cheapest custom pistons

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

bp944

cheapest custom pistons

Post by bp944 »

Where can I find a good price on a set of custom pistons. I just found out that the cheapest crank and rods end up with a funny piston size. A .748 wrist piston, +1cc flat top, and a 3.907 bore but the price just kills me. Any ideas would be wonderful. I'd also need that funny wrist pin size (.748x2.250) and the only thing close is motorcycle pins but those can't take 500-600hp.
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Re: cheapest custom pistons

Post by crazyman »

ones you make yourself. like bruce crower made a blower pulley from melted pistons.
bp944

Post by bp944 »

Well my blowtorch should be hot enough to melt any form of tin. I can copy a set of pistons with a wax mold and I should be set.
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

There's alot to it. The aluminum shrinks about 1/4" per foot when cooled. You'd have to have them machined too.

Here's a link to someone else's successful aluminum projects.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=464599

Unless you're willing to tackle it, for a one off set it'd make more sense to have a company like wiseco, ross, je, or arias make you a set....
CHT

Post by CHT »

bp944 wrote:Where can I find a good price on a set of custom pistons. I just found out that the cheapest crank and rods end up with a funny piston size. A .748 wrist piston, +1cc flat top, and a 3.907 bore but the price just kills me. Any ideas would be wonderful. I'd also need that funny wrist pin size (.748x2.250) and the only thing close is motorcycle pins but those can't take 500-600hp.
What sort of engine is it?
There are Jap motors with that sized pin, Or hone it to a larger size. Does the 'weird size' pistons mean you cant get a ring to suit that bore? That'd be my first concern, since its only .002" above the 1st size for an LS1 @ 3.905" you may be ok there.

Most of the piston manufacturers will make cutom order pins but that'd also cost.
Why can't you change your combination to be able to use a regular sized pin and piston.
It's the old storey if you want to play you have to pay. Maybe you need to sit and think about what it is your doing and re-evaluate the whole thing. Don't get the "oh I've got this and this" syndrome. It may be cheaper and easier to change in the long run.
CHT

Post by CHT »

Some jap motors with .748" pins
Daihatsu HCE/HDE,
Honda DA15B/DA16A6/D16Z6,
Mazda FS 16v 1991cc, Mitsubishi 4g32B/4g33(belt drive)4g37,
Nissan A15/E15,E15T/E16,
Suzuki G16A/G16B
bp944

Post by bp944 »

I'm not looking to actually make my own pistons. I'm looking for a cheap way to get a set. Weiseco priced them at $1100 for a set and well...that's more than I've spent on the whole engine so far. It'll be for a LS block but I haven't purchased it yet. It'll probably be 3.905 but I might get a hold of a resleeved block so it might be something 4.100+. I'll have to look inot those Asian Import pistons. I do have the wrist pins for them so I just need to get the pistons. I won't exceed 9,000rpm or 600hp so I don't need anything too intense.