another vortec 406 build...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

nebdrummer wrote:now for the heads, yes im a noob... but hey, thats why we ask right?

wanting more lift out of the 100% stock vortec's. these are gm performance 062's. ive heard of guys using stock yellow LS6 beehive springs with the heads with no machining needed? i looked a little on this forum but couldnt find anything on it so i figured what the hell.

comp cams beehive retainers, part number 787-16

all done ready for .550 lift and 120 bucks.
what on valve seals? also HEARD of guys also using daytona turbo seals?

ive HEARD alot, i wanna know what i CAN use!

would this work? anyone know about this?
anyone else done a conversion?
This is a set of 906 Vortecs I did-
Keep in mind I did a 3-angle on the exhaust that lowered the valves -.030", which added to the installed height.
I also cut the guides for a .531" seal but did not shorten the top of the guide.
So with stock valve and retainer, I ended up at this clearance-
With SS stock length valve from Comp Products-
With SS Valve,stock retainer and seal-
With SS Valve, CC787-16 retainer, stock seal-
Stock Intake Valve and CC787-16 retainer-
With SS Valve and CC787-16 retainer-
I used the CC 26915 springs for this, no spring pocket work at all. 1.800" installed height when done. The CC787-16 retainers are about .050" shorter on the bottom than the stockers.
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
nebdrummer
Post by nebdrummer »

cpmotors wrote:
nebdrummer wrote:now for the heads, yes im a noob... but hey, thats why we ask right?

wanting more lift out of the 100% stock vortec's. these are gm performance 062's. ive heard of guys using stock yellow LS6 beehive springs with the heads with no machining needed? i looked a little on this forum but couldnt find anything on it so i figured what the hell.

comp cams beehive retainers, part number 787-16

all done ready for .550 lift and 120 bucks.
what on valve seals? also HEARD of guys also using daytona turbo seals?

ive HEARD alot, i wanna know what i CAN use!

would this work? anyone know about this?
anyone else done a conversion?
This is a set of 906 Vortecs I did-
Keep in mind I did a 3-angle on the exhaust that lowered the valves -.030", which added to the installed height.
I also cut the guides for a .531" seal but did not shorten the top of the guide.
So with stock valve and retainer, I ended up at this clearance-
With SS stock length valve from Comp Products-
With SS Valve,stock retainer and seal-
With SS Valve, CC787-16 retainer, stock seal-
Stock Intake Valve and CC787-16 retainer-
With SS Valve and CC787-16 retainer-
I used the CC 26915 springs for this, no spring pocket work at all. 1.800" installed height when done. The CC787-16 retainers are about .050" shorter on the bottom than the stockers.
awesome pics! thank you for posting those.

now im curious, the pictures of the stock leingth comp cams valves, how do those give more lift than the stockers? are them the ones you did a 3 angle valve job on?

this is basically what i wanted to do.

those seals, what are they? do you have a part number?

i am unsure of the stock vortec valve seal diameters let alone any of them

i was going to go with daytona turbo 2.2 seals, they are also able to work with stock vortecs as well. so ill be doing some measuring before running thats for sure, but ill let everyone here know how it turns out as well!!

thank you!
sstpres
Post by sstpres »

neb,

Have a set of 906's set-up just like cpmotors above. They have new SS valves(Stk length), CC787 retainers and 26915 springs. No machining.
Will take a >.550" lift cam. Also had a set with 26918 springs set-up the same way for a hyd roller with more seat pressure
nebdrummer
Post by nebdrummer »

great to hear, this is why i wanted to ask because after starting to do a little math, i thought why couldnt it work?

and whos to say that this isnt the right way either? :( :? just a different way to get the same results right?
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

Neb,
The seals in the photos are the stock Vortec seals, they would work just fine. I just cut them for the more standard seals I have on the shelf.
The valves are the budget Stainless steel valves from Competion Products.
When I cut the 3-angle exhaust seats, I moved the seat to the outer edge of the valve and added a 35 degree topcut, that is what added the installed height and more clearance, about .030". The valves are just a little taller than the stocker and added another .030" or so.
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Re: another vortec 406 build...

Post by cpmotors »

nebdrummer wrote:hey guys, im new here and i was wondering what kind of answers i could get out of ya?

went through 5 509 400's just to find a good one, have one more to pull apart that i KNOW was good when taken out, anyways, have a set of BONE STOCK vortecs, 062's, building the short block with the KB -22 D dish piston which should be around 9.8-9.9 comp

i know there was a build up in a magazing a couple years ago, but that was a smooth idlin bracketmaster

im kinda wanting somehting with sommore power and something thats lumpy??

will consider cutting down the heads and putting better valve springs in if needed?

just kind of curious what you guys might have in mind as of cam choice or any other mods that you think might be nessesary? would like to stay hydraulic but if i can get a bit more power, then i would "consider" going solid?

this is all going to be street/strip build, gas milage i dont care about, just wanna go fast. !!!

thanks guys!

1950 chevy pickup (4000 lbs)
700r4
750 holley
Don't have photos of it on the website yet but my Pops has a '53 GMC that is similar to yours. I built a mild 355 for it, 700r4,3.42's with 285/70's on steel wheels. It runs 13.55 @100 and gets 18mpg@80mph(2200rpm).
Maybe you should unload the bed :shock: , his is only 3300 lbs.
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
nebdrummer
Post by nebdrummer »

haha good god, 3300 lbs.. i wish.. i have an elky front end on it, SOON to be full custom interior, (we just opened a trim shop) 22 gallon DIAMOND PLATE steel gas tank in back. and its a 3/4 ton. so with me i figured it should be pretty close to 4000 lbs full weight..

before the interior/stereo, half tank, and with me it was 3780.. and me at 180 puts it at 3600 lbs for a long box...

and DANG! 18 mpg @ 80!!! the ol 283 i had a best of 23mpg mainly highway with them vortec's and an overdrive with the 4.10's.

heres a dolled up pic of it..

nebdrummer
Post by nebdrummer »

well i tamed the build down just a bit from the lunati 60104 i was plannin on, so i went with the XE 274. this way i shouldnt HAVE to put in the screw in studs and i can still use my roller rockers i already have.

should run alright ?

do you think 490 lift is too much for push ins on the vortecs?

ive heard that the vortecs are pushed in harder?

also, what do you guys think about the knockoff airgap intakes? i can get one for my vortec for 75 bucks? i have a performer for the vortec but either way im gonna end up port matching. but what is your imput on them?