Spring lenght effect

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Spring lenght effect

Post by BOOT »

Ok so if I want to compare two coilover springs, say for example a 10"-175 and 12"-175 same diameters and say the use was designed for a 10" coilover with adjustablilty. What's gonna happen, less travel, coildbind?

What about a stiffer rate 12" spring?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Confused
Re: Spring lenght effect

Post by Confused »

Hieght has no effect on rate. If the coilover was designed for a 10" spring, using a 12" will move the adjuster nut down 2". That may put it at the bottom or of the threaded section of the shock.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Ok I was thinking it wouldn't, but does a taller/longer spring have more stored energy?

Confused

Post by Confused »

I don't believe it does.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Ah nm I see it travels longer

Bubstr

Post by Bubstr »

Spring rate should be as advertised on both. The longer one will have more travel. Both can only store the energy put in them and give it up at the advertised rate. 175lb will store 175 lb for every inch they are compressed and they give up 175lb for every inch of separation. Note, where the shock is located on the lower control arm or rear axle in relationship to the contact patch will change effective wheel rate.
Older I get the less I know for sure
rdkonkel

Post by rdkonkel »

What about a lower rate 12" spring with some preload put into it? So the rate at 1" of travel equaled the 175# spring. Then there should be more useable travel. Haven't tried this yet but I was thinking about it on my dirt modified.
Confused

Post by Confused »

The spring has "pre load" when the car is sitting on them. If I understand your question correctly, with 1" "preload", the second inch of travel would be at 175? This would make the spring rate 85~pounds/inch. At that rate, on an IMCA type Modified, you would need a 16" spring or longer.Whichever spring is in the car, is only going to compress enough to hold the weight. The softer the spring rate, the more compression required.
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert

Post by flyingwedge »

BOOT wrote:Ok so if I want to compare two coilover springs, say for example a 10"-175 and 12"-175 same diameters and say the use was designed for a 10" coilover with adjustablilty. What's gonna happen, less travel, coildbind?

What about a stiffer rate 12" spring?
>> That 12" x 175lb. spring can effectively support 350lbs. more load, than the 10",(2" x 175lbs). Set your spring preload for initial rate,(static ride height), and make sure it doesn't coilbind, at full compression. As a side note, the 12" spring will have more "resilliance", something to consider in a street vehicle. Good Luck, flyingwedge.