New garage build.

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

Mining4air

New garage build.

Post by Mining4air » Wed May 22, 2013 10:41 pm

Okay, so I'm getting ready to build a new garage in about a month, and have been trying to decide what I'm gonna do for lighting and thought Id see if any of you guys got some input, sugestions, or tips.
Here's what I'll be working with. The main working area will be 28'x36' with a 10' celling height. At this time I'm looking at the 8' long T-5's with 4 bulbs and using 6 of them placed evenly around the shop. Anyone else using these? Are they as good as I've been reading about? What else are some of you using that you are happy with of more importantly what do I stay away from.
Also while I'm here. How many of you guys have done the Acid Stained and seal concrete as apposed to epoxy on the floor, and what are your thoughts on that?
Jay

mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Re: New garage build.

Post by mbrooks » Thu May 23, 2013 8:23 pm

My shop is a 30 x 40 w/ 11ft. ceiling, 3 car bays. I have used fluorescent and didn't like that type of light. Using regular 100w bulbs, 4 per bay now and works good. Couple ceiling fans would be appreciated. Bare concrete, some type covering would be good, but can't complain.

lynn baker

Post by lynn baker » Thu May 30, 2013 8:13 am

Mining4air wrote:Okay, so I'm getting ready to build a new garage in about a month, and have been trying to decide what I'm gonna do for lighting and thought Id see if any of you guys got some input, sugestions, or tips.
Here's what I'll be working with. The main working area will be 28'x36' with a 10' celling height. At this time I'm looking at the 8' long T-5's with 4 bulbs and using 6 of them placed evenly around the shop. Anyone else using these? Are they as good as I've been reading about? What else are some of you using that you are happy with of more importantly what do I stay away from.
Also while I'm here. How many of you guys have done the Acid Stained and seal concrete as apposed to epoxy on the floor, and what are your thoughts on that?

take a look at this.you wont be disappointed

http://www.sealhard.com/
thanks lynn,

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Post by Dave Koehler » Thu May 30, 2013 8:39 am

Lynn,
Do you have seal hard floors?
I need to redo mine and have about given up on finding any trick stuff that actually holds up in a working environment.
My big criteria is.....Will it resist brake fluid, brake clean, methanol or nitromethane spills?
I also get the impression that Seal hard is not available as a DIY product.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors » Fri May 31, 2013 10:15 am

My shop is divided into two parts- 28x26x10 is the main area, I use the 8' 110w Cool white cold start T12's. 7 total, 1 over bench on one switch+ 3 rows of two , 4 on one switch, 2 center on separate switch. Also have 2' light under cabinets over bench on a switch. I like my stuff bright with options.
Two 5 blade, 3 speed reversible house fans (had 3 blade shop fans and they do nothing), plus wall mount 18" oscillating fan.
I used the UCoatit dark grey on the floor (NO FLAKES-makes it hard to find small objects) and its held up pretty well. What most people don't realize is the epoxy floor pain is magnetic. It attracts sharp edge steel parts resulting in nice divots. :roll:
I also drywalled/painted white the ceiling and upper walls, with OSB on the lower 4'.
Older photo but gives you an idea- few more machines back there now and more up front you cant see.
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills

Mining4air

Post by Mining4air » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:07 pm

I definitely agree with not putting the flakes in the epoxy. Not only does it make things hard to find, but I personally dont like the way it looks.
I would like to hear some more about the Sealhard too.
I like how well your shop is lit up in the pictures Pete, and I have to say I really wasn't aware you could get that high of a watt flourecent light.
Kinda funny though, I got into work today after a couple days vacation and found that one of the guys had hung a 4 foot 4 bulb T5 light, with
the 54 watt bulbs in it, above his bench and I have to say I was very impressed by it.
Jay

lynn baker

Post by lynn baker » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:40 am

Dave Koehler wrote:Lynn,
Do you have seal hard floors?
I need to redo mine and have about given up on finding any trick stuff that actually holds up in a working environment.
My big criteria is.....Will it resist brake fluid, brake clean, methanol or nitromethane spills?
I also get the impression that Seal hard is not available as a DIY product.

SORRY ABOUT THE DELYED RESPONSE.........
when you say redo.............sealhard can be used on an inuse floor, but the company has specific instructions on cleaning/preparing the floor.
yes my 24x30 garage floor is sealhard. i would suggest to have the floor power troweled rather than a broom finish.

cant comment on methanol or nitromethane.....but brake fluid wont touch sealhard. oils will not soak in, i use brakeclean to clean up any petroleum/oils. brake clean is no problem. a sealhard floor brooms clean as a whistle on sweeping.
sealhard is a liquid with a consistency just a hair thicker than water. i overthought the application prior to doing mine myself. its a no brainer.
i ended up using 4 gallons for 720 sq. ft. pour on a specified amount per suggested squarefootage area that you can work in (dont get ahaead of yourself is all). get a firm bristle
floor broom and work it around scrubbing the soaked area. leave it. you may want to keep water misting the prior area as you work the next area. ( just keep the worked areas wet).
do not work in windy conditions. the product needs time to react with the cement in the concrete.
when your done wash it all off with the hose. your done. ............nothing to peal off, cause it actually is a chemical reaction with the cement that closes up the porousity in the troweled surface finish, and penetrates into the surface
with the same reaction. i bought mine thru an installer, but i see now they are set up to sell to consumers. mine has been in servise since 2001. no problems, no peeling, no oil stained soaked spots for dirt to collect into.

gimme a call if you want
309-883-3578
thanks lynn,

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:02 am

After working in a friends 40 x 40 shop with both florescent and the giant caged slow starting halogen type I found you still need drop lights for under hood, under car and under dash work...so when I built my 25 x 25 I only put a few of the T5 florescence in 1 8' 4 bulb just over the work bench, 1 4' over the laith, 1 8' over the car bay and just use a drop light as needed.

I just have smooth finished concrete, a good sealed floor would be worth the effort if you can afford the extra cost.

blockislandguy
Pro
Pro

Post by blockislandguy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:09 am

@cpmotors

Jay-sus, I've never seen a vertical air compressor hung horizontally. Isn't that going to lead to problems?

Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Post by Barbapapa » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:17 am

Mining4air wrote: At this time I'm looking at the 8' long T-5's with 4 bulbs and using 6 of them placed evenly around the shop.
I use T8s but in shorter lengths in order to get more fixtures. I have 3 phase power and each fixture gets an alternating leg. My idea is to balance out the frequency, I'm not sure how helpful it is and I've never heard of anyone else doing it but I'm not bothered by my shop lighting.

If you're wiring lighting from scratch I would let that be on area of the build to splurge on. Lighting has a huge effect on your work space and you can never have too much. It's easier to keep some off than add more in the future.

I have a similar light per area that you do and it's great but I'd prefer even more bulbs to cover weak spots. I installed AC ducts after the lights and they block some light, wish I would have planned that out better.
Mike S.

af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:16 pm

blockislandguy wrote:@cpmotors

Jay-sus, I've never seen a vertical air compressor hung horizontally. Isn't that going to lead to problems?
Notice it is the back door? And the cable attached when an ass come through the door? :mrgreen:
GURU is only a name.
Adam

vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:35 am

Mining4air wrote:Okay, so I'm getting ready to build a new garage in about a month, and have been trying to decide what I'm gonna do for lighting and thought Id see if any of you guys got some input, sugestions, or tips.

I used industrial floor epoxy, and it has held up well. My contractor supplied the lights, so I dont know the brand, but I can say they work very good and do not make noise, and seem to be efficient.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.

vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:48 am

vortecpro wrote:

I used industrial floor epoxy, and it has held up well. My contractor supplied the lights, so I dont know the brand, but I can say they work very good and do not make noise, and seem to be efficient.
Heres a lighting picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.

cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:09 pm

blockislandguy wrote:@cpmotors

Nope, I made a bracket to flip the pump 90°. If you look close you can see it. Its been mounted up there for 8 years now. It works out very well and I mounted a fitting and ball valve at the bottom side of the tank with a 6' length of hose to blow tank moisture outside.

Mark, your shop is laid out nicely. What do you do to move blocks from one machine to another?
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining

cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:17 am

close up view of mount.
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining