Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

englertracing
Guru
Guru
california db laws and vintage cars.

Post by englertracing »

Hello,
In ca the test goes something like this you rev to 1/3 "vehicles maximum horsepower level" with the db meter x feet away from the exhaust at a 45* angle.
And your allowed 95 or 98db I forget. I read a bunch about it.

Anyways my question is what about pre 78 smog exempt?.
Nowhere could I find anything mentioning this.
What about something like a ac cobra? That won't meet the db limit idling?
There has to be some exception for older cars as manufacture but I couldn't find anything.
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: california db laws and vintage cars.

Post by af2 »

Try pre 1975.
I have never had a car db checked but some friends did back in the 80's when ticketed and were always in the 90 db range that is legal. They won every court case. The CHP finally stopped the BS.

I always had a reason for running quiet exhaust... If they can't hear you they won't see you.. :idea:
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Warpspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warpspeed »

af2 wrote:Try pre 1975.
I always had a reason for running quiet exhaust... If they can't hear you they won't see you.. :idea:
I think that's the secret, don't attract attention, and don't get pulled over in the first place.

Very often it is the nature of the sound that attracts attention, rather than the actual sound pressure level.
Once you are on the side of the road with the cops walking around the car and looking underneath, they will always find something.....
Cheers, Tony.
twl
Expert
Expert

Post by twl »

Around where I live, the Harley Davidsons are louder than any of the cars driving around.