Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

justahoby
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:28 am
Location: Temporarily in Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada
Contact:

Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by justahoby » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:53 pm

I have a picture of a 1 mm over (0.040) piston for a 3 cylinder 993cc Suzuki motor for a 94 Geo Metro. It's amazing that the valve for my big block Chev is near the same diameter. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?

User avatar
MadBill
Guru
Guru
Posts: 12632
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by MadBill » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:39 pm

My 8.2 L. Camaro gets 10 MPG, but my 1.0 L. Pontiac Firefly could barely break 60. That's only six time the mileage from one eighth the displacement. Big Blocks forever! :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

justahoby
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:28 am
Location: Temporarily in Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada
Contact:

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by justahoby » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:01 pm

MadBill wrote:My 8.2 L. Camaro gets 10 MPG, but my 1.0 L. Pontiac Firefly could barely break 60. That's only six time the mileage from one eighth the displacement. Big Blocks forever! :)
Yea... Was thinking that too... I get 18 in my pickup over geared .... In comparison 55 mpg in my metro. Isn't a lot for 62 cu inches...
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7035
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by Kevin Johnson » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:07 am

justahoby wrote:
MadBill wrote:My 8.2 L. Camaro gets 10 MPG, but my 1.0 L. Pontiac Firefly could barely break 60. That's only six time the mileage from one eighth the displacement. Big Blocks forever! :)
Yea... Was thinking that too... I get 18 in my pickup over geared .... In comparison 55 mpg in my metro. Isn't a lot for 62 cu inches...
I have had a few Metros. The first one became favored because it got better gas mileage than my motorcycles and if it poured rain on the way to classes I was not thoroughly soaked. That gets old quickly.

What is really something is to look at the tiny turbos they used for a while.

justahoby
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:28 am
Location: Temporarily in Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada
Contact:

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by justahoby » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:12 am

Kevin Johnson wrote:
justahoby wrote:
MadBill wrote:My 8.2 L. Camaro gets 10 MPG, but my 1.0 L. Pontiac Firefly could barely break 60. That's only six time the mileage from one eighth the displacement. Big Blocks forever! :)
Yea... Was thinking that too... I get 18 in my pickup over geared .... In comparison 55 mpg in my metro. Isn't a lot for 62 cu inches...
I have had a few Metros. The first one became favored because it got better gas mileage than my motorcycles and if it poured rain on the way to classes I was not thoroughly soaked. That gets old quickly.

What is really something is to look at the tiny turbos they used for a while.
When I was a boy in the later80s early 90s I remember the Pontiac Firefly turbo cars in canada ( just a rebadged metro with a turbo.) word had it they went pretty good.

I have rebuilt a spare motor, this car has allowed me to finish my degree on my GI bill . I will be done in August.
There are many people in college today still looking for geo metros.
130 mile round trip from class, as my wife works as a teacher in killeen and I drive an hour to waco, it's like under 3 gallons of gas. About 7 bucks round trip at worst. I spend 150 or so a month driving down TExas 75 mph roads pushing 80.

I plan on driving it for awhile while I go back to work to save up for a new car, and keep it for back up. It currently has 208,000 miles
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?

jeff8407
New Member
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by jeff8407 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:31 pm

My second car was a Chevy Sprint Turbo(same as the Canadian Firefly). It had 70hp, but that was 27hp more than the base model. It beat walking in 1986....

racinnut15xm
Pro
Pro
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by racinnut15xm » Fri May 29, 2015 1:34 pm

the original "smart cars"

iadr
Expert
Expert
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by iadr » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Kevin Johnson wrote:
What is really something is to look at the tiny turbos they used for a while.
Smartcar turbo
smart_turbo.JPG
(Gen 1: Cdn, Diesel)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

iadr
Expert
Expert
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by iadr » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Smart_turbo2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

justahoby
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:28 am
Location: Temporarily in Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada
Contact:

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by justahoby » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Tiny turbo Hahah
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2998
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by mk e » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:13 pm

justahoby wrote:I have a picture of a 1 mm over (0.040) piston for a 3 cylinder 993cc Suzuki motor for a 94 Geo Metro. It's amazing that the valve for my big block Chev is near the same diameter. :lol:
That's not a valve....this is a VALVE!

4.25" !...... and is an exhaust........from a 4V engine :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

justahoby
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:28 am
Location: Temporarily in Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada
Contact:

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by justahoby » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:07 pm

That looks like a prostate exam device
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?

mitch
Pro
Pro
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:38 am

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by mitch » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:48 am

iadr wrote:
Smart_turbo2.JPG
Are you sure thats not a smog pump :D

englertracing
Expert
Expert
Posts: 961
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:55 am

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by englertracing » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:17 pm

mk e wrote:
justahoby wrote:I have a picture of a 1 mm over (0.040) piston for a 3 cylinder 993cc Suzuki motor for a 94 Geo Metro. It's amazing that the valve for my big block Chev is near the same diameter. :lol:
That's not a valve....this is a VALVE!

4.25" !...... and is an exhaust........from a 4V engine :)


what are you doing with that thing?

mk e
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2998
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Elverson, PA

Re: Geo metro piston vs a BBC intake valve

Post by mk e » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:09 am

englertracing wrote:
mk e wrote: That's not a valve....this is a VALVE!

4.25" !...... and is an exhaust........from a 4V engine :)


what are you doing with that thing?
i put it on the shelf...it was a Christmas present from a guy I know. He works in shipping and there was an unclaimed shipment, when he opened it there were 12 of these inside so he grabbed them rather than scrapping them. Now they are presents/awards for pure stupidity in the world of engines......I "won" one for the frankenferrari :)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

Post Reply