AN Fittings Size

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

11secAvanti
Pro
Pro

AN Fittings Size

Post by 11secAvanti »

What is the proper size ID suspose to be on AN 6 fittings?

I bought some AN 6 45 female ends to day (several) and the tubing up inside is smaller diameter than some AN 6 fittings I had on my fuel lines. 7/32 drill bit size in the hole. Why are some smaller than others and what brands are the correct ID for the tubing? I would think this could be a choke for carb inlets. Plan to use them on my trans cooler but disappointed in the flow orfice.
CoMaxRacing
Re: AN Fittings Size

Post by CoMaxRacing »

Its basically all over 16 so a -6 is 6/16 or .375 or 3/8" I use Earls stuff, Aeroquip or Goodridge, I've never seen anything that was a problem. The line is sometimes a little snug but it always goes. They even interchange with no problem. 7/32 is .219" Thats a huge difference. That dimension falls between a -3 and -4. Something sounds really wrong to me.

First time I have heard of any issues, what make of fittings and line are we talking?

Corey
CoMaxRacing

Post by CoMaxRacing »

Did a little more research and the closest INSIDE diameter of a -6 should be around .250 or 1/4" . So you are still a little small at .219.
11secAvanti
Pro
Pro

Post by 11secAvanti »

Fine print on the fitting says "Red Horse Performance". The AN-6 female straight fittings of the same make are the correct ID. But not the 45 angle ones.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

TUBING (as opposed to PIPE) is measured by OUTSIDE DIAMETER.

Therefore the inside diameter varies with the wall thickness. There is no "correct" inside diameter, because different applications require different wall thicknesses.