Go kart racing tips

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

GOKARTRACER30
Go kart racing tips

Post by GOKARTRACER30 »

well i'm 18 and getting ready to start dirt oval go kart racing and i just got my motor its called a radical motor and if anybody has any tips for me please let me no even basic tips and stuff like that i need any tips i can get.... thanks....
brucepts

Re: Go kart racing tips

Post by brucepts »

Go here: http://www.4cycle.com/

They will be able to help you out, they know karting.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton

[url]http://www.flowbenchtech.com/[/url]
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

Bubstr

Post by Bubstr »

You will find there are a couple tips in dirt speedway that come in real handy. First and foremost is, (corner speed is king). This means if you go around the corner faster, you can be short on power and still win. You can have lots of power and not win because you didn't keep corner speed up. The biggest thing out side of driving style to get around the corner is balance of the cart, Center of gravity position). Too much weight on front, you will push, too much on rear you will be loose in the rear. Too low you will skate, called no grip. Too high you will bicycle, This is too much side bite. These are the Basics to handling. You can stiffen chassis or soften by seat mounting. Rubbers and how many struts can really change chassis. Even type of seat. You will find more along the way.
As far as engine and gearing, you set clutch and gear to keep in the power range of the engine, on the track your running. If your RPMs are too low you loose power and if they are too high you can get a loose condition out of corners. Your real speed is made exiting corners, (how soon you can get into the power). Lastly, Smooth goes fast. Don't jerk the wheel.

As the night goes on, you will find your not racing on the same track as early. You will need less tread and harder compounds at times later for tires. You may find you need a taller gear also. You won't need to change clutch because that is set to engine RPM. The preferred line usually is higher in the corners, often creating a cushion. If you choose to run the cushion, remember, getting in on the cushion is the critical part. You need to place right rear with in 6 inches of cushion and its a free ride around the corner. If your low getting in, you will jump cushion. High, you will correct to low then jump the cushion. Most banked tracks start with low grove and move up threw the night. some times cushion goes to the wall. Take it as far as your comfortable. then you go to low side and look for moisture, if none skate the middle. A good guideline if you run cushion is if you lift throttle for just a blip, your kart will drop a car width to 1 1/2 lower in the grove if set up well. It does this because you add traction to front by doing this and is a sign of neutral chassis. Also a good way to get under someone with out jerking the wheel.

Hope this helps your learning curve. Remember some of them kids have 10 years experience on you.
Older I get the less I know for sure