2 circuit carb block on 3 circuit dominator?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MAT

2 circuit carb block on 3 circuit dominator?

Post by MAT »

Is there a reason I can't try a 2 circuit block from my 8162 (4150 style) on a three circuit dominator?

I trying to get rid of a off idle "blubbering" on my custom 8896-2 3 circuit dominator (1500-2200 steady state cruise)- its gets much better with a huge int air bleed and lowered float level - so I would like to try a 4150-style 2 circuit block with its 2 circuit design - just on the primary side.

I would keep the original block, with no power valve and original calibration - for the track.

Has anyone else tried this? Is it the same as simply plugging the int fuel restriction and tuning from there?

I don't want to mess with the original block - fuel curves were great on the dyno and it hits the converter with a vengeance.

MAT
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I think if you get to looking at the gaskets of the 3 circuit carburetor you'll find that the meter block gaskets are taller (at the top) and the meter blocks are notched across most of the top length for the gasket to protrude and set up there higher.
-I don't remember exactly but maybe the air bleed holes are actually higher in the 3 circuit carbs than in standard 4150 applications.
-You should investigate that real close.
--------------------------------------------
-I would chase down the circuitry and either plug off the 3rd circuit by sticking the head of a small nail or something like short small tack into the 3rd circuit discharge hole---installed from the gasket side and held in place by the gasket---and continue using the stock 3 circuit meter blocks while you test that.
-----------------------------------------------
-One way to work out the details of that 3rd circuit discharge is to get some 8-32 brass setscrews from MSC and drill the holes in the meter blocks and tap'm so you can install the setscrews---then you can drill those set screws if you still want some air/fuel mixture to flow thru those discharges.
MAT

Post by MAT »

THx Bill:

I like the idea of an easy-to-remove intermediate port plug - in a place that won't wear any calibrated restrictions.

THx

MAT