Cool Cans

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

PDQ

Cool Cans

Post by PDQ »

Cool Cans ? Do they work ? Did they ever work ? I see they are still advertised for sale in some catalogs. I would assume that means they are selling them or are overstocked with them.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

I'd say there was more of a need when people were running mechanical fuel pumps that heated up the fuel.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
comp
Post by comp »

i like them
CWAGO

Post by CWAGO »

What do they look like, is there a link I can see one at??
PDQ

Cool Cans

Post by PDQ »

comp,

Are you currently using a cool can ? We are looking for anything that will help a footbrake car run its number more consistantly . I know, I know, thats what everyone is trying to do, but if they work its a cheap " trick " , and no one seems to be using them. I am looking for real time test from someone. Don gave the most probable and maybe the only reason for thier use but if they also work with electric pumps it for sure a cost effective (CHEAP) way to help consistency. Anyway thanks for all replies !
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-Racing oval track and at Bonneville we've used our own versions of "cool cans" where we insulate the fuel hoses to and from the fuel tank, and insulated the fuel tank, and then we also run the return hose bypass thru the cool can so that fuel is being constantly cooled going in both directions.
-The only downsides that I can see is: the additional weight, and the refill and drain maintenance of the warm water, and maybe NOT understanding or never having investigated the evaporation curves of your fuel and what to do about 'm.
-------------------------------------
-If you REALLY want to know the affects of the cool can maybe you should investigate the temperatures of the fuel in the bowls and in the
tank.
-Since you are looking for consistency what difference does the fuel temperature make as long as it is just held at some consistant temperature?
impulse

cool cans

Post by impulse »

We use one on our Kenworth, It worked ok, we used dry ice in the can and had fuel lines in a secondary can around the dry ice.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

I used to run one on my Super Stock car, mostly because everyone else had them. Later on running in the brackets I dumped the cool can and really couldn't tell a descernable difference.

Bill Jones..... Care to elaborate on what a person should be looking for in fuel evaporation curves?
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

Do you think it is possible/feasable and /or worthwhile to use liquid co2 injected into the cool can or some other type of chamber that the fuel lines pass through just before the carb. Sort of like a n2o set up. I think the co2 would be much colder and less weight ( due to it being in a gaseous phase ) than the dry ice. Could someone expand on this idea or am I swinging at a pitch in the dirt ? Thanks.....
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The fuel mixing system (relative carb size, booster design, injector spray pattern, etc..) as well as the distillation curve of the particular fuel being used, plus the ambient and intake system temps are all significant factors in whether/how a cool can works, but there is some simple physics at work also: The Specific Heat of gasoline is far higher than that of air, so even though it constitutes only say 1/13th the mass, it has a significant influence on the intake charge temperature, and we all know that within reason, cooler is better..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.