Shops With Propane Infrared Heaters

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

colormebad

Shops With Propane Infrared Heaters

Post by colormebad » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Anyone else have trouble with these heaters drawing oil/trans fluid/gas fumes from race car to their heaters? I was told these heaters draw anything around to the heater ' then burns it...I had my heater turned up on 3 bricks yesterday & everytime i walked in the shop ' it smelled like racing fuel strong..Have no leaks anywhere ' but think its pulling it from the carb and headers...When the heater is not running' u smell nothing at all..Last night after i was replacing a few parts & went back in the house i started getting a headache & raipid hearbeat...Its a 30x30 shop and im gona swap to a different heat i think....

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Re: Shops With Propane Infrared Heaters

Post by Dave Koehler » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Better get a carbon monoxide sensor while you are at it. I think you dodged a bullet.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

colormebad

Post by colormebad » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:19 pm

I have one of them in the house and shop....Onlytime it goes off is when the doors are opened...I turn two fans on and open the doors....Fire it up for about 2 mins and as soon as the detector goes off i leave the building till its clear...Its some how drawing fumes from the carb and headers i guess...Dont smell anything unless the heater is running...Im looking into a different heat...I cracked the front door and didnt smell anything today...

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:15 am

colormebad wrote:Anyone else have trouble with these heaters drawing oil/trans fluid/gas fumes from race car to their heaters? I was told these heaters draw anything around to the heater ' then burns it...I had my heater turned up on 3 bricks yesterday & everytime i walked in the shop ' it smelled like racing fuel strong..Have no leaks anywhere ' but think its pulling it from the carb and headers...When the heater is not running' u smell nothing at all..Last night after i was replacing a few parts & went back in the house i started getting a headache & raipid hearbeat...Its a 30x30 shop and im gona swap to a different heat i think....

I had one of those and could not stand it. Yes, any chemicals used in the shop will go through it and smell bad, I also found I have a low tolerance for any un-vented heaters. Headaches nausea etc... I installed a direct vent propane wall furnace. I picked up the 80,000 BTU empire wall furnace for $200 on craigslist. It takes up very little space at all.

All the combustion is sealed off from the shop so it's very safe. It draws air for combustion from the outside. One coaxial pipe handles intake air and exhaust. The only problem is mice love the standing pilot. When not running the heater much, mice build a nest near the warmth of the pilot. Then you fire up the heater and P. U. , what an awful stench of burning mice and poop. Now I leave a tray of decon near the heater. Yum, Yum, mice just love that decon.

colormebad

Post by colormebad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:23 am

you have a pic or part # on the heater like your using?? Thanks

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:20 pm

colormebad wrote:you have a pic or part # on the heater like your using?? Thanks
It's this heater and it's 55,000 BTU (not 80 as I wrote by mistake)

http://vmisales.com/direct_vent_furnace/dv-55-ip.html

Direct vent heaters are avail in different configurations and sizes from Empire and other manufacturers.

Matt Gruber
Guru
Guru

Post by Matt Gruber » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:46 am

guys,
be sure to run the numbers where u live.
here in FLa, propane heat costs about the same as electric. same cost for same btu's.
Electric can heat a spot easily, like just where u r working, so it can be much less. An electric floor mat would be nice!
The best free heat turned out to be my fiberglass garage doors!(i got them 'cause they can't rust)
Garage faces south. Once the AM sun hits them, it warms up FAST. And it is as bright as a dozen 100w bulbs. The light is diffused thru the fglass, so it won't fade the cars' paint. Just don't ever paint them. Neighbor did that, now his is cold, clammy, and dark.
And in the summer, the sun is high, so no hot sun hits the doors.
My house is well insulated. NONE in the garage. With the heat off overnite, it is much warmer by 10am in the garage! Solar heat is very powerful! Just don't work late in the garage, as once the sun goes down it cools off faster than the house, by midnight.
tame a lumpy cam for the street, more street torque! see my article, archived in the waybackmachine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130707064 ... TGRU/carb/
Great manners equals more fun.

machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:13 pm

Having issues with heaters concerning carbon monoxide or other noxious gases can be scary. Several years ago we had a problem with our water heater. The vent pipe was rotted a few inches from the heater itself, causing vent fumes to go directly into our basement. It happened so gradually that the fume smell took a while to become evident. But the CO wasn't detectable until my headaches made me look hard for and finally find the source. Another time I had varnished a bookcase in my basement shop. The vapors from the varnish got sucked up into a natural gas space heater (in another room) and smelled exactly like propane. Took awhile to realize where the odor originated, quit varnishing in the basement and the smell went away.

tom
Pray for a secular future.

MSNBC's catch phrase is "Lean Forward". Shouldn't it be "Bend Over"?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:02 pm

I had a Mr Heater at the old shop- never really did the trick. I have a cheap Goodman 50K BTU mounted in the shop that has the flexible ducting routed in the attic and to ceiling vents. My shop is 28 x 50 deep. Its split in half and the vents in the front half are shut as it stays warm enough for the vehicles in the winter- about 50-55. The rear I keep between 65-68 and I think it works pretty well and doesnt seem to cost too much.

Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills

Cogburn
Expert
Expert

Post by Cogburn » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:03 pm

I have wondered what happens when the chlorinated cleaners(the ones with the warning that "may make phosgene gas when exposed to temperatures above 600°") get in contact with the infrared heater??