onstar

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

sam-missle

onstar

Post by sam-missle »

Has anybody on here, had (onstar) used against them ia a court of law??? speeding/accident, etc.
SAM-MISSLE
SOUTHERN AUTO MACHINE
931-728-7800
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: onstar

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Yet? :wink:
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

If you steal a car with Onstar they can track you down

I never took my free 90 days of Onstar, man do they bug you to sign up..i was going to but then the more they reminded me, the more I thought..like yeah its nice they can unlock your car doors if leave the keys in but who locks their keys inside

Now many newer cars have black boxes that will show the speeds the car was going and if brakes were on before the accident. Those do make there way in to the courts all the time

You planing on robbing a bank or something :mrgreen:
S.Bretz

Post by S.Bretz »

Sorry to bring up a month old post, but I work for a Cadillac dealer and have plenty of experience onstar...usually when its not working correctly.

As far as I know, they don't track your speed. That info is recorded in the SDM (sensing and diagnostic module..or air bag module) and can be accessed after a crash; but not by the dealer. That stuff is access by some outside agency. It will recorded MPH, brake appication (how hard the break was applied in some models), acclerations (from the g-meter in the SDM) wheel speeds......ect leading up to the impact and whay deployment loops where popped off. The VCIM (vehicle communications interface module or "onstar module") is sent a serial command to contact Onstar when the deploys an inflatable restriant or when an accident is expected (based on the g-meter). We had a sky customer get a call from the Onstar after some intential aggressive manuevers because the yall rate was too high :lol:

As far the key locked in...I also do roadside assistance for Cadillac. For the caddies, as long as the car is covered in the 5y/100k miles, that roadside service to retrieve keys is no charge to the customer...yeah, it might take longer then having the satellites unlock the car, but it doesn't cost anything (althought tips are appreicated :wink: ). I can't comment on the service for other GM vehicle as I only deal with Cadillac for roadside calls.
Greenlight
Pro
Pro

Post by Greenlight »

All I know is that as hard as the OnStar operator tried, he couldn't help my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb9bsy0DOR0

Makes you wonder if it's worth the money.
Project Greenlight
dieknow

Post by dieknow »

Anyone who wants to can access the SDM or CDR with a Vetronix CDR. When we were looking at them the base unit started out around 1500.00 and the full kit was around 6500.00