Leaf spring length benifits with cal-tracs

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru
Leaf spring length benifits with cal-tracs

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

I see some people building cars to run the calvert bars and switching to different length leaf springs, GM cars running chrysler springs... On a heavy nosed car-all iron BBC with a tunnel ram would it be advantageous to have more spring length in front of the axle and longer bars? Maybe just turn the stock springs around and run most of the spring length in front of the axle? I can make the mounts anyway I need.
Pro question poster.
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Re: Leaf spring length benifits with cal-tracs

Post by cpmotors »

Bob Hollinshead wrote:I see some people building cars to run the calvert bars and switching to different length leaf springs, GM cars running chrysler springs... On a heavy nosed car-all iron BBC with a tunnel ram would it be advantageous to have more spring length in front of the axle and longer bars? Maybe just turn the stock springs around and run most of the spring length in front of the axle? I can make the mounts anyway I need.
I cant give an concrete answer on running an even longer front segment spring, but its comical (to me) that several people on the Chrysler forums think that Cal Tracs only work on a GM spring vehicle with a 25" segment vs the Chrysler 20-21", and that SS are still superior. Don't dare mention that GM guys are using Mopar springs to go faster with CT's! :roll:
I'm no suspension expert but have experience with CT's on 4-5 different vehicles, in fact just had a customer go 1.342 60' on a 275/60 DR the other night @ 3380 lbs. using the Split monos. From my experience it doesn't have to be anything trick to work, just some basic testing to see what it likes.
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

Use cal tracs split mono leaf as it lets the spring work (move) and do it's job. All other springs lockup at some point and become rigid. Use their recommended shock also. Or so I've heard. good luck.
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

The split mono's and bars could be easily built to whatever length possible-that's a nice benefit. I would think the longer bars would work better on bad surfaces and poor tires?
Pro question poster.