anybody have trouble getting help to go racing?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

raynorshine
Expert
Expert

anybody have trouble getting help to go racing?

Post by raynorshine »

-didn't used to have much trouble getting a bit of help working on the car, having the car ready to go racing and some actual help at the track. didn't race for a few years, got car going again last year....but getting any kind of help now is like pulling teeth :?

-seems like my "help" is only interested in "benchracing" #-o
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
DanK
Re: anybody have trouble getting help to go racing?

Post by DanK »

Though I don't race competitively, for money or prizes, I've had trouble for years. I just don't have the like-minded people around me. When I start talking tech their eyes glaze over...and it's not difficult stuff. IOW, I've been stuck doing all kinds of work on the garage floor by myself. I think the Y gen on up is definitely less interested in performance cars from what I've seen.
Horsewidower
Pro
Pro

Post by Horsewidower »

Haven't been able to find any of the young ones interested in racing. 25 and below has been exasperating. We've even given kids weekends at the road race course with our trainer car and can't seem to get any hooked.

Very disappointing.
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

Horsewidower wrote:Haven't been able to find any of the young ones interested in racing. 25 and below has been exasperating. We've even given kids weekends at the road race course with our trainer car and can't seem to get any hooked.

Very disappointing.
ya, that's what i'm talking about, good word, good definition [-o<
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

smeg
Expert
Expert

Post by smeg »

I feel your pain Ray,
I have not raced in comp for 13 years this month, I was thinking of building another car to test with. Nobody seems interested at all.
I cant understand it.
JDR Performance
Pro
Pro

Post by JDR Performance »

The answer is in the description of what they don't want to do. It's an evil word to many people in that age group, and begins with "w".
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

A 'young' (late forties) friend of mine road races in the SCCA and had trouble getting a crew together. I raised my hand and also got 3 pals to pitch in. We were beavering away on a test day when one of the guys took a look around, realized we were all grey haired retirees and commented: "Wow, this is sure a crew of last resort!"

That really resonated, so I had tee shirts made up for us all with the car number and "CLR" on the breast pocket and "Crew of Last Resort" across the back... \:D/
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

Well this hobby isn't cheap and driving on the street today--least around here is go to one red light to the next. I guess you are to check your email or sent a text at each light--I don't know but the split second the light turns yellow folks stop and many slow down at green lights like hoping they can stop for the red.

Wanna "drive fast" you play video games I guess :(
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I think it's a lot of things. More easier stuff to do, phones, internet, games. I'm not that old but when I was younger, we use to hang around my garage and my friends would help me on my car for something to do. I'd buy em pop or some fastfood and even some beer when I could get some. Not that I had a lot more $, I just valued my car more than other things. Of course we also work on their normal cars or w/e too, cause I had the tools and place. These days every1 is a freaking pothead and I'm not or all I'd have to do is buy a bag, but then they'd prob be too stoned to help anyway.

edit: Also there is this younger guy who races where I do and I told him some stuff to make his car faster and he just bought a faster one, still too slow.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

I'm 25 and help out several friends. Though, I really wish I could be on the other side of pit wall, I'll take accumulating paddock knowledge and being a track rat for now.

I know plenty of young guys who are into cars. The problem is, no one has any money. I'm sure it was no different when you guys were young.
-Bob
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

I see the same thing with trapshooting, it is a dying sport. Too many other things to do, electronics, too expensive.
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

Let's face it, you can't race or trapshoot and text at the same time.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

ya, it's kinda embarrassing...well not for me at least....i'm thinking it's a lot of a "permision thing" :lol:

-kinda sad really
-oops, think i said that already :mrgreen:
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

TEROL

Post by TEROL »

It's a shame the direction our sport is going in. When I was a kid there was a race car in every driveway. You couldn't visit them all in one evening. Kids now-a-days think a clapped out Honda with a BOOM-BOOM stereo, blacked out windows and a fart can muffler is a fast ride. They will never know the sense of accomplishment in building something and making it work and then refining it. No.......can't get dirt under my nails,or screw up my orange hair,and heaven forbid I get grease on my down around my arse shorts. Nope.....easier to hump up on the couch with my Buds' and have Mommy bring us chips and soda while we play X-Box. This is the bunch that will be running the country in twenty years. Glad I won't be here to see it.
Olefud
Pro
Pro

Post by Olefud »

I was into drag racing in high school, Karts in college, then a 56 Chevy on a half mile high bank dirt track, SCCA G/P, a spell as a race engineer (for expenses) and finally and finally ITA racing all alone. After two surgeries earned trying to race by my lonesome, I had to hang it up. But it works two ways. I posted to work as a race engineer at the local bullring with no interest.

As an ole fud with a day job, many teams are too “professional” for a part-time volunteer and others too insular for someone outside their social (age) comfort zone.