Is need for sbf vic jr specific rockers (harland sharp)???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jasonn

Is need for sbf vic jr specific rockers (harland sharp)???

Post by jasonn »

I have always seen that harland sharp has a line of rockers specifically for the vic jr heads. What is the real difference? I see no one else specifies a different rocker. Is there that much difference if I ran their regular rocker with the vic jr head??

Oh, and another quick one. I bought rockers WAY back when I didn't know a whole lot about much(not much better now probably lol) I ordered rockers for a windsor and when I got them, they said they were for a sbc!! Well I thought they had sent me the wrong ones, but when I looked up part#'s in jegs and summit they all listed the same rocker arm part# for the small block fords and chevys! These were the original crane energizer aluminum ones by the way. Now a days they have a separate part#. They have always worked fine for my mild 351 with stock heads, but I am stepping up the cam and heads a bit and would it hurt to run these?
1970 mach with mild 351w
11.40's@117
1970 prostreet fastback with pump gas 427
8.58@157 2nd place pro street p/a 2021 drag week
v8_super
Post by v8_super »

Its completely diferent in apearence from regular one
same rocker for afr and eddy heads.... diferent part number but same part.
jasonn

Post by jasonn »

so they are different in looks. Functionally what is different? Is the stud to valve spacing different on the jr's? Just curious. Also what is the diff between the sbc and sbf rockers? Like I said, they USED to have the same part#?
1970 mach with mild 351w
11.40's@117
1970 prostreet fastback with pump gas 427
8.58@157 2nd place pro street p/a 2021 drag week
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I have used Chevy rockers on Fords for 20 years=- If the contact and the geometry is correct, NOONE will ever know. I did it to change the rocker ratio, but it does not matter anyway--- It can be done, just pay attention

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
rustang
Post by rustang »

When I put my 347 together Harland sent me samples of their standard windsor rocker and their. Vicjr ones to try on my dart heads. I don't remember the specifics, but the vic rockers had a lot better geometry for the dart head. They also were stouter looking.

Also, back in 1989 when I put my old windsor together, I ordered the cam dynamics(crane) rockers and the part number was the same as the chevies...but were $15 more! I ordered the chevies and they're still on that motor.
v8_super
Post by v8_super »

I believe it's not sense iff the only diferece is the aprearence... and the price...

It fits afr perfectly...
66-408-stang

Harland Sharp

Post by 66-408-stang »

Their 1.7 ratio rockers for sbf do differ in dimensions, assume that the 1.6 follow suit. The 1.7 for regular sbf (S4003-77) measure 1.503 form tip center to stud center, 0.835 from stud center to pushrod seat center. The aftermarket versions, which include the victor jr and afr (part numbers S4103 and S4603) measure 1.439 and 0.813.
ShaunK

Post by ShaunK »

I went thru this on a couple engines. The victor jr specific ones are a better fit on the victor jr heads. It seems like the regular rockers are not quite long enough to get a decent rocker arm geometry going. With the slightly longer vic jr specific ones on I was able to very easily get the valve train where I wanted it.