FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by mk e »

skippy wrote:I'm really glad you're back on with this project Mark.
Me too :)

I cut and grooved the valves I can use yesterday. The shop I buy Kibble-white parts from forwarded my unhappy note to the owner of K-W Wed...hopefully there will be replacement valves on the way shortly. I gave the heads a serious scrubbing yesterday too so they are ready to re-assemble...I can do the 1 head, set the lash and reinstall it while I wait for the last few exhaust valves for the second head. I guess I can get the intakes installed and lashed on that head too while I wait.

I realized there is no good way to fill the trans oil because the filler is too close to the left fuel tank.....so I'll pull that apart and move the filler while the engine's out.

I should probably swing by the dyno shop and see what all would be involved in getting this engine on their dyno. I know running it on the dyno is the right thing to do but I'm also pretty sure it will be expensive and time consuming to setup everything needed to mount this engine........we'll see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Not sure how much interest this is to anyone other than me but I took some time to actually white down how the control code/model I wrote for the ECU works....well how to use it mostly, I still need to do a better job explaining how the functions all operate in detail.

If you want to play with it the model and layout are attached, and you can grab Enginelab here:
https://enginelab.net/downloads/#

Install the software, unzip and open the model and layout.

hit alt R and the simulator will start, the "engine" will start and settle into idle. move the throttle pedal slider and the revs climb. The engine simulator is reading the outputs from the ECU (simulated on the PC, but just like the actual ECU) and feeds back sensor signal for basic testing without wrecking an engine.

There is more work to do but I'm pretty sure it will run an engine...when I have an engine that can run. I'm re-assembling the non-leaking heads now so hopefully soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

Mark, thanks for continuing to share this sophisticated and time consuming work - - no doubt many others including lurkers appreciate it too

Merry Christmas, assuming you follow the old adage "Happy Wife, Happy Life" :wink:
Gillesdecourse

Post by Gillesdecourse »

I enjoy reading this a lot, thanks for sharing!
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

The replacement valves showed up!

and they are exactly like the 4 wrong ones I just sent back.....WTF ? :?

Someday I'm have a matching set or valves so I can put it back together...I just know I will..........
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I feel bad about all the posts without any pics at all and the long long time since I've post pisc of carnages....so carnage tonight.

The timing cover is a bugger, I recall it took me 11 hours to install it flexing everything as much as possible to get enough room to sort of get in with a wrench...it was awful. The pan is supposed to be off but I can't do it that way on my setup but even that it would suck. So tonight I kind of eyeballed where I thought the bolts were that hold the gear assembly that caused all the trouble and drilled exploratory holes, then big holes to get a socket on the nuts. Then nuts off and the cover comes right off. Hopefully it goes back on with as little drama

I'll need to make some plugs of some kind to close the holes and probably convert the studs to bols so there is no chance of dropping a nut or washer inside the engine but this seems much better.

There is a bolt in the oil pump I couldn't get a bolt in because it was too close to the frame, I'll turn that around too while I'm fixing stuff.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

In theory the exhaust valves I've been waiting on will be here tomorrow so time to get everything else sorted.

This morning I welded up where I missed the location on the 3 access holes and 1 needed the back thickened up so I could tap the holes M22. I'll order some plugs and clean it up a bit more and it's done.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Next up turn around a bolt hole in the pump housing where I couldn't install the bolt becasue it was way too close to the frame. I probably could have counter-bored it but thought it would look more like it belonged if I filled it and brought the bolt to the surface....and added a flange because I can ;)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I moved the trans oil fill plug from the side and up against the fuel tank (I moved the engine 3" forward ans 2" down and rotated the gear housing) to the top....a little more clean-up and I can reinstall the cover and that should be it until the valves arrive.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Valves arrived...and all 24 are the same design. Yay. I got them cut to length and grooved and the heads are back together. I did a leak down on the heads (I made a plate to bolt on) just to be sure and they are near perfect at the moment. I''ll check again once the heads are on the engine and before the cams are in so I'll know for sure the gasket sealed and then again after the cams go in so I know I did that right.......a little extra caution and douvble checking everything this time around so I don't end up needing to pull the damn thing out again.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

Thanks for posting, and Merry Christmas Mark

I look forwards to reading about how the modified AEM/Enginelabs ECU complements your unique creation :shock:
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

All back togerher.....hopefully I didn't bugger anything up this time. We'll know in a couple days i guess

I don't know why but for some reason I find the engine looks ridiculously huge when its hanging over the car.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

The big new for today is the engine runs....sort of. It wasn't oin all 12 and before I could have a look why I realized the house was on fire.

I had a problem is #3 injector flooding the cylinder and got it fix but didn't give nearly enough thought to where exactly all that fuel might be......apparently it was sitting in the exhaust just waiting to be blown out onto the floor flame thrower style! And my 2 extinguishers I had set out didn't work. WTF! But I found a hose, my wife had left on the floor near the door and got the fire out.

But it runs =D>
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

If it's not one thing, it's another.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

PackardV8 wrote:If it's not one thing, it's another.
This is the project from hell.

When I realized cyl 3 had hydraulic locked and I pulled 50cc of fuel out of it I asked myself out loud "WTF else could possibly go wrong?!?" (changing an injector means pulling both intakes) ........this is the first shop fire I've ever had aside from my cloths from grinding or something like that.....this was a real fire and the shop is in the basement of the house and the fire was directly under the HVAC ducts so smoke everywhere. My wife is SOOOOOO mad at me now, she'll have me cleaning and painting for weeks I'm guessing.

The floor has a scorch mark behind the cyl 1-6 exhaust about 3 feet wide and 12-15 feet long.....I'm guessing about 1/2 gallon or so of gas sprayed out.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer