snow tires on dirt track

Post by chevy112 »

anybody run them? my track rules dont say i cant
Shopboss
Guru
Guru

Re: snow tires on dirt track

Post by Shopboss »

OK I'll bite....Why?.... Are you thinking traction?

Heard of a guy that once got the bright idea to fill his tires about half way up with water like a tractor tire. I guess he thought it would give him better traction.
Worked good till he got up some speed. Then the car started hopping around the track, not necessarily in the direction he wanted to go!
If you do try it, let us all know how it works out for you.
Donny
chevy112

Post by chevy112 »

yea id think softer tire better traction the higher up classes use softer tires so...........
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

Here in most of Texas there ain't much call for snow tires so I can't remember ever having seen or heard of a trial. I have my doubts but if you can't find a reliable source for info, give them a try and let us know. I assume this is a 'street' tire class.
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

You might like a BFG all terrain better if it's allowed...
FastShaw99

Post by FastShaw99 »

We run them in the local mini stock class with a ford mustang 4 cylinder 2300, work great and last forever. We run toyo brand. They do pull up the track a little with stiffer sidewalls. Depends on your promoter if he will let them fly after you start lapping the field. I'm guessing in Texas you are dry slick during hot laps. Let me know if you need any more info, pressures to run etc...
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

I've run snow tires in SCCA Rallycross, when I was too cheap to get proper tires.

On a moderately powered (~120hp) RWD car, the rear tires lasted about ten 60-second runs. Just plain wore out, turned to slicks.

On a moderately more powered (~180hp) car, I burned a set of Hakkapelittas out in eight. This was much more glorious, as this was on pea gravel and not clay, so I was ripping tread blocks out.

The kicker is, they aren't really all that much faster than anything else if the surface is tight.
lowriderglen

Post by lowriderglen »

Fastshaw PM sent