mutli sleeving a v8 block?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

crazycuda
Expert
Expert

mutli sleeving a v8 block?

Post by crazycuda »

I have a customer who is doing a numbers matching restoration so we need to save this engine block. What I am working with is a worn out .060 340 block. Cyls are worn almost +.010 above the .060 mark. I suggested he find another block and keep the origional in storage. If he sells the car just give the new owner the orig block and let them decide if the want to try to save it. That idea was not a good one to him.
He wants me to sleeve all 8 cylinders back to std bore. Which I am nervous about doing, putting in a sleeve or 2 doesn't bother me but 8 of them :shock: . I was going to use 8 thin wall sleeves (3/32) if i do venture into this. Any words of wisdom
Sorry if I ask alot of questions, but you never stop learning if you ask questions
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Just make sure your customer understands the risks and accepts responsibility.

I don't blame you for being nervous after reviewing 340 sonic test sheets. There is a good chance you will hit water boring for the 3/32 sleeve but I'd still use the 4.040 sleeve over the 4.000.
flyin ryan
Pro
Pro

Post by flyin ryan »

i have a customer who bought an original HEMI block from Al Lee a couple months ago (NOV.) he brings this thing over with the machining done but the oil pick-up boss was half gone ( damaged ) anyway's i managed to fix that. now the good part, the block has eight sleeves! i said what's up with that? he said Al told him that they did that to increase the block strength :roll: now Al is a well respected Super Stock racer who if he dosen't currently own the record in SS/AA, he did very recently. the block was going into a cruiser that wasn't going to see much use, you know sit there & look pretty type of thing. i told my customer it would increase the strength if four of the original bores had holes in them :shock: make sure your customer knows your doing what he want's not what you want, do the work the best you can & tell your customer you won't be held responsible. hopefully for a putt-putt car it will be o.k.
Team Owner

Post by Team Owner »

JBrady
Pro
Pro
Post by JBrady »

Fairly common on big cube (420+cid) LS1, LS2, LS6 engines to use 8 Darton sleeves in the aluminum blocks. They offer both a wet or dry sleeve depending on application. http://www.dartonsleeves.com/main_fr.htm
tk
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: mutli sleeving a v8 block?

Post by tk »

crazycuda wrote:I have a customer who is doing a numbers matching restoration so we need to save this engine block. What I am working with is a worn out .060 340 block. Cyls are worn almost +.010 above the .060 mark. I suggested he find another block and keep the origional in storage. If he sells the car just give the new owner the orig block and let them decide if the want to try to save it. That idea was not a good one to him.
He wants me to sleeve all 8 cylinders back to std bore. Which I am nervous about doing, putting in a sleeve or 2 doesn't bother me but 8 of them :shock: . I was going to use 8 thin wall sleeves (3/32) if i do venture into this. Any words of wisdom
When I worked for Ray Barton , we sleeved all the Hemi blocks.
The main thing is not to use too much press fit .002 max.
We installed them with Loctite 620.
Make sure to line hone it after too.
Tom K.
www.tkrace.com
tkracehead@hotmail.com

I love motorsports because all other sports require only 1 ball!

Cheap...Powerful....Reliable...Choose only 2 of the 3
Donny Key

Post by Donny Key »

Has any body tried the K-line system that goes in with an anaerobic sealer. I’ve heard good things about their system. We had a 350 Bow -Tie block in our shop a while back that had all 8 sleeves installed in it using this system. They appear to be a lot thinner than a regular sleeve. The ads say that it takes much more force to move the sleeve than a pressed in one. We have a worn out Bow-Tie 400 that I was thinking about trying this out on. They call it, Fusion Retainer System. I talked to a friend that also runs a machine shop and he said that he has been using this system for several years now and hasn’t had a problem yet. Since you bore the cylinders with a .002-.003 clearances and the sleeves just slide in the walls don’t distort like a press in fit. Like I said I haven’t tried this system yet myself but plan to in the next few weeks.
If any body else has tried this let us know what you think… Good or bad?. :?:

Thanks
Donny

Thanks
Donny
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I have used the fusion system on 400 sbc with good results, the only problem i have ever had with it was on a block that I hit water on, could not get it to seal. So I have gone back mostly to press fit.
As far as the question on sleeving all 8 holes have done this on some restoration work with very good results. :D
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I would be nervous with my equipment doing eight sleeves, but i will tell you about this.

A friend bought a 454inch bbc forged short block from PAW some years ago. Bolted in his cam and heads and raced the heck out of it, plenty of nitrous and beat on it reguarly. After several seasons of beating, the ring lands finally gave out. when we took it apart realized all eight cylinders had sleeves.

I would think with the right equipment it is possible and reliable
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Old School
Pro
Pro
Post by Old School »

Does he have to have a std. bore block? Can you persuade him to have a custom set of pistons made to fit the existing bores?
ROGUE GTS
Post by ROGUE GTS »

Old School wrote:Does he have to have a std. bore block? Can you persuade him to have a custom set of pistons made to fit the existing bores?
I think the problem lies in that it's already 60 over and needs more. 340 blocks aren't that thick to begin with as they start at 4.040 Going 70 over that is really pushing a stock block.
jdeleon
Pro
Pro

sleeves

Post by jdeleon »

I reluctantly did a eight sleeve race 360 mopar about ten-twelve years back.
We actually picked up power! and no problems either.
This was a basicly stock component class, OEM cast pistons, rods and crank, flat tappet cam, 650dp holley. Were @ 520hp @6900rpm.
javier
crazycuda
Expert
Expert

Post by crazycuda »

thanks for everyones input.
Old School the block is a badly worn .060 already.
My game plan is doing the 8 sleeve routine, the customer was told it is his baby if it doesn't work, he is ok with that.
I figure if I do cyl 1&5 and 4 &8 press in the sleeves then do the other cyls Im hopeful that I wont throw the mains so far out a quick line hone wont true them up.
Sorry if I ask alot of questions, but you never stop learning if you ask questions
BRENT FAY

Post by BRENT FAY »

I've done 8 sleeves on several Cleveland blocks using 1/8 wall sleeves on high comp. race motors,helped with cyls. walls cracking. I would sleeve every other hole per bank and install sleeves with .002 press, then do the other ones. It's a lot of friggen work and metal removal. You got to be careful on what you use to lube/seal when driving sleeves in so you don't insulate heat transfer also! Brent........ BTW the customer said this was how Glidden did his blocks cause the Assie blocks were hard to come by at the time and if was good for him it was good him also .....Gliddens record speaks for its self!
Last edited by BRENT FAY on Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beth
Expert
Expert

Post by beth »

Several years ago I saw the C/ED record set with an 8 sleeved block.