Radiator

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

70MC
Pro
Pro

Radiator

Post by 70MC »

I am replacing the radiator in my 2wd, 91 Chevy pickup.
I can get a 2 row 17x34 radiator with plastic tanks and aluminum core, or a 4 row 17x34 brass/copper radiator. My question is which will cool better?
I know that a high performance Becool 2 row radiator will cool better than a factory brass/copper 4 core, but i don't know if the replacement aluminum 2 row with plastic tanks will cool better than a 4 row brass/copper.
A bad day of racing is better than a good day of work
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Address your complete cooling system for best results. What is your engine setup and what is vehicle used for? Airflow through the radiator within operating parameters must be considered. Core design affects cooling and some four core radiators may not improve cooling in your application. Fan selection is critical to efficient cooling. Do you run an automatic transmission and does it have a separate cooler? Modifying the running height and attitude of vehicle can affect cooling. Running no thermostat or a low temperature opening thermostat can negatively affect cooling by not allowing time for heat to be removed from coolant and may degrade engine performance. Please provide as much information as possible when posting!
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

My whole cooling system has been addresed, i am down to the radiator.
You can read the specs here .viewtopic.php?t=2906
Both choices i have for a radiator has an engine oil cooler and a tranny cooler that i will complement with an auxillary cooler.
Cobra could you explain some applacations where a brass/copper radiator will work better than an aluminum/plastic radiator and vise versa?
That would help me in this case and also in any future projects i may have a cooling concern with. Thanks Jim.
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

OEM's use aluminum and plastic for cost savings, weight savings, manufacturing efficiency, and longevitity. Some thick, four row radiators, feature small fin openings which can restrict air flow. Try this test with your vehicles- setup a large fan blowing into front of radiators- feel amounts and speeds of air on engine side. Performing this test with various fan speeds can produce some interesting results. A small electric fan can really help a transmission cooler. Your pickup truck will benefit from a reduction in frontal area and a splitter. Keep on truckin'!
beth
Expert
Expert

Post by beth »

A quality high fin count per inch 4 row copper/brass will cool the best. You want the air to slow as it goes thru the core to absorb the heat. The fins are what the air cools and the number per inch is directly related to efficiency. Look to see what heavy load capacity vehicles have, compare a 91 1/2, 3/4 and one ton to see what they come with from the factory. Look at 2 and 1/2 tons.
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

In the older cars that never came with plastic/brass radiators you could buy highefficiency radiators, the rows of cooling tubes were closer together than standard. I was able to buy a 3 row highefficiency radiator for an 85 Grand Prix i used to own, insted of a standard 3 row radiator.

There must be something to the way the plastic/aluminum radiators cool, as the one i removed from the truck for the 350 motor only had 1 core which was 1 inch wide, 17x28 and it ran cool.
The larger plastic/aluminum for a 454 has 2 cores, that are 1 inch wide each, 17x34. I just found out a few days ago that it has 2 rows, i thought it was just 6 inches longer. The brass/copper has 4 rows for the same application.
Plus the good performance aluminum radiators like Becool are 2 rows that are 1 inch wide each. They claim that there is more surface area with the larger 1 inch rows. Thanks for the answers, Jim.
STK 758

Post by STK 758 »

It is likely the coolant is traveling too fast to cool efficiently . Try restricting the lower line before the pump . Whatever your outlet size is reduce by 1/4 " to start with .

Barry