propylene oxide

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

hotrodhp
propylene oxide

Post by hotrodhp »

ive been trying to find somone who sells this stuff, so far no luck, every place ive called is soldout or out of business. Anyone have any clues to who is selling it???
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Re: propylene oxide

Post by ZIGGY »

Haven't seen a branded can in a long time. You do know it's supposedly very, very toxic stuff?
hotrodhp

Post by hotrodhp »

oh yessss. very bad!
quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

Try your VP distributer
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]
hotrodhp

Post by hotrodhp »

talked to vp earlier today, they were telling me good luck finding someone who sells it- they do not.
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

hotrodhp wrote:talked to vp earlier today, they were telling me good luck finding someone who sells it- they do not.
There is a reason for that!

Make sure you think this through before you go any further....

You can purchase it through an industrial chemical house. Specifically one that sells DOW branded chemicals. Depending on the state you are in...you might have a paper trail to deal with.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/PR/propylene_oxide.html

I suspect your purchase will attract a similar amount of attention as if you purchased pallet loads of fertilizer, diesel fuel and an appropriate wetting agent and rented a truck to pick it all up at the same time.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

It's been 15 yrs or so since I last played with it. I can't remember the exact price but it seems like it was ~$20 liter. It seems like it was mainly used in high volume fruit drying and I went through hoops to get it. It came in a shipping container that had special "pellets" surrounding the glass bottle to absorb the liquid if the bottle broke during shipping. Obviously also has to be stored in the freezer.

I did quite a few tests on the dyno and although it made great hp increases on the 2bl 360 class circle track engine I was testing, it would have been too hard to control the tuneup in the car, mainly because you can't maintain temperature control of the fuel. It might have been feasible with MFI if you could fill the bladder right before going on the track and if the driver understood how to use a couple "dial a jet" devices on a couple areas of the mechanical injection system(sounds like a lot of crap for the driver to deal with though :wink: ).

All in all, great for the dyno, not so much for the track is what I saw in my small amount of testing.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
JCPE

Post by JCPE »

hotrodhp wrote:ive been trying to find somone who sells this stuff, so far no luck, every place ive called is soldout or out of business. Anyone have any clues to who is selling it???
http://www.worldwideracingfuels.com/Pro ... tid=790056
Big Speed
Pro
Pro

Post by Big Speed »

Klotz had it years ago.Bill C.
Ceralli Competition Engines & Checkered Flag Machine
Racing engines , CNC head porting and induction development
http://www.checkeredflagmachine.net/
WDCreech

Post by WDCreech »

Both the NHRA and IHRA have this printed in their rule books: PROPYLENE OXIDE: The use of propylene oxide is prohibited in all categories.
Bill

1964 tube chassis GTO, 2750#, 606 cu. in. Indian Adventures tall deck w/Super Chiefs
best 1/4 et. so far; 8.2550 @ 164.17 all motor
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

It's dangerous stuff, don't mess with it. No reason or need.

WDCreech, tell John and Jay Mark said hi! I need to call them..............haven't talked to them in a while.............
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

If it is not clear from the posts already this is really, really, really not a wise item to buy just like not collecting all the ingredients for ANFO explosives with a Ryder rental truck. The last ten years especially have changed the world in many ways. I would guess you are going to be put on some manner of terrorist watch list and -- if you're really lucky -- a no-fly list. I have read it is difficult, if not impossible, to remove yourself from these sorts of lists. These types of potential explosives are why people are restricted from carrying liquids onto planes. You absolutely know that there are loonies out there willing to blow themselves up in the process.

I hope this is a blunt enough warning. [-X [-o< #-o
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!