any significant differences in the mpg and grp aluminum rod

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

badbug3
Pro
Pro

any significant differences in the mpg and grp aluminum rod

Post by badbug3 »

i was needing a set of rods for bbc twin turbo and was wondering if there were any differences to consider between the 2 rods ?
dan miller

Post by dan miller »

We use both, and they are very fine pieces. Some subtle differences, but I'd bet that they are pretty equal.

Danny
trmnatr

Post by trmnatr »

mgp was connected with GRP in the past, guy left GRP and opened up MGP from what i understand

I like GRP, just my opinion
srv601
Post by srv601 »

bad bug i thought the bbc twin turbo was for a endurance/rec boat? aluminum is a bad choice to much heat ,great for a drag application
rooster

Post by rooster »

michael giannone is the common thread of GRP(giannone racing products) and MGP(michael giannone performance). He started GRP and later created MGP. Both are excellent rods, but I prefer the personal service from the man himself at MGP. Groden also makes high quality aluminum rods.
Hot Rod
Post by Hot Rod »

What is the expected life span for aluminum rods in a drag race application? I realize it depends on the perticular application. Is it possible for them to live in a street enviroment without trouble, or is heat a major issue?
badbug3
Pro
Pro

Post by badbug3 »

srv601 wrote:bad bug i thought the bbc twin turbo was for a endurance/rec boat? aluminum is a bad choice to much heat ,great for a drag application
I have more than one twin turbo engine that i am associated with and im well aware of the endurance side of things. I have a twin turbo deal that im working on also for a drag race boat. I appreciate your input though. As a matter of fact, i have bought up several twin turbo engines that were tom gentrys offshore donovan engines that he ran in the mid 90's . There were about 10 engines that i made a deal on and i have been changing them up for different applications and selling some of them and using some. They are very nice engines.
Ron C.
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron C. »

My own personal race engine gets MGP rods. They use the A-1 rod bolt which is superior. But GRP and BME make a good rod.

Blessings.........Ron.
Creekside Racing Ministry
John 14:6
Ron Clevenger
CSU Gas Dominator ProCharger nonintercooled
Top Eliminator West http://www.topeliminatorwest.net
Steve Morris http://www.stevemorrisengines.com
6.49@219mph (still tunning)
SKeown
Expert
Expert

Post by SKeown »

BME claim their rods are good for 100,000 miles on the street?

SKeown
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

The MGP rods will cost you more money and are no better.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines