Garage shop building

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

Mr. P.

Post by Mr. P. » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:51 pm

cpmotors wrote:... I designed and made a bracket that mounts mine up on the wall in the corner above my rear door...
Dude bad ass!! I'm going to have to steal your idea for my garage ;)

Mr. P. :)
Either learn to fix it, or learn to write checks.

cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:31 pm

Mr. P. wrote:
cpmotors wrote:... I designed and made a bracket that mounts mine up on the wall in the corner above my rear door...
Dude bad ass!! I'm going to have to steal your idea for my garage ;)

Mr. P. :)
It does get some looks when people see it the first time. Some don't even notice until it starts up.
Heres a closer look-
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills

dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Nice Mounting idea for the compressor.

Engguy
Guru
Guru

Post by Engguy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:57 am

Siemens makes a good electronic controler/phase converter, kinda pricey though. Electronic controls like it.
As far as building a converter all you need is a 3 phase motor, and some capacitors, I used to run a big lincoln welder that had a 30 hp 3 phase motor off single phase, the more 3 phase motors you have on line the better your 3 phase power is.
I see why you left Washington, you can spend 30k here for a building permit and have them turn you down, thats in King county, no you don't get the 30K back, read an article about that one some time ago.

SchmidtMotorWorks
Guru
Guru

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:55 pm

Siemens makes a good electronic controler/phase converter, kinda pricey though. Electronic controls like it.
As far as building a converter all you need is a 3 phase motor, and some capacitors, I used to run a big lincoln welder that had a 30 hp 3 phase motor off single phase, the more 3 phase motors you have on line the better your 3 phase power is.
I see why you left Washington, you can spend 30k here for a building permit and have them turn you down, thats in King county, no you don't get the 30K back, read an article about that one some time ago.
Do you have a link to the Siemens piece? I might be able to get a discount on it.

Yah Washington had some good points but it had changed a lot from how it was when I lived there in the 80's. I lived in King County, Mercer Island to be exact, that is about as nice of a place as you will find in Washington but more of a place for sailboats than racing engines.

Shop progress: Dug the yard up for concrete, someone is going to perfect the grading and put in the forms and footings this week. I hope to pour concrete in about two weeks.
http://www.schmidtmotorworks.com Aerospace Machine Work: Prototypes, Tooling, Molds.

airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:45 pm

cpmotors wrote:I cant say the extra cost would be to me but...
If you call them and talk to the tech guy-Jay i think- he can help you better than me. I would think it depends on how sensitive Mori Seki controls are, but I cant see it being an issue.

I'm sure you have a good number of ideas but here's some of mine-

-Ceiling fans, (house 5-blade reversible, not lame shop fans)
-LOTS of light with multiple options to turn different groups on
-Outlets all over, even up high on the wall for lights, clocks,etc.
-U COAT IT brand epoxy paint on floor, skip the flakes. Makes for a brighter shop and easy to clean dirt,oil,coolant,grease off floor.
-Sink and hot water
-I have 10' ceilings in my shop, so I have OSB on lower 4' of walls and painted white drywall on upper. Makes it easy to mount stuff on lower part of walls and no worries about dings/nicks, bright reflective on top.
-Air Compressor- I dont know how big you can build but I wanted as much floor space as possible, and my Air Compressor just seemed to waste space and was always a pain to drain moisture, and the nice mess that makes. I designed and made a bracket that mounts mine up on the wall in the corner above my rear door. I made a bracket to turn the pump 90* and added a pipe nipple and ball valve to the now bottom side of the tank. Added 6' of 3/8" clear hose, open door, open ball valve and blow all the moisture outside :D I'v thought about mounting a train steam whistle outside and hooking that hose up to it more than once........

Whats in the cooler?

cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:19 pm

airflowdevelop wrote: Image

Whats in the cooler?
Multiple choices of adult beverages :D to go with the 3 flavors of charcoal grilled Brats sitting in the Nesco roaster you cant see sitting on the bench to the right.
The long off seasons (winters) get to be a drag, so a group of us get together a few times a winter to BS, eat, and watch drag videos,Two Lane Blacktop, American Graffit, Hollywood Nights, etc. I happened to be hosting that night, good time for pics with everything organized. I've since gained more machines and less room.
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining

defrag010
Pro
Pro

Post by defrag010 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:23 pm

Sweet, is that a 15A I see?

AROT

Post by AROT » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Jon,
Are you sure you want a cement block building in Calif.?? From
experience I'd go for a steel building well insulated and heat pump. When they pour concrete for steel buildings here, the form has a lip at the top that the steel sits down on to make things flush.
Regards,

SchmidtMotorWorks
Guru
Guru

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:25 pm

Jon,
Are you sure you want a cement block building in Calif.??
My thinking for choosing cement block is to limit the noise coming from my shop.
http://www.schmidtmotorworks.com Aerospace Machine Work: Prototypes, Tooling, Molds.

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:09 pm

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Jon,
My thinking for choosing cement block is to limit the noise coming from my shop.
Take a look.

http://www.forms.org/index.php?act=energysaving

AROT

Post by AROT » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:34 pm

Was thinking more in terms of earthquakes than sound. Regards,

airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:04 pm

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Jon,
Jon,
My building is 12" block. Had a local company fill the block with a pressurized liquid foam for insulation (R24). It does an excellent job of blocking sound. I would think you could find someone local to do this. they drill a 1/2" hole in every core and pump it in. This was back in 2004 when I built the new shop, 12' walls above ground and 9' below. 50x70 building... cost was CHEAP @ $2500. No mess and they were in and out in a day!

cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:10 pm

defrag010 wrote:Sweet, is that a 15A I see?
Defrag010! How's school going?

No, just a 15. Circa 1954, rebuilt in '86. Picked it up a few years ago when I called one of the local rebuilders about grinding a Ford 3.8? crank, and they said no, we dont do that anymore, you wanna buy the grinder? I bought the grinder that year instead of valvetrain for my engine. :roll: Had it all apart and cleaned/painted,etc. Learned alot from reading your threads (crank grinder is pissing me off!) so I built this stroke gauge after screwing around with the first crank and was off .005" on the stroke. +/- .001" is not a problem now on stroke.

Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining

SchmidtMotorWorks
Guru
Guru

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:25 am

My building is 12" block.
I haven't seen 12" block here, the standard block is 8 x 8 x 16. What are the other dimensions of the 12" block?