FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by mk e »

Kenova wrote:I can't wait to see and hear this thing driven in anger. :twisted:
How long have you been working on it?

Ken
Me too :)

It's been about 7 1/2 years now....and I'm trying hard not to let it become 8 years. Life just keeps slowing it down.

I'm trying to sort out the exhaust now. The front headers still need the 2-1 collector and everything from there back, the rear set has the start of the 2-1 collect....4 of the 6 collectors ended up on curvers. The original plan was 750 to maybe 800hp so I planned 3" exhaust and have pair of borla XR-1 multicore mufflers which I knew would be too loud but....

Now dynomation is saying 940 is possible so that means 3.5" exhaust so I'm keeping the borlas and adding a pair of much quieter mufflers from these guys:
http://www.stainlesssteelmufflers.com/350mufflers.htm

and vaccum cutout valves to turn of the borlas until I'm at least out of my development
http://www.quality-tuning.com/exhaust-vacuum-valves

The plan is to size the quiet mufflers for 250-300hp give control of the valves to the ECU and keep the engine quiet in all "normal" driving conditions. The engine should be crossing the 300hp point around 4000rpm but I'm expecting a bit of a dip around 3500 so I'm also curious to see if the dip is real and if the muffler helps any.

.....but I'm not exactly rolling in space to pack all this stuff that I never planned to have and still need to find room for air filters, oil tank and coolant line and oil filters and lines among other things :shock: :? :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

This has nothing to do with going fast but I think it's pretty cool to see.

I wanted cam end covers that eliminated the distributors and other stuff but looked stock so.......custom cast covers courtesy of my buddy Brian G. (of sawed up, measured, analysed and F1 head articles fame) :)

They'll get machined in the coming days then shipped from Ireland and I'll be able to close up the holes in the end of my engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
ramcharger440

Post by ramcharger440 »

You are a Mad Man! I love it
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

ramcharger440 wrote:You are a Mad Man! I love it
Thanks...I think :)

Here's the cast covers machined and ready to ship. I should have them in a week or so.

One thing I seem to have COMPLETELY over-looked is a crankcase vent system. Way way back I removed the the vents on the cam covers becasue they were in an unhelpful location and then just forgot about it. DOH! :oops:

I'ts a dry sump ....but I only have 2 return stages and 12 cylinders so I really doubt a seal design will work. I guess I'll see where the oil tank ends up and drill hole in something, hopefully not the new cam end covers. :shock:
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Looking at all those details you customized, Im pretty sure your car might be in an European sports car magazine cover. Make sure you do some calls when she's ready.
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass
Location: In Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada

Post by justahoby »

Well at least I am not the only one that goes to Home Depot to buy a makita saw and does crazy shit with welding . People say WTF..
Now I can say " hey people do it to their Ferrari , I got proof" :mrgreen:
I like it... You want something you get it...
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

justahoby wrote:Well at least I am not the only one that goes to Home Depot to buy a makita saw and does crazy shit with welding . People say WTF..
Now I can say " hey people do it to their Ferrari , I got proof" :mrgreen:
I like it... You want something you get it...
Good to hear I'm not alone! The sawzall was out again this weekend :)

. This weekend project was to rebuild the pedal box to hold the standard race master cylinder setup. I was going to try to keep the stock brake master setup…but I’ve changes weight bias and brake sizes so much I decided to just bite the bullet and put in an adjustable setup, plus I needed to do something to add a clutch master anyway so….now it’s done.

I still need to fix the pedals and it may need a tune-up to work with the heater control stuff that is kind of in the way, but the box was the biggest part of the job.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Here we can see why they say a true Hotrod is NEVER finished. :P
'71 Z28 street strip car
NEW BEST ET

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

BrazilianZ28Camaro wrote:Here we can see why they say a true Hotrod is NEVER finished. :P
Tell me about it! This whole V12 thing actually started when I took the brakes off years ago for an upgrade.... and then decide a new engine was also in order, you know as long as I was working on the car anyway :lol:

so now nearly 8 years later I'm just getting back the the brakes :oops:
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

mk e wrote:
Tell me about it! This whole V12 thing actually started when I took the brakes off years ago for an upgrade.... and then decide a new engine was also in order, you know as long as I was working on the car anyway :lol:

so now nearly 8 years later I'm just getting back the the brakes :oops:

:lol:

I'm familiar with the way this things happen...I'm in the 13th year working on my '71 Camaro, thanks God I can drive the car between the "upgrades"...well , half of the times to be true.
'71 Z28 street strip car
NEW BEST ET

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

BrazilianZ28Camaro wrote:

:lol:

I'm familiar with the way this things happen...I'm in the 13th year working on my '71 Camaro, thanks God I can drive the car between the "upgrades"...well , half of the times to be true.
Here's a few of the setups I build/sell on request and have had on this car over the years:

CIS to manifold EFI conversion - this gives about a 25hp bump (235 up to 250) as a bolt-on. Ported the best I can do with it with matching heads/cams it makes about 330hp on a 3.0 liter, 345hp on a 3.4 liter. (there are 6 of these in the world - as shown it's $1500 unported, porting it adds $1000, ported heads another $5000 9remember that ferrari heads come from the factory ported so making them better is no small thing)

Eaton MP90 supercharge setup - this makes 380-400hp at 10psi on a stock engine (3.0liter). The air is REALLY hot (260F-270F) at 10psi and this is where I learned just how important small variations in ignition timing can be. (1 or 1 - $8,000)

Ax2300 supercharger with an cu/Ni intercooler in the intake. This setup makes almost 600hp on a mostly stock engine, stiffer valve springs are requited to prevent valve float. This this setup was a BUGGER to sort out. As shown its the neatest but the boost biases to the right side of the engine over about 10 psi. I moved the blower left a couple inches and sorted the high boost distribution but caused a pretty bad idle distribution issue...i finally gave up thinking there just wasn't enough hood clearance to get the volume needeed for even flow distribution and fixed the idle issue with cylinder trims. (1 or 2, $12,000)

One the big blower was prefect I ripped it off thinking I'd do an even larger blower that had just come available from whipple.....but that meant I'd need internal work on the engine and it would be WAY less a product....and if it's not a product I might as well go all the way......and here we are at a V12 project
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Looks like nothing is impossible to you !

That blower/intake design is interesting to say the least.

Nice work there.
'71 Z28 street strip car
NEW BEST ET

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Who here believes I was going to leave the ugly support bosses on the pedal box????

I clipped the one corner to clear the heater controller and realize the full extent of ugliness of the bosses...so I re-did the other side too. I also got the brake pedal done I think, it still needs a test fit though so....

This also means a much shorter pivot shaft...huge weight savings! I was ready to drill it too thinking shorter means strongeruntil I realized it was hardened just to cut it I needed the crop saw. #-o
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

BrazilianZ28Camaro wrote:Looks like nothing is impossible to you !

That blower/intake design is interesting to say the least.

Nice work there.
Thanks.

It was tough to get under the hood. This is a QV, which were all CIS injected but they kept the hood with a bump to clear the webers on the 2V engines...so that is about 1" of space over the plenum. Under the plenum ferrari uses external water manifolds to get even flow distribution so the space is all used up and in front the water pump/thermostat housing sits right where the blower drive wants to go. so tried to add a 5 tall blower was quite a challenge....and then adding an 1.25" (I thikn it was) intercooler was a much bigger challenge.

Here's the project from before the Ferrari...a harley road racer (orange bike in front ;) I built the frame but kept about 3" of the original neck with the VIN number so the cases matched the frame, I thought that was funny seeing how there was nothing at all stock of original about it.

I hill climbed it for a could years and won the northeast open class championship then decided my calling in life was road racing so I cut the whole think up, destroked as much as I could it to 860cc and hit the road race track. The pic is from a Battle of the Twin race at Dayton. It turned out I was much better at giving myself road rash than actually winning road races....mostly because I couldn't make the trans survive a race and it would do something stupid like lock up and throw me over the handle bars which I think happened the lap after this pic.

The thing had gobs of power though....I put 10mph on the the rest of the field down the front straight which is a massive difference. The BotT race was held during bike week so after the race I'd enter the HP shootout and won the 2 years I went which was great considering in '95 it was a 0-1000 class and in '96 it was 0-1200 and I only had 860 and still put 6-8hp on the the rest of the field. In '96 I destoryed every piece in the trans and was running around at swap meets trying to find enough parts to turn the wheel on the dyno.....I finally got 4th gear to work which is great for hp because it's straight through, but there was no starter on that bike so it was a bugger to fire up come dyno time!

Then I got married and that was the end of motorcycle road racing! sad because I caved shit canned the H-D 4 spd and put a kawi zx7 6 speed in it but never got to race that setup. You mentioned the Ferrari in a magazine, the H-d had a write-up in Roadracing World and and a couple page feature in an H-D magazine called Iron works.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

mk e wrote:...mostly because I couldn't make the trans survive a race and it would do something stupid like lock up and throw me over the handle bars which I think happened the lap after this pic.
Until I posted this I'd pretty much forgotten all about the trans disasters.....funny because I'm honestly terrified about what a 900hp V12 is going to do to a trans designed for a 235hp V8 and I should have already learned this lesson :shock:
Mark
Mechanical Engineer