Chev vs mopar

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SB671

Chev vs mopar

Post by SB671 »

We are currently running a small block chev in our race boat Our engine builder is a Mopar man and has tried to convert us for years but we have so far resisted
I realise that this is a very open question and will be subject to debate (dependant on what your weapon of choice is) but are there any definite advantages to a mopar small block over a chev?
From what I have seen the mopar performance gear and modifications dont seem to be up to the specification of good Chev gear. Maybe this is a result of being "down under" and we dont get the top shelf items.
For example we were shown the oil restrictor modification for the Mopar which involved copper tube and a steel slug to dent it with and this did not seem to measure up to a set of anodised alloy restrictors for the Chev

All information gratefully accepted
crazycuda
Expert
Expert

Post by crazycuda »

I think its like comparing apples to oranges. I love sb mopars and big block chev. also like the FE motors alot . But does that say one is better, not at all.
Im not saying the sb chev is not a stout package, but if you look at all the parts availabilty and all the r&d that has been done, it should be. The ford camp has been doing alot also look at what they have done with the 302. Mopar is back in nascar so they have been working hard also
IMHO, any motor is only as good as its builder/machinest and the parts used in it.
Sorry if I ask alot of questions, but you never stop learning if you ask questions
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

. Everyone has their favorite, be it sentimental, or familiarity. But, if your boat is already set up for a SBC, and you have spares,etc.... What is his reasoning? Are there are some class-rules that may favor one? I like dodges too, but, I'm missing the logic.

But, hell.. stir him up. Tell him you thought about what he said, and you're switching to a Ford.
SB671

Re Mopar

Post by SB671 »

Hi Ron
Logic is that our builder reckons he can get an extra 20hp from the mopar as opposed to the Chev given the same rules.
learner

Post by learner »

I'm a mopar fan but i don't know about convertingf. I'll tell you one thing, that copper tube deal is absurd! The modification i perform on them is just as good and only takes 10 minutes.
cboggs
Guru
Guru

Re: Re Mopar

Post by cboggs »

SB671 wrote:Hi Ron
Logic is that our builder reckons he can get an extra 20hp from the mopar as opposed to the Chev given the same rules.
Perhaps if we knew the rules a better assesment could be made, ..

Curtis
Race Flow Development
Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com
hornet340
Post by hornet340 »

I'm a mopar fan but i don't know about convertingf. I'll tell you one thing, that copper tube deal is absurd! The modification i perform on them is just as good and only takes 10 minutes.
Learner, any chance you mite expand on that trick?
bobqzzi
Expert
Expert
Post by bobqzzi »

Just curious, what do the rules call for? Is it just limited displacement, or are you lomited to domestic push-rod engines.
Donnie1126
Post by Donnie1126 »

I love Mopars but you're probably going to spend more than it's worth to convert.Like was said before there has been much more R&D on Chevies than Mopars.The availability along with the cheaper parts are going to make the Chevy superior to the Mopar for the same price.He's probably still thinking like alot of Moparheads about 30-40 years ago when Mopars were something to be reckoned with.Nowadays you're not racing against Chevy....Ford or Mopars.You're competing against aftermarket parts with other aftermarket parts.It's Brodix versus Edelbrock versus .......blah blah blah.
Torquemonster

Post by Torquemonster »

What everyone else has said with one proviso...

Assuming same cubes and head flow - if the rules mean you have to use factory blocks and factory lifter sizes - then the Mopar can be made to make more reliable power and with a fatter power curve... but to do it forget the shelf cams from the big grinders - they're pathetic on 0.904" lifters...

you have 2 advantages with a Mopar over a Chev

1 - lifter size is bigger allowing much more aggressive ramps - therefore more area under the curve, and more top end before losing too much at the bottom end of the curve... ideal for a boat where you need torque

2 - long rods - this will not make more power - but given a rod ratio in the 1.5's vs one in the 1.8's - on same materials - my money would be on the 1.8:1 rod ratio hanging in there at wide open throttle for longer, and being able to handle more sustained rpms...

Having said all that - Chev is so popular there are packages you can probably buy that cost 75% or less of what a custom Mopar will cost to beat it... but if the extra cost of the Mopar justifies another 20-30hp - that's your call.

re comparisons in quality - there are none if you go to the top shelf. Your problems start when you think you can bolt on Mopar Performance cataloge parts and go beat a top shelf racing Chev SB... won't happen.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Torquemonster wrote:What everyone else has said with one proviso...

Assuming same cubes and head flow - if the rules mean you have to use factory blocks and factory lifter sizes - then the Mopar can be made to make more reliable power and with a fatter power curve... but to do it forget the shelf cams from the big grinders - they're pathetic on 0.904" lifters...

you have 2 advantages with a Mopar over a Chev

1 - lifter size is bigger allowing much more aggressive ramps - therefore more area under the curve, and more top end before losing too much at the bottom end of the curve... ideal for a boat where you need torque

2 - long rods - this will not make more power - but given a rod ratio in the 1.5's vs one in the 1.8's - on same materials - my money would be on the 1.8:1 rod ratio hanging in there at wide open throttle for longer, and being able to handle more sustained rpms...

Having said all that - Chev is so popular there are packages you can probably buy that cost 75% or less of what a custom Mopar will cost to beat it... but if the extra cost of the Mopar justifies another 20-30hp - that's your call.

re comparisons in quality - there are none if you go to the top shelf. Your problems start when you think you can bolt on Mopar Performance cataloge parts and go beat a top shelf racing Chev SB... won't happen.

Agree 100%. I've seen some types of racing ( round track)where a mopar can make more power under the rules. Usually, it's an attempt to get more than one brand out there. If that's the case, I can see your engine builder's point.