4 Link Question

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

bluenose
4 Link Question

Post by bluenose »

My car was hooking real hard, bending rod ends and wheely top bars, carrying front wheels past the 60', sometimes unloading the slicks. The top bars were in the middle hole on the rear end so I dropped them one hole, the car is doing what I expected, squatting quite hard but still 60 footing 1.12, not picking the wheels at all but planting the wheely bars. If I put the top bars back up one hole in the back to where I had them originally and raise the front of the top bar up one hole will the car still squat as much as when I dropped the back of the top bar or will it pick the wheels less violently (92 camero, 565,4:30 gears 1.87 PG, 2230 with driver)

Thanks
bluenose
Re: 4 Link Question

Post by bluenose »

More info: I think part of the problem is the car was set up to run 4.70 quick 8 with a 632 and Nos. I bought the car as a roller and put a all aluminum 565 which is 150 lb lighter on the front end.Bottom bar is 5/8" lower on the front, the top bar was 2nd hole above the axle tube (9 1/4" center to center on the back of the bars)the top front bar was 6 3/4" center to center of the bottom bar bolt. bottom bar is 20" long center to center and the to bar is 19 3/8" center to center. car weighs 2320 with driver. Maybe someone with a program can check it out but I think (from the garage floor) it looks like 77" at 6 3/4", please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks
bluenose

Post by bluenose »

Am I in the right section or should I go to another?
Thanks
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

No expert here, but I've helped guys with 4 links, and maybe got lucky.

Imo, you MUST level the car and get under it and plot it out on the floor. Chaulk lines everywhere.....Dave Morgan's book is worth the money. Some outdated info but the section on plotting is good imo.

Since nobody else has said, I'll give 2 cents. Hard to say for sure, but I'd bet your 2nd option would be less violent, and squat should be reduced. IC should move out and down. Can't say how much.

Dave
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

I had the same problem with a altered. I dropped the bottom bar one hole on the chassis; This made the intersection point 47" out and 3&1/2 off the ground and about 46 per cent anti squat. I also had to give the shocks two more clicks. Good luck Steve
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

I agree with Dave on the book.

Here's a web site by Billy Shope:

Chassis pages

It seems to be missing some of the original stuff he had, but he had to change providers.

Still some useful info there.

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
Bubstr

Post by Bubstr »

Unless your getting separation in the rear, this is more than likely a center of gravity problem. Too high or too far to the rear.
Older I get the less I know for sure