transaxle that fits a SBC

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

crazyman
Expert
Expert

Re: transaxle that fits a SBC

Post by crazyman »

You could always convert a caddy/toronado auto to full manual with a hi-po rebuild and an adapter plate..
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

coolchevy wrote:sorry for late reply, mostly used are the trannys out of the 2,5l turbo diesels from A4 and A6. In light weight cars track proven to about 650 hp behind LS engines and up to 750-800 Nm = 550 ft lbs.

The neat part is that you just use a LS1 flexplate for the starter and it is easy top modify a stock flywheel to mount onto it. Thus, no need for expensive aftermarket clutch/hydraulic slave cylinders, stock Audi will work fine as these diesels are known for big torque.

If you use a Fichtel&Sachs race clutch and a Quaife LSD almost indestructible and cheap, remanufactured they cost here less then a 1000 bucks.

I can post picture, for guys from Europe we have water jet cut Adapterplates as I am supplying LS1 engines to a newly started Lola T70 street legal kit car fabrication.

for those who are not so familiar with Lola, a T70 (symbolic picture from one at Silverstone circuit) would be this thing here..... will be custom steel tube chassis, fiber glass body, weight about 2050 lbs, slightly modded LS1 with 410 hp and Audi transmission build in Austria

Thanks, Audi parts are plentifull around here execially the 2,5 l turbo diesel apps.

Any idea on an adapterplate/bellhousing. Running manual.

I'm quiting building oldtimers because of restrictive ruling for environmental reasons around here. After I finish my vette I will go to the track and built myself a purpose built race car. The factory five fills the bill nicely.
coolchevy
Expert
Expert

Post by coolchevy »

email me, I can send you a drawing for it
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

The high end mendolas, or fortin trans are bullet proof but spendy. Taking 800hp offroad is like 1200 inroads because of the constant loading and unloading. I think they used zf in gt40s that would probably work good.
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert

Post by flyingwedge »

Belgian1979 wrote:I would like to know which transaxle transmission will fit the SBC and can handle the torque of a 500 - 600 hp engine.

Thanks
I would consider Vette,C6/Zo6. Available for good value, and stongest, of the lot. Good Luck, flyingwedge. :)
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Albins and mendola are the strongest transaxles will take 800hp offroad and 1xxx onroad.
They use these in class 1 offroad cars.

http://www.weddleindustries.com/transax ... xles/st6-m
A little bit of a pipe dream transmission.
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert

Post by flyingwedge »

Belgian1979 wrote:I would like to know which transaxle transmission will fit the SBC and can handle the torque of a 500 - 600 hp engine.

Thanks
>> Have you considered C5-up Vette ? ZO6 is strongest of the lot. 23.5" CV centerline to mounting face,(reduces polar moment). I question if Audi ratios are best for this type of build ? Good Luck, flyingwedge. :)
Breakneck88

Post by Breakneck88 »

Th425 is a transverse auto 3 speed. The majority of the parts are from the th400.. Extremely tough. I can find them in late 70s early 80s front wheel drive Eldorado and some riviera. They put the behind big bop engines. Then came th375.a little weaker bit with OD. The have a neat setup with the axle actually passing through your oil pan, or modify the pan so the axle goes under it.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Kick me, and kick me again!!

He, He!!

Just maybe a highly hopped up 302 Z28 engine in front of a '65 or '66 Corvair transaxle.. Power can be made to approach 500 Hp! And T will be down because of it just being a 302 engine..

Kick away..

pdq67

PS., just how bad an idea is this??

Please come back...
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

PDQ, you do NOT want to run any significant power thru a stock GM Corvalr 4-speed tranaxle. The weak spots are the tranny itself which is a low-torque Saginaw, and the next one is the tip end of the mainshaft. The shaft is about 24" long and the last 1/2" sockets into the Saginaw clutch input shaft. Side loads in 1st gear crack the fully hardened tip off. Even with 327 Chev conversions, if you add big tires that hook up, you WILL break the mainshaft. Even a pumped Corvair 6 will break it, and mainshafts never were cheap.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Breakneck88 wrote:Th425 is a transverse auto 3 speed. The majority of the parts are from the th400.. Extremely tough. I can find them in late 70s early 80s front wheel drive Eldorado and some riviera. They put the behind big bop engines. Then came th375.a little weaker bit with OD. The have a neat setup with the axle actually passing through your oil pan, or modify the pan so the axle goes under it.
Not exactly.

The TH 425 is a longitudinal, not transverse FWD auto 3 speed. The torque converter and the pump is "split" from the rest of the trans, power is transferred by a silent-link chain. The main part of the trans runs alongside the engine, driving forward. Used from '66 to '78 in Toronado and ElDorados, but never in Rivieras. May have gone longer in GMC motorhomes. '79 Toro/ElDo/Riv was a downsized vehicle that used a TH 325. The TH 375 and 375B were rear-wheel-drive transmissions, the 375 is a light-duty version of the TH 400 but using a smaller output shaft and fewer clutch plates, the 375B was a heavy-duty version of the TH350 using additional clutch plates. Short story: At that time in GM terminology, a "25" was a front-wheel-drive transmission: 425, 325, 125. A "75" was a heavy-duty version of a lighter transmission: 375B or 475. The light-duty version of the TH 400 (the plain 375) was the exception to that rule.

An aftermarket conversion of the TH425 switch-pitch torque converter to full manual control was advertised as a "six-speed" transmission, even though it was the typical 3 speed but with driver control over the high/low torque converter stall speed.