Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

justahoby
HotPass
HotPass
Location: In Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada

On dash cams.

Post by justahoby »

I am looking at getting an on dash cam, for two of my vehicles. Track runs, street cruises,but the big motivator: Some people want mullah trying to get me to rear end them, especially on my older driver with no ABS.. Like stopping on on ramps suddenly and weaving to try to get me to hit them, never have since I habitually afraid to tail gate, never know when I need to prove they were in fact wreckless.. Last incident says I need to get one now, I know at fault rear end laws would make it hard to turn something around, on TV I saw someone that took one in to court got the car hit ( the car car hit obviously was trying to create an accident) to be decided by the judge to be charged with wreckless driving.. I myself am not new to road rage, but this woman threw me for a loop, mad at the first moment.. still unsure of actual rage reason.. Anyone know of a decent cam to buy?
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Re: On dash cams.

Post by Kenova »

justahoby wrote:...... this woman threw me for a loop, mad at the first moment.. still unsure of actual rage reason.. Anyone know of a decent cam to buy?
Probably some wack job eco-nazi who was pissed off because you were driving an older vehicle (something other than a Prius).
My youngest son is a long haul truck driver. I would feel a lot better with him on the road if he also had a dash-cam. The crap people do in front of rigs is just mind boggling.
Whatever you choose you will want a high quality picture. Nothing worse than trying to prove your case with a fuzzy video. A camera that will automatically loop back to the beginning and continue to record when full would be a good idea, and you will also want something with lots of recording time.
I'll be watching for suggestions.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

My mother was a victim of this in the L.A. area while driving her old Caddy -- insurance company paid anyway as it is difficult (without a video) to prove someone deliberately tried to get someone to rear end them for insurance.

:lol: After the Caddy she got a nice looking Tahoe. It got stolen -- my sister in L.A. called her and said "Mom, I think I see your car on the news." It was used to transport illegal aliens across the border and got shot up during a chase. Nice video for the insurance company. =D>
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass

Post by justahoby »

I ordered one for now, but this was when I was in my wifes car, but the cam is going into my older ride for sure. It is a cheapie, but will let you know the quality of picture for the cost. It is front and rear view .... been reading some cheap are junk and some are good picture... will upgrade to a 200 dollar one or better when my happy birthday comes around... Like all things, I get the camera ,nothing will happen, go without it- then I am screwed.... in that it will pay for itself!!!! Same with gps in my car, if its my luck to not have it ever needed upon buying it... thats good enough for me!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

About 15 years ago, I actually had someone put their car in reverse and BACK in into me on purpose at a traffic light ... they even had a "witness" on the sidewalk.

If it wouldn't have been for some industrious "insurance investigator" catching them in the fraud of claiming a "whiplash", that incident would have cost me a bunch of money in raised insurance rates.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass

Post by justahoby »

My camera never came in the mail... maybe I was ripped off... BUT i found a very clear free app for my iphone... records sound, speed, and the picture is far clearer than the regular video recorder thats programmed into the phone from the factory... it records a very long time, after your done driving you can erase.....or keep ... and it was free :mrgreen:
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

friend of mine bought a G0-PRO Camera...hero 2....about $200.xx, i'm surprised how good the pic and sound is, does a good job of recording his passes.. =D>
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

I had some old man slam on his brakes after I squeal my tires taking off from the stoplight. I was just some young punk at the time and did hit his car, I was tick off and agreed to follow him down to the police dept.

Once inside he tells the cop that he heard a loud noise and thought there might have been a problem with his car so he stop. Cop just wrote everything down and let us go, I later seen that accident was record as my fault on my driving record, lol

It was OK thou, woke me up to always drive with both feet, my left foot always rests on the brake pedal and I can start braking as I let off the gas. Yeah some folks don't like our "dirty" old cars, well I'm not too nuts about their fancy rides :lol:

Here in the states you are to have control of your car at all times. A person could have a "good reason" for stopping off an exit ramp, maybe they had to sneeze or they thought they seen something on the road or like my old jerk said thought there was a problem with his car.

Some people are jerks on the road, not sure making a big issue of it is the way to go, I just try to pass and forget but the rules of the road are a little different in Canada, cops have a right to ask you questions, etc