wind tunnel testing

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

gas

wind tunnel testing

Post by gas »

Not aware of such a post here, so thot I'd inform the forum.
A relatively inexpensive source for wind tunnel testing is becoming available.
Ah... bit of a waiting list however, as I understand it.

Gary

http://www.aerodynwindtunnel.com/
http://www.a2wt.com/
Learning stops when breathing stops.
Team Owner

Post by Team Owner »

Aerodynamics do not play a part in racing - such as dirt track or your local Saturday night specials until you go over 120 MPH.

Anyone that is in the racing buisness already knows where the wind tunnels are located. Where as most people that race Saturday nights at your local tracks wouldn't benifit from that technology because the expense wouldn't offset the cost.

Plus all it takes is one yahoo trading paint to mess up your aero package and then you are done.

Just look at what that idiot in the 5 did today at Daytona. His last name is BUSCH, that says it all.
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

Aerodynamics do not play a part in racing - such as dirt track or your local Saturday night specials until you go over 120 MPH.
Actually, at least in pavement late models, aero does have an effect. This is on a 3/8 medium banked track.

shawn
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: wind tunnel testing

Post by SupStk »

gas wrote:Not aware of such a post here, so thot I'd inform the forum.
A relatively inexpensive source for wind tunnel testing is becoming available.
Ah... bit of a waiting list however, as I understand it.

Gary

http://www.aerodynwindtunnel.com/
http://www.a2wt.com/
Often heard of it but wasn't aware that wind tunnel testing was so cashy. I see their price is $12,500 for a 10 hour session.

Not being familar with the testing process, what is involved and how are measurments taken?

Noticed that cars can be tested with the wheels spinning, what difference does that make on the aerodynamics?
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

Not being familar with the testing process, what is involved and how are measurments taken?

Noticed that cars can be tested with the wheels spinning, what difference does that make on the aerodynamics?
I sure your familiar with the basic's of a big fan blowing air over the car. The closer you can simulate the actual conditions a car runs under,the better your results will be. By having a moving floor, you are going to get better results.
You can test for just about anything, from downforce to drag. One of the ways to measure down force is with with travel devices that will move and show how much the car "squats" with a given amount of air going across it. They will also use tabs and strings along with smoke to show air movement over the body.
shawn
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Thanks for the reply Shawn.

I already knew about the smoke testing, string potentiometers for suspension movement and some of the other aspects I had picked up from tidbits i read.

The moving floor, I really like to see that, must be like a caterpillar tractor going 200MPH. When first reading their web site I had envisioned powered rollers spinning the wheels.

For measuring drag, do they use a load sensor connected to the car or is it a math function knowing what the tunnel will flow with nothing in it?
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

If you go to the site above and look at the car setup photos you can see that the car is actually suspended at the four corners. This allows you to measure lift/downforce and drag by the movement of the car. The is a formula that they use to calculate movement into drag.
shawn
RyonPro1
Post by RyonPro1 »

Often heard of it but wasn't aware that wind tunnel testing was so cashy. I see their price is $12,500 for a 10 hour session.

Check on the A2WT link, they been working on a lower priced wind tunnel so that sportsman style racers can take advantage of a tunnel. So of the local drag racing vendors that have been making scoops and other composite bodies for roadsters and all may finally get a chance to see some good info. Ever see how many styles of hood scoops are availabel from Bickel, Jones, McAmis?

Anyway in case you don't feel like checking.
TENTATIVE FIRST-VISIT Pricing:

A short 2 hour session for only $690

A full 4 hour session for only $1480

Discounts given for up to a 6 hour session

TENTATIVE REGULAR Pricing:

$490 per hour (2 hour minimum

Have fun and see you at the wind tunnel huh? :D
In God we trust, all others bring data!
RyonPro1
Post by RyonPro1 »

Hee hee hee,
That was my first time trying to quote. I know, I know, you couldn't tell. Sorry about that. Just the first sentence was to be a quote. Do better next time.
Shawn
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Like that signature almost as well as Madbill's