Crankcase Vacuum

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

learner

Crankcase Vacuum

Post by learner »

Hi Don, when your pulling 7" of vacuum in the pan, do you use special or different than normal front and rear seals and how do you install them, as far as backwards or not?

Thanks
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Engine Crankcase Vacuum

Post by speedtalk »

Hey learner, Welcome back. It's a lot easier with special seals, but if you use a 5 stage pump and lots of silicone to seal the engine, you can still get the vacuum. Use specials seals and a good job of sealing the engine you'll end up over 20" - not needed and maybe even a negative. Thanks, Don
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
learner

Post by learner »

Thanks Don, I've been lurking around and posted a couple times without logging in. I was concerned with having problems if double lip seals aren't used or if they aren't installed in the proper direction, depending on seal design. As far as too much vacuum being negative, i agree. Too much will starve the pins if they aren't pressure fed. Do you connect the adjoining cylinders at the bottom via holes also?
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
pin oiling

Post by speedtalk »

learner wrote:Do you connect the adjoining cylinders at the bottom via holes also?
No, what is your experience?
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
learner

Post by learner »

No i haven't tried it. I don't know how feasible it would be on some of the compact V8's but it seems that any size hole would be of some benefit assuming it doesn't weaken the web. One of these days i will try it along with the lifter deal. I only have so much money and i have to delegate it accordingly.
By the way, i have problems posting alot of the time. I will post, then click submit and it will come back as "invalid session".

Thanks Don appreciate your time
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

learner wrote:By the way, i have problems posting alot of the time. I will post, then click submit and it will come back as "invalid session".
Thanks for the feedback. I need to upgrade the board, but I've been waiting for a bigger release. Does it only happen when you take a longer amount of time to type your message?
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
learner

Post by learner »

I haven't noticed any particulars on when or how.