensors to the knock inputs on the M150 and find out ....when I'm actually up and running. innovate appearently published a paper claiming the new digital control in the LC-2 (which I have) can read at 150hz...so that SHOULD give cylinder to about 3000 rpm from the main collectors if the readings were timed to cylinders that is....hmmmmm

The knock inputs are timed to crnak angle....hmmmm......they are a 160K pullup to 2.5V (0v - 160k - sensor - 160k - 5V) but I'm thinking that won't matter much to the LC-2 and normal operation at 14.7ish AFR is 2.5V anyway so mostly there is never any current flowing and when it is its a tiny amount. The other thing is these inputs are read at 50khz.....fast.

1 more think to play with.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I THINK the parking brake will work and I just need cotter pis and brake lines. I'm waiting on a fitting but I can get everything else done in the mean time.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

The motec M150 ecu has 6 AT(Analog Temp) inputs and only found 6 1k resistors on the whole board so I'm pretty confident and decided to go ahead and pop 2 resistors off the very expensive ECU circuit board. Those parts are TINY! I used 2 soldering irons as tweezers to heat and lift so as not to damage anything and it seems to work nicely....so AT 5&6 should now be effectively AV (AnalogVolt) 18&19 and I'm good to go.....I think.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer