New fuelssytem

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Marcus
New fuelssytem

Post by Marcus »

Going to build a new fuelsystem and upgrade from my Carter 172 gph mech pump that has give me problems from day one. Car is a chevelle 64 with a 600 hp 489BB.

Will sump the oem tank with a CE sump an8 to a summit fuel filter http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-230118 an8 and 1/2" line to the pump plan to mount it where the lower controlarm bolts to the frame on pass side(or is it stupid to mount the pump so far in front of the fueltank) an8 and 1/2" line to the reg that I´m going to mount in front of the carb either on the front inner fender or a bracket that I bolt into the cyl head an8 to the carbs 3/8" feed line. The return line will be an8 and 1/2" and into the tank via the oem pickup that has had 1/2" tube welded in.

Do you think I will have problems or is it better to do something different than I plan? Please give me your opinion.
Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu SS 1964
489 BB 600 hp
Th 400
12 bolt 3.31
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Re: New fuelssytem

Post by Speedbump »

since no one else chimed in.....if you're talking about the lower control arm of the front suspension, don't do it. The pump needs to be as close to the tank as practical/possible. Electric pumps don't pull very well but push great, so you want to push the fuel as much as possible. Line size wise, you're OK but most designs use 1 to 2 sizes bigger hose/tubing on the suction side of the pump. A -10 or even -12 from sump to pump would be better. But, that means you need to get a fuel filter that has a bigger inlet to take advantage of the larger suction hose. -8 from pump to regulator is good for your HP. Keep the regulator as close to carbs as possible/practical. You could easily use -6 for the return as most system designs use 1 size smaller tube/hose for the return.
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Speedbump wrote:since no one else chimed in.....if you're talking about the lower control arm of the front suspension, don't do it. The pump needs to be as close to the tank as practical/possible. Electric pumps don't pull very well but push great, so you want to push the fuel as much as possible. Line size wise, you're OK but most designs use 1 to 2 sizes bigger hose/tubing on the suction side of the pump. A -10 or even -12 from sump to pump would be better. But, that means you need to get a fuel filter that has a bigger inlet to take advantage of the larger suction hose. -8 from pump to regulator is good for your HP. Keep the regulator as close to carbs as possible/practical. You could easily use -6 for the return as most system designs use 1 size smaller tube/hose for the return.
Thanks! Will rethink pump location and upgrade to AN10 before the pump do you think same filter but with an10 will work or is there better choices for similar money?

Marcus
489 BB 600 hp
Th 400
12 bolt 3.31
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

I personally prefer the Fram HPG-1 canister style, or the Summit copy. To take advantage of the -10 suction size, you need 3/8 pipe inlet/outlet minimum, or in the case of your inline, -10 in and out. You want to take the -10 size right up to and including the fuel pump inlet side if you can. The down side of the canister style filter is it's another thing you have to mount solid. The up side is it provides a great solid connection for your flexible lines.
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Ok the sump has 1/2 npt fitting so if i upgrade everything to the pump to an10 the pump will have the smallest inlet 3/8 npt.

Checked the filter you suggested I´m little sceptical to fram since their oilfilter are not the best and has been recomended not to use their filter from more than one and seen some strange thing with oilpressure with fram filters that disappeared when they where changed to wix, K&N or Moroso.

Next I wonder is the filter size heard that it was good to use 100 microns before the pump and less after if you had to have two filters?

Likes the inline filter better so think I´m going that route instead, going to mount the filter inside the frame so will use clamps so it will be as solid as a canister style.

Thanks!

Marcus
489 BB 600 hp
Th 400
12 bolt 3.31