Home made engine dyno with Superflow brake

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

LarsPerformance
Re: Home made engine dyno with Superflow brake

Post by LarsPerformance »

It accelerates as fast as i can. (It runs faster than i can turn the Pot.)

It will NOT run Backwards, It is Closed Loop Controlled.

Im using a MicroController, to compare the FeedBack from the Valve, against where i set the Potentiometer.
(if it runs Backwards, it wil be for one Step).

Im Working on a PID Control for the SteadyState. The Controller is actually ready, but there are some issues on the interface between the Microcontrollers.
So the plan is to use Serial communication between them.

In my head between alot of other stuff, there is also a plan on making an interface to use an MP3 player to simulate a RoadCoarse/DragRace/WarmUp/Economy/Sweep, or what ever you want to run.

LarsPerformance
1mach

Post by 1mach »

LarsPerformance wrote:It accelerates as fast as i can. (It runs faster than i can turn the Pot.)

It will NOT run Backwards, It is Closed Loop Controlled.

Im using a MicroController, to compare the FeedBack from the Valve, against where i set the Potentiometer.
(if it runs Backwards, it wil be for one Step).

Im Working on a PID Control for the SteadyState. The Controller is actually ready, but there are some issues on the interface between the Microcontrollers.
So the plan is to use Serial communication between them.

In my head between alot of other stuff, there is also a plan on making an interface to use an MP3 player to simulate a RoadCoarse/DragRace/WarmUp/Economy/Sweep, or what ever you want to run. LarsPerformance

Hello turbobaldur very nice work indeed.

Hello LarsPerformance , Any updates ?

Arduino micro_controller , shields and sketch are a cheap option to start experimenting with.

arduino strain gauge shield , strain gauge amplifier are cheap also + RPM tachometer (hall effect sensor ) = calculated Horsepower.

Interfacing a Load Cell With an Arduino Board http://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/interf ... oard-16247

and there are enough inputs/outputs to control a stepper motor with position feedback to control a water valve for load control for steady state testing and ramping_up and ramping_down the speed of the motor under a specific test procedure one wants to simulate.

Arduino would make a nice engine dyno controller for a less than few hundred dollars in parts.

The Arduino community has a vast array of different shields out there again very cheap electronics. http://forum.arduino.cc/

Arduino platform makes a nice controller for many other automotive projects the list is endless.
turbobaldur
Pro
Pro

Post by turbobaldur »

I did create a dyno controller for someone else a few years ago for a different dyno using an AVR processor similar to what Arduino uses. It doesn't even come close to the big system in capability and number of inputs/outputs but it does the most basic dyno functionality just fine. It was for a magnetic brake so there was PWM for load control with PID to hold speed, I2C brought out to read from an infra red temperature sensor to read head temperature, a couple of K type thermocouple inputs, couple of speed inputs, a number of 12 bit 0-5V analog sensor inputs, couple of low current switched outputs and a servo output for throttle control. Still merely a toy compared to the big system which can handle 40 sensors in addition to the sensors fitted to the brake itself.

LarsPerformance

Long time no see!

There are some updates!
I Bought a Logger from down under. "Dynertia3" from dtec.

http://www.dtec.net.au/Dynertia%20-%20I ... System.htm

They are soon to be releasing the ClosedLoop controller.
i do have to solder up a D/A convertor for PWM to Voltage, since the CapacityValve Controller is based on 0-5V

https://www.facebook.com/H%C3%A5vik-Ele ... 624/videos

There are som aditional Videos of the WorkShop there. Enjoy

Lars
turbobaldur
Pro
Pro

Post by turbobaldur »

I did some upgrades recently. Innovation Engineering built me a flywheel and supplied a reverse rotation starter that mounts parallel to the brake trunnion and clears the brake.
I built a shield around the flywheel, 8mm thick steel.
Starter shimmed to the correct depth

Latest dyno victim, a 330 Olds museum piece. 327hp at 5000 and 376lbs at 3500
LarsPerformance

Aha, you have done some nice upgrades!

We are still in testing mode!
Had some troubble with the Brake did not hold load above 4k RPM.(i was not there)
I thing we have to lenghten the inlet pipe further into the watertank.(there may be airbubbles entering the pump)

I have also made a servo-controlled valve for the boost-port!

Ill keep on posting when i figure out the problem!

Regards
Lars
turbobaldur
Pro
Pro

Post by turbobaldur »

I just keep the boost port fed a small amount all the time when I'm running tests. I may create a motorised capacity valve at some point though. The way the Superflow control is with a fixed inlet valve (capacity valve in Superflow terms) and a controlled outlet valve, it becomes difficult to control the load over a wide speed range. If I give it enough water to hold an engine below 3000 RPM I'll have the outlet valve fully open and a 300hp engine won't be able to pull the brake past 5000 where the brake becomes really effective (capable of holding 2000 horsepower if full!)
I'd like to see pictures of your boost port valve.
Breastfed

Post by Breastfed »

Hi
I've been lurking around this forum for some time ...just wondering if there's been any further progress with the dyno controller ? I'm also thinking about the purchase of Dynertia3, I'd like to see the closed loop controller package a little more affordable.

Breastfed
1mach

Post by 1mach »

Hi turbobaldur any updates ?

I actually come across this new dyno forum run by I think Jostein Fonneland , http://yourdyno.com/community/ . He has a very interesting dyno hardware/software product out called "YourDyno instrumentation kit includes all you need for dyno data acquisition" see what you guys think. AND it's very affordably priced.

Checkout his Youtube channel , here is one link " YourDyno noise test , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEHJjJzAn9s "

I'll definitely be buying his system if it suits my dyno " which I think it will but awaiting 100% confirmation ", awaiting email correspondence back from Jostein

Bye
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

turbobaldur wrote:
Well that's interesting to know. You still have to limit the acceleration although you don't have to be as careful about it. I've seen steppers run backwards when accelerated too hard. Please post pictures!
I've had them stall when they get into resonance and do wacky stuff if they are open loop. If it's closed loop then it depends on your control algorithm. If it waits for the motor to advance one step before issuing the next step, it can't get into resonance. It will basically step it exactly as fast as possible, but no faster.