Camaro is back to the action....finally!

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Re: Camaro is back to the action....finally!

Post by Wolfplace »

Wow,, congratulations Diego you have done a fantastic job & it is great to see you so happy with the results :)

And thank you for choosing us to help you a little along the way, Darlene & I do appreciate it...... well,, everything except the stupid customs & shipping paperwork LOL,,,
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Nice work Diego! Thanks for the update!
Pro question poster.
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Wolfplace wrote:Wow,, congratulations Diego you have done a fantastic job & it is great to see you so happy with the results :)

And thank you for choosing us to help you a little along the way, Darlene & I do appreciate it...... well,, everything except the stupid customs & shipping paperwork LOL,,,

:lol:

Thank you very much Mike, these words coming from a experienced engine builder and professional racer are VERY VALUABLE to me! =D>

I do everything I can to have a my dream becoming true....I belive I can improve the ET a bit here and there,,,will need more work !

Thanks alot!
Last edited by BrazilianZ28Camaro on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Bob Hollinshead wrote:Nice work Diego! Thanks for the update!

Thank you Bob, I'm really happy with my car!
'71 Z28 street strip car
NEW BEST ET

Old as Dirt
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Old as Dirt »

Diego, that's Awesome to see air under the front tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She seems to be hooking better than ever.. WHEELIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Old as Dirt wrote:Diego, that's Awesome to see air under the front tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She seems to be hooking better than ever.. WHEELIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You bet!!! It will take some time to me believe what I'm seeing!!

Thanks !!
'71 Z28 street strip car
NEW BEST ET

bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

Congratulation on your performance. It is so nice to see all your hard work has paid off.. Those are very respectable times. If you wan to go faster , look at removing anything you can to save weight, but ONLY IN FRONT of the driver. When you take weight off behind the driver, many times the traction you had goes away---

JOE SHERMAN RACING
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Great result! The car looks GREAT!
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

bigjoe1 wrote:Congratulation on your performance. It is so nice to see all your hard work has paid off.. Those are very respectable times. If you wan to go faster , look at removing anything you can to save weight, but ONLY IN FRONT of the driver. When you take weight off behind the driver, many times the traction you had goes away---

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Yes, she needs to lose some weight....in front is better because the wheelies will be higher!!! :)

What you think about my power estimate Joe? seems ok for the car weight and performance?

Thank you again, for the tip and nice words Big Joe...these words coming from a live legend like You are priceless! =D>
Last edited by BrazilianZ28Camaro on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'71 Z28 street strip car
NEW BEST ET

BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

mk e wrote:Great result! The car looks GREAT!

Thank you very much, much appreciated! :D
'71 Z28 street strip car
NEW BEST ET

Old as Dirt
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Old as Dirt »

Interesting read.. while watching your video.. stolen from Mike Canter of Outlaw Pro-Mod fame..

There is a standard progression of events that occur as a doorslammer launches.
Watching each of these events and at what point in time they occur gives you the clues you need to dial in your suspension.
The key is to making these events all happen at the right "time" is your shock valving controls.

"This should be the sequence of events seen on the video.

Right at launch the front should start to come up before any forward movement of the car.

The rear of the car with this added weight transferred from the rising front will lift very little but it should not go down (squat).
An inch or two is normal and can be best seen by looking at the relationship between the top of the slicks and the rear fender lip.

This one or two inches of rise will indicate that the rear of the car is lifting and pushing
harder on the tires while the front weight is being transferred (for every motion there is an equal and opposite motion).

If the front of the car does not rise first then the front shocks are too stiff or the rear shocks are not stiff enough.

If the rear of the car squats right away then the rear shocks are too loose.

I have found through slow motion video tape that if the rear shocks are too loose the rear tire actually bounces
on the initial hit and will break loose almost right away.
I stood next to the car pointing the camera right at the rear tire. It was amazing to watch.
I kept on tightening the rear shocks until it stopped which was just below mid point of the adjustment.

From all that I have seen the rear shocks should never be adjusted less than half way because of rear squat and tire bounce."
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Old as Dirt wrote:Interesting read.. while watching your video.. stolen from Mike Canter of Outlaw Pro-Mod fame..

There is a standard progression of events that occur as a doorslammer launches.
Watching each of these events and at what point in time they occur gives you the clues you need to dial in your suspension.
The key is to making these events all happen at the right "time" is your shock valving controls.

"This should be the sequence of events seen on the video.

Right at launch the front should start to come up before any forward movement of the car.

The rear of the car with this added weight transferred from the rising front will lift very little but it should not go down (squat).
An inch or two is normal and can be best seen by looking at the relationship between the top of the slicks and the rear fender lip.

This one or two inches of rise will indicate that the rear of the car is lifting and pushing
harder on the tires while the front weight is being transferred (for every motion there is an equal and opposite motion).

If the front of the car does not rise first then the front shocks are too stiff or the rear shocks are not stiff enough.

If the rear of the car squats right away then the rear shocks are too loose.

I have found through slow motion video tape that if the rear shocks are too loose the rear tire actually bounces
on the initial hit and will break loose almost right away.
I stood next to the car pointing the camera right at the rear tire. It was amazing to watch.
I kept on tightening the rear shocks until it stopped which was just below mid point of the adjustment.

From all that I have seen the rear shocks should never be adjusted less than half way because of rear squat and tire bounce."
Good info here

Yes, I need to work on the suspension to make the weight transfer a bit slower, because my car pull the wheels off the ground, runs a couple feet then the wheel touch the ground, then they lift again...then they come back to ground....seems like the weight transfer is too fast and the IC is a bit high.

Probably I'll work on these settings next race and see what happens....what you think , sounds like a good move?

Thanks for reply!
'71 Z28 street strip car
NEW BEST ET

Old as Dirt
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Old as Dirt »

BrazilianZ28Camaro wrote: my car pull the wheels off the ground, runs a couple feet then the wheel touch the ground, then they lift again...then they come back to ground....seems like the weight transfer is too fast and the IC is a bit high.

Probably I'll work on these settings next race and see what happens....what you think , sounds like a good move?

Thanks for reply!
Take a friend with you and do some more video.. pay close attention to the "Rear" tires and see if they are "bouncing" at the hit.. and slipping a little before biting again.. like he talks about.. stiffen the rear shocks until they settle down.. then see if you can adjust the fronts to provide the transfer without the bounce..

If the front end travel is allowed to come up really fast, the negative result is what happens when you run out of suspension travel. If you do not run out of suspension travel gently, you will unload the rear of the car because you just jerked the tires off of the ground resulting in a shockwave down the chassis unloading the tires."

you'll figure it out.. been doing a great job so far.. have fun!
jim_ss409

Post by jim_ss409 »

Way to go!
The engine sounds great! =D>
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

This car is the BOSS.

Looks like Grumpy Jenkins classic 70 pro stock drag pics.
=D> =D> :notworthy: :notworthy: