boost reference on roots blower?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Sirshredalot

boost reference on roots blower?

Post by Sirshredalot »

Hey guys,

IM helping a friend with a supercharged engine.

Hes got a mild 383 with a 142 blower on it...He has a race pumps fuel pump and regulator. but the regulator continually creeps up in pressure until it floods the engine out....will not adjust pressure period.

also it has no bypass...strange?

Does anyone have any experience with these? Can we just just substitute a good bypass regulator...like an aeromotive?

Race pumps does not recomend any other regulator....but we are getting frustrated because everything is new and theykeep telling us theregulator has debris in it but it has been disassembled multiple times and checked...it is pristine.

Please and thank you

God bless
-Shred
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru
Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Probably the fuel pressure is overcoming the regulator's spring pressure.

You need a return line with a blower motor.

Install the regulator at return line and a fuel gauge at carb.

This way the engine will receive the full volume of fuel and only the unused fuel will be send back to the fuel tank.

hope this helps; :wink:
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
Eric68
Expert
Expert
Post by Eric68 »

I built and tuned one very similar (mild 383 with Weiand 177) and we had no problems with a bypass regulator and Aeromotive SS pump.

The combo responded very well to a larger 850 cfm carburetor -- boost referencing was not necessary in this case because the small blower could not pull enough vacuum on the bottom of the carb to close the power valve at WOT. Boost referenced power valve would be nice though.

You also do not need/want to boost reference the pressure regulator with a roots setup. (kind of obvious but I thought I would mention it)
E85 racer and E85 carb builder
www.horsepowerinnovations.com

68 Camaro 427" E85 powered small block, 9.95 @ 133 mph best motor ET through the mufflers. 1.319 best sixty foot.
Tokyo Torquer
Pro
Pro

Post by Tokyo Torquer »

As Eric stated.. boost referencing is not needed for roots blowers as the carb is not exposed to positive pressures.. I have built a 350 with a 162ci mini blower and a single 750 holley.

You have way overcomplicated the fuel system needs for that motor. A good, cheap, tried and true mechanical pump like a Carter 172 can easily feed that motor's needs and no bypass needed or boost referencing needed.

mike
1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 8-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/250@.050-.523/.542 lift-112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs
Ron C.
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron C. »

You've just got a bad regulator. You can run a (dead headed) regulator like the holley 132-2 or something like the Moroso (by-pass) fuel log. I've run both types and they work very good.

Like mentioned, your application does not apply for the boost referenced regulator.

Blessings..............Ron.
Creekside Racing Ministry
John 14:6
Ron Clevenger
CSU Gas Dominator ProCharger nonintercooled
Top Eliminator West http://www.topeliminatorwest.net
Steve Morris http://www.stevemorrisengines.com
6.49@219mph (still tunning)