R&M big chief killers?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

phoenix
Pro
Pro

R&M big chief killers?

Post by phoenix »

Morning guy's, saw someone mention these on another post here. Does anyone have any info on them? Are they a modified version of darts new oval port 18* race series head or are they a completely different design?
thanks, Shane
Darin Morgan
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: R&M big chief killers?

Post by Darin Morgan »

phoenix wrote:Morning guy's, saw someone mention these on another post here. Does anyone have any info on them? Are they a modified version of darts new oval port 18* race series head or are they a completely different design?
thanks, Shane
If your referring to the 565 HR engine that makes 1000hp from conventional heads then I will tell you anything you wish to know about it. The heads are just Dart Pro1 CNC angle milled .100. The chambers are opened up on the intake side but no offset dowels are used. The valve sizes are 2.325/1.880. The piston domes are profiled for better flame travel. Is that what you wanted to know? The 18 degree conventional heads make 1053hp but it drives the cost up considerably.
Darin Morgan
-Induction Research and Development
-EFI Calibration and Tuning
Reher Morrison Racing Engines
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
Phone 817-467-7171
Cell 682-559-0321
http://www.rehermorrison.com
phoenix
Pro
Pro

Post by phoenix »

Darin, thank you for the info. I misunderstood a comment From the "BBC HEAD QUESTIONS" post and thought you guys designed a new traditional BBC cylinder head. How much of an improvement is the Dart 18 degree head over conventional heads? Do the raised port floors and valve angle offer better wet flow? How crazy have you guys gotten with them?
Thanks. Shane
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

Darin,
Is it your CNC program or darts?

Dennis
Darin Morgan
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Darin Morgan »

phoenix wrote:Darin, thank you for the info. I misunderstood a comment From the "BBC HEAD QUESTIONS" post and thought you guys designed a new traditional BBC cylinder head. How much of an improvement is the Dart 18 degree head over conventional heads? Do the raised port floors and valve angle offer better wet flow? How crazy have you guys gotten with them?
Thanks. Shane
The 18 degree head is worth about 50hp. If you really work on them by milling and fitting the dome properly for best flame travel they will make an easy 60hp more. I only use them if the class requirements demand a conventional style head because in the long run, a set of spread port heads is a much better investment. Thats my silly little opinion.
Darin Morgan
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
Phone 817-467-7171
Cell 682-559-0321
Darin Morgan
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Darin Morgan »

airflowdevelop wrote:Darin,
Is it your CNC program or darts?

Dennis
Its Darts which I might add is really good. I put them on the bench and they went 378 @.500 and 420 @.600 ! They are past 440cfm by .750 lift and peak out at about 455cfm. They jump up on the flow curve in a hurry.
Darin Morgan
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
Phone 817-467-7171
Cell 682-559-0321
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

:shock: they must have changed their program big time! The last set of pro1's I seen (probably 2 years old mind you) struggled to go 420 @ .800!

will have to try another set! Being that you are involved with the Maskin deal...In conversation, you wouldn't happen to know who is working on the new lsx stuff? Or better yet be able to get me in touch with them?

Thanks
Dennis
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

they must have changed their program big time! The last set of pro1's I seen (probably 2 years old mind you) struggled to go 420 @ .800!
I think he is talking about the 18 degree conventional head?

shawn
Darin Morgan
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Darin Morgan »

airflowdevelop wrote::shock: they must have changed their program big time! The last set of pro1's I seen (probably 2 years old mind you) struggled to go 420 @ .800!

will have to try another set! Being that you are involved with the Maskin deal...In conversation, you wouldn't happen to know who is working on the new lsx stuff? Or better yet be able to get me in touch with them?

Thanks
Dennis
I was talking about the 18 degree heads not the pro 1
Darin Morgan
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
Phone 817-467-7171
Cell 682-559-0321
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

Darin,
what do you get out of the Pro 1's on that motor?
shawn
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

Sorry boss...What CNC program for the 24 degree heads? yours or darts?

Dennis
Darin Morgan
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Darin Morgan »

airflowdevelop wrote:Sorry boss...What CNC program for the 24 degree heads? yours or darts?

Dennis
We use Darts cnc programs.

The only thing we do to the Pro1s is angle mill .100 , install a 2.325 intake valve and hand blend the intake side of the chamber.
Darin Morgan
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
Phone 817-467-7171
Cell 682-559-0321
hbps1978

Post by hbps1978 »

Darin, this is a little off the path of this conversation but when are we going to see the R&H GTO makes it's debut with Bruce Allen? Looks like Richard Maskin and Rickie Smith are running pretty well with the new Cobalt. Will the engine combination in the new R&H GTO be a R&H/Dart (Maskin) combo or just an R&H combo? I'm a long time fan of R&M racing way back to the years with Lee Shepard and I'd like to see the R&H car start going some rounds and winning some races and contending for the points in NHRA Pro Stock again! Good luck to all at R&H!
Performance is my passion