Pro Stock Pontica Heads #427 for BBC Valve Train System

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

star393

Pro Stock Pontica Heads #427 for BBC Valve Train System

Post by star393 »

These heads came in many versions over its history 18 degree heads and one of them versions was finished head made without push rod holes in head. The idea was to let the engine builder ie( pro stocker) move the intake push rod over past the intake wall and do alot of porting on intake without needing to weld up the intake wall were the push rod use to be drilled thur part of the intake wall on previous versions. I have a set of these heads and am looking forward to using them new in the box. I have quite abit of valve train parts an i am in need of information on what intake rocker stand jesel or t&d to use here as a offset of appox. 0.500 is needed to put push rod outside the wall. I want to retain this feature of the head and not drill into the side of the intake wall and for future porting on bigger motors.
The body of a .500 offset is about 1.400 to 1.625 depending on , whats used so thats a whole diff. stand for the intake. Exhaust iam leaving alone. Jesel and T&D are not to willing to offer info on there sizes. so its hunt and peck or blow 2000.00 to them and let them outfit heads with valve train, not in my forcast thats for sure. So any infor from anybody that can advise me on part numbers of set up would be very helpful.
Douglas
SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

Post by SMITHBERGRACING »

I know this forum is full of knowledge! Maybe Darin Morgan or others could help you with this since it is an older Pro Stock head. I've tried looking for this info in the past myself and Jesel or T&D not wanting to let their info out. I hope someone can chime in.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

old prostock heads

Post by bigjoe1 »

Here is a very sad story-- About 15 years ago, someone I knew bought some older PS takeoffs for 10,000 dollars. He put them on his 468 bracket car and it SLOWED down a half second. After about a year later and 10,000 more dollars for a Lenco trans and clutch setup, He was going a tiny( one tenth) faster than he started out. I dont know what your going to do with these heads, but the total engine combo is very important.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

$20,000 for a tenth of a second. That is a sad story. I bet the $20,000 would have been put to much better use in his hindsight.
star393

my combo

Post by star393 »

3200 # chevelle 64 ss
538 dana 4 link 25.5 chassis

rpm area 7000 thur 9000 541 BBC 14.4.1 no power adders .840 roller at 302 @ .050 385 seat 960 open
4 speed car 302 first clutchless liberty sinder iron 11" clutch

sheetmetal intake dual quads 850,s

ill be doing bowl work port matching and 1.88 exh and possible 2.300 intake what ever i can squeeze in 4.375 hole with eyebrowing block
running 1.94 and 2.300 in iron 990 heads now.
$um Toy
Post by $um Toy »

From what you said about your combination, you don't have a lot of bore to work with so getting the flow you need is going to be difficult. Also 9000 RPM with a 4.5" stroke is pushing it, you better have some GOOD parts, and an oiling system up to the task.
revolutionary
Guru
Guru

Post by revolutionary »

You just need to call Jesel or T&D directly to get the part numbers. IMO those heads are still way too big for a 540 inch engine. You'll want to shrink the runners down and into an oval shape to get them working right for you. Also you'll want dual dominators not 850s. My employee and his dad run those on a 615BBC with pretty similar cam in a nitrous engine and they do pretty well but they are definitely big.
Daryl

Revolutionary Performance and Machine
star393

Post by star393 »

I sure do push it and break em too.

$um Toy wrote:From what you said about your combination, you don't have a lot of bore to work with so getting the flow you need is going to be difficult. Also 9000 RPM with a 4.5" stroke is pushing it, you better have some GOOD parts, and an oiling system up to the task.
Sure do been doing this for 42 years and a 25 year vacation

454,s 10,500 out of the water

396 402 bury it.

283,s 327 sbc way past a 10,000 tac,

and not just anybody can do that either so yes its impossible but yes it is done. Good parts and alot of OEM parts too properly prep ed.
And the most important part FASTENERS and the how too.

Us old guys ha ha can make power without a credit card
Last edited by star393 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
star393

pro stock head

Post by star393 »

Jesl and T&D are keeping there info top secert unless you give them a blank check and send them the heads. So if the infor is out there type away.
star393

Post by star393 »

please keep reading
want-a-be

Post by want-a-be »

I have some old Pontiac Pro Stock heads. I have them more for a keep sake then anything else. They are some old Butch Leal heads. I would be intrested in getting rid of them if they are what you're wanting. Not sure of the part number on them.

PM me if your intrested.

Don
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

What are the rules of the class you are running, or is this a bracket car? I could do you a set of RHS conventional heads that will blow the 990 chev. heads in the weeds.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
trmnatr

Post by trmnatr »

star393 wrote:I sure do push it and break em too.

$um Toy wrote:From what you said about your combination, you don't have a lot of bore to work with so getting the flow you need is going to be difficult. Also 9000 RPM with a 4.5" stroke is pushing it, you better have some GOOD parts, and an oiling system up to the task.

396 402 bury it.

and not just anybody can do that either so yes its impossible but yes it is done. Good parts and alot of OEM parts too properly prep ed.

Not gonna fight with you, Serious question

If you can do all this stuff with stock parts,,,,,

1) Why dont you go race NHRA or IHRA Stock or Super Stock :lol:
2) Why dont you just stick with your 10,500rpm heads :?:
star393

Post by star393 »

[quote="trmnatr"][quote="star393"]I sure do push it and break em too.

[quote="$um Toy"]From what you said about your combination, you don't have a lot of bore to work with so getting the flow you need is going to be difficult. Also 9000 RPM with a 4.5" stroke is pushing it, you better have some GOOD parts, and an oiling system up to the task.[/quote]

396 402 bury it.

Us old guys ha ha can make power without a credit card[/quote]

2) Why dont you just stick with your 10,500rpm heads :?:[/quote]

First of all i did prove that already in the 70,s running altered you know weight to cubic inches it was no fun i ran away with everything we didnot have great time slips like today. That was three diff. tracks.
I have been thinking of putting my sbc back together again just to prove a point. The 461 heads are gone but still have my turbo 292 heads they ran me to 10.98 @124 mph in my little 283CI motor yep 10500 valve float at 11,000 stock rods steel crank 2 bolt mains chevy forged pistons 56cc angled milled heads now you dont think for one min. that stock push rods were used do ya, trw oil pump and 10 quart pan. roller cam. The hours involved in preping a set of rods is endless, crank too and a over bal. bottom end. I would buy a 4340 set of rods next go around why push my luck with the old ones. The flat tappet cams advailable back then were fair and i ran 11.20,s with that and oem rockers so alot can be had when things are done right. My point in all this was to let people of today know that stock parts can be used if done right and a person can have fun and still go fast on a strict buget with oem parts. You dont have to spend alot of money and go fast people are losing the abilty to practice real mechcanics and thinking back to the basics. I call today the big candy store of speed get out your credit card and order and ask afew people for combo info and slap it all together, which is great but like math. get out the calulator and punch buttons and cant do it on paper with a pencil. It keeps everyone else rich and the poor , poorer with no real knowledge of what there really doing. And if you really have money order and engine put it in and go racing. Besides a motor is one thing hooking up that power to the ground is another, another area that is lost with people or racers, chassic and the function or making it all work. I sure wish i had 60 ft time slips from back then because i know i was running atleast 1.150 times, i run 1.245 now without even trying to tune my 4 link. Power adders wow go fast with a slow winding motor and enjoy but when it goes boom your done big time. And yes cast pistons can go fast to but watch out for them valves thats big trouble then. All the functions of all the internal parts on a high rpm motor have to be done right or it will never live. After the sbc came my BBC 454 closed chamber heads stock steel rods steel crank flat tappet cam forged pistons 2 bolt mains spun that to 9500 10,000 also 9.89 138 mph in a chevy 2 in 1974 . I had alot of work trying to keep a 4 speed in that car that thing was like a arrow off a cross bow.
Heads just make the thing breath valve train is the ticket to high RPM,s not heads, better heads equal more air and more power and better flame travel and quench. Heads today are just fantasic compaired to yesterday along with shaft rockers.

So here i go bla bla bla .

Douglas
new engine builder
Expert
Expert
Post by new engine builder »

star393 wrote:
trmnatr wrote:
star393 wrote:I sure do push it and break em too.

396 402 bury it.

2) Why dont you just stick with your 10,500rpm heads :?:

First of all i did prove that already in the 70,s running altered you know weight to cubic inches it was no fun i ran away with everything we didnot have great time slips like today. That was three diff. tracks.
I have been thinking of putting my sbc back together again just to prove a point. The 461 heads are gone but still have my turbo 292 heads they ran me to 10.98 @124 mph in my little 283CI motor yep 10500 valve float at 11,000 stock rods steel crank 2 bolt mains chevy forged pistons 56cc angled milled heads now you dont think for one min. that stock push rods were used do ya, trw oil pump and 10 quart pan. roller cam. The hours involved in preping a set of rods is endless, crank too and a over bal. bottom end. I would buy a 4340 set of rods next go around why push my luck with the old ones. The flat tappet cams advailable back then were fair and i ran 11.20,s with that and oem rockers so alot can be had when things are done right. My point in all this was to let people of today know that stock parts can be used if done right and a person can have fun and still go fast on a strict buget with oem parts. You dont have to spend alot of money and go fast people are losing the abilty to practice real mechcanics and thinking back to the basics. I call today the big candy store of speed get out your credit card and order and ask afew people for combo info and slap it all together, which is great but like math. get out the calulator and punch buttons and cant do it on paper with a pencil. It keeps everyone else rich and the poor , poorer with no real knowledge of what there really doing. And if you really have money order and engine put it in and go racing. Besides a motor is one thing hooking up that power to the ground is another, another area that is lost with people or racers, chassic and the function or making it all work. I sure wish i had 60 ft time slips from back then because i know i was running atleast 1.150 times, i run 1.245 now without even trying to tune my 4 link. Power adders wow go fast with a slow winding motor and enjoy but when it goes boom your done big time. And yes cast pistons can go fast to but watch out for them valves thats big trouble then. All the functions of all the internal parts on a high rpm motor have to be done right or it will never live. After the sbc came my BBC 454 closed chamber heads stock steel rods steel crank flat tappet cam forged pistons 2 bolt mains spun that to 9500 10,000 also 9.89 138 mph in a chevy 2 in 1974 . I had alot of work trying to keep a 4 speed in that car that thing was like a arrow off a cross bow.
Heads just make the thing breath valve train is the ticket to high RPM,s not heads, better heads equal more air and more power and better flame travel and quench. Heads today are just fantasic compaired to yesterday along with shaft rockers.

So here i go bla bla bla .

Douglas
Stock steel rods?,stock steel crank? 9,500 10,000 rpms?
Flat tappet cam?
KA-BOOM!!!
I'm new to engine building but not this new. :lol: