SBC - Brodix/HVH Intake Manifolds

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Jason G
Pro
Pro

SBC - Brodix/HVH Intake Manifolds

Post by Jason G »

Has anyone done any back to back track or dyno testing with the Brodix/HVH manifolds vs. other cast intakes on small block Chevies?

Specifically interested in the 4500 carb HVH models.

What port modifications have been used successfully? Any pictures? What flow or HP difference have you seen in modifications?

Thanks,

Jason
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

Jason,

I have no power or flow numbers to compare back to back, but ido have the most important..........Track tests!

Ayear ago i build a 434 SB chevy and first assembled it with a Brodix HVH (4150 plenum) using a 4150HP by prosystems. It made 618HP and 580TQ. Anyway we brought it to the track and the car ( a 69 Vette) off the trailer ran a 10.82 @ 128mph. Do to limited dyno cell time we couldn't compare mainifolds, but we had all day at the track so we decided to change to a super victor. (which i wanted on there to begin with). a couple hours later (very similer track conditions) the sup victor ran a 10.80 @ 129. The HVH had mild porting done and the edelbrock was right out of the box.

Now granted your wanting a 4500 plenum, which will make my test numbers not very usefull to you. Just hope it helps.

Mike Theroux
Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.net

There is never enough time!!
PWMAX
Pro
Pro

Post by PWMAX »

I did a 406 recently, he had some older T-1 heads, that had been mildy ported, and an un-touched HVH 4150 intake that I used. Re-ported the heads, and did some minor plenumn work, 13:1, a Sherbert roller cam, thats what he wanted to use, he liked the price, he said to pick the one I thought would work best. Anyhow, the motor made 655hp at 7100, and 565ftlbs at 5300. I thought it worked well. Didn;t do any back to backs, but I was happy with the results

Frank
Dan Barton
Pro
Pro

Post by Dan Barton »

Jason, I know this is not an exact answer to your question but I port about 30 cast manifolds a year and have used a few of the brodix manifolds over the years, but in my humble opinion, the super victor will eat the hvh manifold up everytime! In my somewhat educated opinion I believe that it should be at least 10 horsepower better! Admittedley I dont have any hard data to back this statement up but just my gut feeling and 20 years experience thinking out loud!
Jason G
Pro
Pro

Post by Jason G »

Thanks for the input guys!

It sounds like everyone has had about the same experience. A friend of mine that posts on this board on occasion just dynoed an 18 deg. - 427 SBC. A Bowtie 4150 style intake with 2" dominator adapter/spacer was used vs. the Brodix/HVH 4500 top manifold. Both were ported.

The Brodix was down ~20 HP/ ~20 lb-ft. I don't believe additional spacers were tried on top of the Brodix/HVH intake.

I currently run a Brodix/HVH 1809 intake on top of my tall deck 445 SBC. My delima, is that I run Brodix 18X (POS) heads that use a 10 deg. intake face in combination with the tall deck block I know there are folks that make 23 deg. spacers and CFE and Dart make 18 deg. spacers, but I'm pretty sure they are based on a 5 deg. intake face angle. If I come up with some spacer that will work, a 23 deg. raised runner Super Victor with 4500 top may do the trick. If not, I guess it is time to get to work with some epoxy and get this intake to work.

What are the biggest issues with the HVH intake? Comparing to the Bowtie and Super Victor the runner dividers are WAY narrower. Provided the runner lengths are correctly tuned for the combinations is this the place to look for power? What other modifications are suggested?

Next season I plan to either fix the CSA/velocity issues with the 18X heads via welding/epoxy or go to another head altogether.

Thanks,

Jason
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

I will give you just a seat of the pants opinion about the HV 1000 with no data or results yet to back it up because that engine is not yet finished.

To me it looks like the runners are too long and the plenum is too large and the plenum is too deep. When this one is finished using that manifold, I am planning on tryng it first with a 4 hole short very short spacer to try to help the signal the boosters will be seeing. I also got one of their Turtles to stick in it. Who knows if that helps or not. Looks to me that it is just mostly raising the plenum floor a little after adding the Turtle.
Ed
roller
Post by roller »

jason why don't you contact larry meaux?
Darin Morgan
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Darin Morgan »

The Edelbrock Victor manifold has consistently proven itself to be at least 10-15 better than the HVH and even more up to or past peak power. We only use the funnel ram concept on our small blocks and that has proven to be better than the 4500 flange alone with a dominator. Putting the 4500 adapter on the 4150 flange intake improves power across the board. Carb signal will increase considerably! If you have the hood clearance, do it!
Darin Morgan
-Induction Research and Development
-EFI Calibration and Tuning
Reher Morrison Racing Engines
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
Phone 817-467-7171
Cell 682-559-0321
http://www.rehermorrison.com
roller
Post by roller »

does the edelbrock victor fit the 18x heads?
roller
Post by roller »

also how tall is the 4150 to 4500 spacer?
Jason G
Pro
Pro

Post by Jason G »

Darin,

Thanks once again for the input. Your experience seems to confirm what was seen on the dyno recently on John's 427 SBC (4.125 x 4.00). At what level (cu in or HP output or other)does the Dominator flange intake overcome the funnel ram concept on an SBC, or does it? As the cubes go up, there is likely a point where the additional plenum volume is needed. Then again, I have not compared the plenum volume of the 2" spacer+ 4150 intake to see how they match up. I'm dealing with a 4.145 bore x 4.125 stroke - all TQ an no HP engine at this point. Only picks up about 60 HP from peak TQ to peak HP. VE drops from 116+ to 109.

Unfortunately, with the tall deck block my 4" cowl hood already doesn't fit. I've got some other issues to work out as well regarding the intake/heads too though - obviously.

roller,

I was going to have Larry velocity profile the heads and move the pushrod pinch out as needed as well as work on the intake, but he was backed up to the point he was not taking anything new until he could dig out (several months back now). After waiting a couple of years to get the engine together (various personal reasons) I was ready to get the show on the road and get some racing in this season. Once I get the car to hook and try out my Jay Allen cam, which looks more and more like it may be worth some considerable power on my combo. I plan to let Larry work his magic and put it back on the dyno.

The Super Victor won't fit the 18X heads. Basically nothing off the shelf will as it is an 18 degree high port head with a 10 degree intake face. standard 18 deg. heads use a 5 deg. intake face (see these 18X heads biting me again!) To compound matters, I run a 9.325" deck block so either a tall deck manifold or spacers are required.

The HVH was the easy way out as it fits the 10 deg. intake face and the 1809 is configured for the 9.3" block.

Jason
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

Jason,

I'd really look at a 2926 or 2950 and making a angled adaptor spacer for them. That would correct both things.

Bret
[img]http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs139.snc1/5928_111214857139_110806152139_2127222_6826389_n.jpg[/img]
[i]Those of you who think you know it all are particularly annoying to those of us who do[/i]- Penske garage sign @ Indy circa '71