8" towel city retreads?

Post by rick7343 »

anyone familiar with them?
barnym17
Guru
Guru
Re: 8" towel city retreads?

Post by barnym17 »

Yep used to use them due to rules, casing would be whatever brand they had on hand. Pretty decent tires actually able to get soft compounds in a radial.
SLPRACINGENGINES
Pro
Pro

Post by SLPRACINGENGINES »

my son s class run them on asphalt..we love them..there reasonable priced and we run a whole season one one set of tires.and they never fall off.i believe there actual a little fast at the end of the season..we run a open wheel modfied at 2500 pounds with a 388 engine making around 545 horsepower
rick7343

Post by rick7343 »

I was wondering about tire pressure... We are full bodied at 3200 lbs ans 13.5 crank height. The others run them really soft but don't look hooked up to me.. They wear half way down the sidewall on the Rf tires too..

Towel city told me never to go under 30 psi, but they run 15-18 inside and 25-28 outside.. (??????)

I haven't run 8" tires before, but that seems soft to me (???)
SLPRACINGENGINES
Pro
Pro

rick ..we run them around 28 on the right side and 20 on left side and they do great..now i did adjust my camber alittle .i run a .50 postive and 1.50 and were running power steering.i take it a street stock type car..probaly be around 3 .0 degrees on it ..i would run any more than that .unless you not running power steering.hope this helps you out some..you love them tires ..you cant wear them out..youll find like i said they get faster as you run them
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

They are a standard passenger radial casing low pressure just creates heat that destroys the tire.It will not help with grip.
rick7343

Post by rick7343 »

These ones are on 8" Hoosier casings (from slicks)..
rick7343

Post by rick7343 »

SLPRACINGENGINES wrote:rick ..we run them around 28 on the right side and 20 on left side and they do great..now i did adjust my camber alittle .i run a .50 postive and 1.50 and were running power steering.i take it a street stock type car..probaly be around 3 .0 degrees on it ..i would run any more than that .unless you not running power steering.hope this helps you out some..you love them tires ..you cant wear them out..youll find like i said they get faster as you run them
It's a stock ish chassis class with fibeglass body, 13.5 crank heightand 3200lbs.. Guys are telling me 6 degrees camber on the rf and 25-26lbs hot, but it looks like they are cornering on the sidewall bt y looking at the tire after...

Where you said camber, it should be caster?

What sort of roll center location do you run ?
SLPRACINGENGINES
Pro
Pro

sowwy rick..been sick a few days..yes if there run that much there are..i have found the lower you can run it the better it is..esp with pwer steering you just dont need that much...i would start around 2.5 to 3 and see how it does.
SLPRACINGENGINES
Pro
Pro

yes i did put that backwards we run 3 1/2 to 4 roll center and to the left
rick7343

Post by rick7343 »

How far left and how long does that make the moment arm on the front?

I imagine you run a lower crank height than us..

DO other classes run them too where you are? I've read some stuff indicating pressures from the low to upper 30's for regular classes not mods...
rebelyank

Post by rebelyank »

Hi. We run a 3000# limited LM on dirt Camaro clip. Our track tire is a yellow compound 8" on hoosier asphalt casings. We tried those higher pressures but couldnt make them work. We are now running 18# right and 8# left (yes 8) and by the looks in lineup everyone else is too. We have never peeled a cap off tho a couple vuys who tried 5# did. We run a lot of camber to keep it off the sidewalls and we get about a season out of them running 2 tracks. Hope this helps you. PS anyone run the hoosier 8" dirt race tires, looks like our track is closing and we have to switch to them smh.
rick7343

Post by rick7343 »

I can understand lower pressure on dirt...
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

I ran the 13 x 8 215s on a 2300lb mustang ministock,
I didn't really like them, they weigh a lot more than a regular hoosier as well.
also don't be afriaid to run the tire pressure higher on any car when you feel the tire folding over and sinking,
I could feel my hoosier on the ministock if they were 18lbs on the rr it would sink more than running 20 or 21 I could feel and tell it wanted to come off the bead!!
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

We run recaps on asphalt..great tires...get center of the tire down to a slick.. Shave them...start left side around 16..right side around 26...we have 3100 metric car....get your camber caster set correct...use tire temps