work in us

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

amazonic

work in us

Post by amazonic »

hi iam from sweden,and i think it would be an big life experience to work in the us.
how hard do you think it is for a swedish guy to get a job and work visa in the us?
I work as a welder and have 111,135,136 certification.

How are the market for welders in us today?

/Jimmy
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: work in us

Post by Keith Morganstein »

amazonic wrote:hi iam from sweden,and i think it would be an big life experience to work in the us.
how hard do you think it is for a swedish guy to get a job and work visa in the us?
I work as a welder and have 111,135,136 certification.

How are the market for welders in us today?

/Jimmy
There is always work for a good welder.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

My problem with the certs you state are not what is used in AWS. 1-2-3-4 and f-g. I will ask my son who obtained many certs for all welding.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
RamAirV

Post by RamAirV »

In addition to having the proper certifications, you need to get a sponsorship from the employer in the USA.
The employer also has to justify the hiring, in your case, he has to show proof to the US State Department that he has not been able to hire skilled welders in the USA.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants ... _1340.html
http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_ ... l?cid=9711
amazonic

Post by amazonic »

3may i am going to work 3weeks in bahamas for a swedish company,Iam really looking forward to this :D
donc
Guru
Guru

Post by donc »

Texas, is the place to check for welders.
amazonic

Post by amazonic »

af2 wrote:My problem with the certs you state are not what is used in AWS. 1-2-3-4 and f-g. I will ask my son who obtained many certs for all welding.
I have AWS B2.1 SMAW 6G certification
rce4csh
Pro
Pro

Post by rce4csh »

First I would suggest you correct your typing to place US as capital letters! Welder types are by and large a very patriotic bunch and as such take things this with some displeasure.

Next I would make sure my skill set is good enough to easily pass and certify for AWS D-1.1 in the 3G and 4G positions at a minimum using the SMAW process with E-7018 electrodes. If you can do it, test with the one inch thick test plates for an unlimted thickness certification.

Following this, I would cert to AWS D-1.1 in FCAW process with Lincoln NR 232 as the electrode to prove your mettle.

Beyond that, certification to the API code for pipe in the 6GR position should get you in the door with those guys, But be prepared to retest for the pipe crowd on a job by job basis on something like a branch T. You do the fitting and the welding under direct observation of the inspector.

Most important! Is not that you have certs, but that you have demonstrated competence and efficiency in whatever you are certfied for without any bull or excuses!! Think of your cert like a driver's license, it only shows that you are capable of passing a test! How you weld everyday, your demonstrated competence and your personal demeanor on the job is what keeps you employed.

The very best thing you could do for yourself as a welder in the United States employed in the structural end of the game is to be able to have the knowledge and expertise to easily pass both the written and practical portions of the Los Angeles City welders certification for structural welding. If you can do this for Structural (D-1.1) Rebar (D-1.4) and Sheet Steel (D-1.3) with both SMAW and FCAW processes, you can pretty well get in the door. Study Jack Compton's guide to the LA City welders certification for more details.