Home Brew Octane Booster recipes - what have you got?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Home Brew Octane Booster recipes - what have you got?

Post by shoedoos »

Anyone with a home brew recipe for an octane booster, please post it here. Obviously the ingredients need to be readily available.
BGriff

Post by BGriff »

Toluene and benzene.
What number are you trying to reach?
Too many hobbies
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

Ordinary Acetone.. not a wonder-brew or very kind to anything rubber /plastic, but it works...
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

BGriff, presently the car runs on 98 octane BP Ultimate pump gas to which we add an off-the-shelf octane booster. I really don't know what the octane booster bumps the rating up to, as the bottle generally just gets thrown in the bin.

The engine is a 470 cube BBC with 12.5 compression in a street driven Camaro.
Nick Campagna
Pro
Pro
Post by Nick Campagna »

Benzene is cancerous, so be careful. Most boosters say 2 - 3 points which means 100 - 100.3 NOT 100 - 103
Is the defect in what I see, or what I'm seeing with ?
BGriff

Post by BGriff »

Forget the off the shelf stuff....waste of money.
Try 15-20% toluene in 93 octane pump gas.
You can purchase it by the gallon or 5 gallon can at the paint or hardware store. Cheaper yet in 55 gallon drum.
Running methanol now, but used up the left over toluene in the tow vehicle mixing 15% in 87 octane pump gas. Truck never ran better.
Do a search for "toluene octane". You'll get plenty of hits, testimonials and formulas.
Too many hobbies
Rizzle
Expert
Expert

Post by Rizzle »

The application for the octane booster makes a huge difference in the ability to bump up the rating. At my favorite parts store, they have 2 versions of it on the shelf (NOS). the street version does 6 points, as was mentioned earlier, this doesn't do much, but the race version say 60 points, which becomes a definite boost in octane rating. I am in Canada, and I recall reading somewhere that we are allowed to sell certain octane boosters not available down south, so...?
xanadu
Pro
Pro

Post by xanadu »

That is a great point you make on an octane booster enhancing fuel octane by 1 point as in 0.1. / 93 - 93.1.

Great marketing ploy.

Usually say "UP TO" 6 points or so.
They try and sell it over here for "UP TO" $35 for 600ml.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Toluene and xylene are very useful octane boosters. They have very high octane numbers but are not easy to evaporate. You could use up to 20% of either component.

Do not use benzene, ever. Very bad stuff.

A splash of leaded (118) race fuel will raise octane significantly but the actual octane increase cannot be determined without an examination of all fuel components.
phat68

Post by phat68 »

Xlyene works also, if you have no dettonation you don't need the booster
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

David Redszus - have you got a more specific percentage as far as a "splash" of leaded is concerned?
mach1charlie
Post by mach1charlie »

100 LL avation fuel, really has a lot of lead in it compared to highway fuel.

Benzine is bad stuff. Know a guy who had a heart attack in his 40s. Doc asked "ever been exposed to benzine ?" he had been mixing his own fuel.

Toulene is a good octane booster. has been used straight for fuel (honda).

Acetone will let you blend nitro with gas.

mach1charlie
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

shoedoos wrote:David Redszus - have you got a more specific percentage as far as a "splash" of leaded is concerned?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to calculate the octane increase due to the addition of lead to gasoline unless the exact compositon of the gasoline is known.
The reason is that lead will react with each fuel component in a different way. Lead added to some components will significantly increase octane, some will be insensitive and with some, octane will actually be reduced.

As a very general guide (very, very general) you could use a weighted average. The addition of 10% leaded race fuel added to pump gas will raise the octane index by about one full point, i.e, 93-->94.

As a matter of record, AvGas does not contain a high level of lead. The highest levels of lead are found in very high octane (118-119) race fuels.
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

I thought a tiny bit of lead did help boost octane a bit. When I mean tiny its like .01% or .001% Unleaded gasoline used to be like that until the mid 90's I believe, them for 1996 emission controls got so advance all lead had to be out of gasoline.

I believe I have the dates right, its been awhile but still recall it well--unless it was in the mid 80's. Might be mid 80's cause I recall an older guy and me talking about it then and its been very long since I seen him last.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Once upon a time, the addition of leaded fuel to unleaded fuel would raise the octane to a higher level than either individual component. Those days are now gone since the fuel components have changed and are much less sensitive to the addition of lead.