Yukon Gear & Axle???

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

BLACK BART
Pro
Pro

Yukon Gear & Axle???

Post by BLACK BART » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:31 am

Anyone here tried their stuff? If so, what was the quality like?

I would also like to know where it's made. The prices almost seem too good to be true for an American made product. I can't find an origin of manufacture anywhere on their web site. This leads me to suspect it may be imported junk.

Here's their web site.
http://www.yukongear.com/Default.aspx

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, CJ
Arguing with someone on the Internet is like participating in the Special Olympics...Even if you win you are still retarded!

BLACK BART
Pro
Pro

Post by BLACK BART » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:18 am

Any information on Yukon stuff at all??? CJ
Arguing with someone on the Internet is like participating in the Special Olympics...Even if you win you are still retarded!

af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:53 am

GURU is only a name.
Adam

BLACK BART
Pro
Pro

Post by BLACK BART » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Adam, I'll call them and see what they can tell me.

Do you deal with them or know someone there?

Thanks, CJ

99R/T

Post by 99R/T » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:48 pm

I've installed ~ 15-20 of their gears in daily drivers, mud trucks, and mild drag cars over the last 4 years, they're QC is pretty good. Quieter than most Richmond or Motive gears I've noticed, and they stand up to some pretty heavy abuse.

I'm running one of their "Value Gear/ USA Standard" gears in my truck right now. I've beaten on it pretty badly. Burnouts and doughnuts, sustained 130-140MPH for 1.5 hours in a 4,200# brick, a steady 65MPH cruise with a 950# load in the bed for 280 miles, dragstrip runs w/slicks, etc.

The Value Gear has had a faint whine (40-60MPH, louder on coast down) since install, but nothing the A/C and radio can't drown out. The Yukon gears are dead silent when you set them up right.

As far as where its made, you're not going to find a "cheap" US forged/machined gear. They're all (Yukon, Motive, etc.) forged overseas and finish machined in the US.
Last edited by 99R/T on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:26 pm

CJ, Jeff is good people. Many of us use them up here for pretty much all differential parts.
GURU is only a name.
Adam

blwilliams

Post by blwilliams » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:03 am

I have installed a ton of the Yukon gears. both 8620 and some of their Pro sets as well.
Like mentioned already the Yukon gear is very quite and quite tough. I have ran there 4.11 Pro Gear in my S/P Dragster with great success.
Best et of 7.40 @ 180
The Yukon replacement axles for street cars & trucks are a great deal as well.
Most of there stuff is priced very competitive.
Their line of street posi's are very good.
You will probably find the best deals on the Internet.
As far as country of origin goes I believe Korea and India would be a safe bet.

BLACK BART
Pro
Pro

Post by BLACK BART » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:03 am

Thank you guys for the replies.

I know most stuff today is forged or cast outside the United States and you can't get something for nothing. I'm looking for a quality product and just don't want to buy junk. If this is a foreign product then I may consider it in the future if on a tight budget. Otherwise, I will buy a domestic product for a little more money that I know is good. Brands I've used in the past and had good luck with are:

TracTech for differentials
Richmond for gears
Strange for gears and case
Visteon for gears
Moser for axles, case, pinion support, and yoke

Adam, I'll call Jeff and talk to him. It's good to know you and others you know deal with him and trust him well enough to make a recommendation like that. Thanks, CJ

Money-pit

Post by Money-pit » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Just because it says Yukon on the box doesn't mean they are theirs. It's common practice for the mfgr's to swap/buy gears off of each other when they are running low on stock. Found that out a few years back when I got a set from Randy's & they were (I think) Richmonds in their box.

tjz450

Re: Yukon Gear & Axle???

Post by tjz450 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:11 pm

I'm very aware this is an old post. I learn a lot from ST post old or new. Original poster wondered about Yukon Gear, and so did I, they came out of nowhere in about 1999. I wanted to know where their factories are or who makes their parts. No such luck.
So here's their family tree I put together in a few minutes: Randal Lyman = Randy's Ring and Pinion = Ring & Pinion Service (Randys Worldwide Automotive), Everett, WA, begot Yukon Gear and Axle (1999), also begot U.S. Standard Gear = sold to RWA Holdings(date?) = sold to LinCap (Ohio-based PRIVATE EQUITY firm.
LinCap also owns Transtar Industries, Lund International. As a private equity firm LinCap listed 20 employees at one point.
Seeing as how PE firms operate, I doubt they have any automotive gear and axle plants in the U.S. Due to their Washington state location, i assume it is all made in Asia, or should I say copied in asia.
I'm interested others comments. I've always liked to know, who I am doing business with and who owns who.