Need to cut flutes / access to a shop with a form ginder

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Jerry Poole
Need to cut flutes / access to a shop with a form ginder

Post by Jerry Poole »

I have an input shaft from a small sports car that we want to vintage race. The input shaft has helical cut gears fixed/made with the input shaft and we need to remove these gears so we can convert to straight cut gears with "dog rings". I can have the gears ground/removed with no problem but cutting the flutes/keyways for the straight cut replacement gear is were the problem lies. The shaft of the gear is hardened/heat treated and the machinists I have talked to tell me that the only machine that will cut the flutes will have to be a form grinder. Could anyone direct me to a shop that could do this work? The input shaft is small and can be boxed and shipped with no problem and I have the straight cut gear that must be fitted to the shaft. There will need to be 6 flutes cut @ 60 degrees from each other. The finished OD of the shaft will need to be 1 Inch. Appreciate any information and input. Jerry
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Need to cut flutes / access to a shop with a form ginder

Post by Baprace »

Years ago Doug Nash transmissions cut and welded up some GM clusters for me that worked great in a 9 second Camaro, I don't have a number for him but any drag racing magazine should have his number.
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »

Have you tried Liberty?
uncle paul

Post by uncle paul »

Call and talk to Bob Thomas @ Rochester Gear. If they do not have the gear cutting/grinding equiptment he can steer you in the right direction.
213 Norman Street Rochester, NY 14613-1875
(585) 254-5442