Show us your Race Car(s)

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

justahoby
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:28 am
Location: Temporarily in Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada
Contact:

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by justahoby » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:21 am

Not a race car but I went 454 , now want more cubic inches I have a stroke crank and decided to hold out for a 502 block. Why settle for 496 if I can go 540?. :mrgreen:
Maybe the t56 won't hold, but oh well. Maybe it will break before I get a ticket.. :lol:
Next project is my 68 camaro I pulled out of the weeds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?

user-3597028

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by user-3597028 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:43 pm

justahoby wrote:Not a race car but I went 454 , now want more cubic inches I have a stroke crank and decided to hold out for a 502 block. Why settle for 496 if I can go 540?. :mrgreen:
Maybe the t56 won't hold, but oh well. Maybe it will break before I get a ticket.. :lol:
Next project is my 68 camaro I pulled out of the weeds
Looks nice!

What parts did you use to mount up the T-56? I have a couple and want to use one on a project.

Hydraulic clutch? I see the Q-times bell.

Thanks, Ron

Billzilla
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:48 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by Billzilla » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Has anyone got vids of their cars running?
I just remembered I've got a reasonable one here.

http://youtu.be/Ru99dUH66NM

User avatar
MadBill
Guru
Guru
Posts: 12614
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by MadBill » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Great drive, Billzilla; that yellow car was cutting you no slack!
What is your car, a Mallock or some such? Power, displacement, weight?

Here's a short clip of our Merkur leading the motley herd at Mosport (shot by the team of the blue Datsun running ~ 6th, so we're out of the shot by the last lap shown) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQWCdh_5Wb4
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

justahoby
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:28 am
Location: Temporarily in Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada
Contact:

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by justahoby » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:31 pm

Cedarmachine wrote:
justahoby wrote:Not a race car but I went 454 , now want more cubic inches I have a stroke crank and decided to hold out for a 502 block. Why settle for 496 if I can go 540?. :mrgreen:
Maybe the t56 won't hold, but oh well. Maybe it will break before I get a ticket.. :lol:
Next project is my 68 camaro I pulled out of the weeds
Looks nice!

What parts did you use to mount up the T-56? I have a couple and want to use one on a project.

Hydraulic clutch? I see the Q-times bell.

Thanks, Ron
No, I welded the top of a grade a bolt for a shifter fork ball on a 94 trans( originally a pull type clutch), being clocked lower I made an second bell crank, and set up with a mechanical clutch as no pull type was made for the 454.. I used the quick time housing , as 454 is 168 tooth..
Only two real issues I encountered was the position my older style push fork was now clocked into my exhaust and I had to shorten it, and make my second bell crank to compensate for the ratio... Turned out great. And the other issue is that the pull type clutch is 0.030" smaller ID throwout bearing than a GM push type. I knocked out the nylon sleeve and cut it , epoxied it in the push type throw out bearing, chucked it in the lathe and spun it back to size...

Short story how did I get it to work?..GHETO RIGGED

Yet I spent a lot of time to put billet keys and set the preloads properly...
Put my equipment to use to rig my own kit to move shifter up, yet retain the lockout( you need it, unless you want to see reverse trying downshifting to 5th at 80mph :lol: ) it clicks like a Toyota when I shift
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?

Billzilla
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:48 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by Billzilla » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:25 am

MadBill wrote:Great drive, Billzilla; that yellow car was cutting you no slack!
What is your car, a Mallock or some such? Power, displacement, weight?

Here's a short clip of our Merkur leading the motley herd at Mosport (shot by the team of the blue Datsun running ~ 6th, so we're out of the shot by the last lap shown) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQWCdh_5Wb4

It's a home-made contraption built by a friend of mine in 1988. It's loosely based on an early Mallock. It's about 155 hp and in your numbers about 1100 lbs with me in it.
The next race didn't go so well ...... :(
http://youtu.be/gNS3_TzEtlE

And dayum that car is yours sounds strong!

User avatar
MadBill
Guru
Guru
Posts: 12614
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by MadBill » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:55 am

Your car looks and sounds very strong also Billzilla.That "Yellow Peril" really didn't cut you any slack this time and that was a hard hit later.

We had our biggest bang the last race of '12, when the steering wheel came adrift at ~80 MPH, causing our guy to collect the wall. The (relative) good news is that 10 or so sec. later he would have been doing 180... :shock:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

Billzilla
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:48 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by Billzilla » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:46 pm

MadBill wrote:Your car looks and sounds very strong also Billzilla.That "Yellow Peril" really didn't cut you any slack this time and that was a hard hit later.

We had our biggest bang the last race of '12, when the steering wheel came adrift at ~80 MPH, causing our guy to collect the wall. The (relative) good news is that 10 or so sec. later he would have been doing 180... :shock:
Smashed my sternum into a few pieces, cracked a few ribs, banged the crap out of my right knee, and a few other little dings here and there. Two days in the hospital while they scanned my neck with a few expensive machines to see if I'd cracked a vertebrae .... I hadn't but it was ever so close to breaking my neck.
I have now bought a HANS device for when I go racing next.

justahoby
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:28 am
Location: Temporarily in Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada
Contact:

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by justahoby » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:59 pm

Billzilla wrote:
MadBill wrote:Your car looks and sounds very strong also Billzilla.That "Yellow Peril" really didn't cut you any slack this time and that was a hard hit later.

We had our biggest bang the last race of '12, when the steering wheel came adrift at ~80 MPH, causing our guy to collect the wall. The (relative) good news is that 10 or so sec. later he would have been doing 180... :shock:
Smashed my sternum into a few pieces, cracked a few ribs, banged the crap out of my right knee, and a few other little dings here and there. Two days in the hospital while they scanned my neck with a few expensive machines to see if I'd cracked a vertebrae .... I hadn't but it was ever so close to breaking my neck.
I have now bought a HANS device for when I go racing next.
God bless you brother. Godspeed
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?

JoePorting
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2457
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:16 pm
Location: Lake Elizabeth, CA

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by JoePorting » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:46 pm

My High School 67 Camaro bought back in 1980. Currently has a 406 SBC, Tremec 500, and a Strange S-60 rear end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Facciano

hoffman900
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by hoffman900 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:12 pm

Billzilla wrote:Has anyone got vids of their cars running?
I just remembered I've got a reasonable one here.

http://youtu.be/Ru99dUH66NM
Here is the TR4 I posted on the first page:

Starting mid pack due to some issues in the qualifying race. Previously qualified 2nd oa of about 50 cars. Gets exciting about 7 minutes in. Keep in mind the driver was 75yo at the time of this video and still does all his own car prep / assembly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5UweSaS3o
(switch to 480p)

Here is the year before. Short and not a good ending, but it's the same motor as above and the sound is great. A valve head separated causing the engine to go off song. All the other cars that it's running with are 2.5L I6s (the blue car is a special and has a 2L I6) vs the 2.2L 4 banger in the Triumph and are on much wider and stickier tires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNBcIr1KV7o
(can change quality to HD)

The car is hitting about 126mph at the end of the main straight and averaging in the high 80mph range over the lap. The engine is a 3 main bearing with a 3.42" bore x 3.62" stroke seeing revs approaching and sometimes exceeding 7500rpm in the above videos.
-Bob

vincenelson
Pro
Pro
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 11:56 pm

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by vincenelson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:01 pm

Qual pass at Firebird lake. Not a car but it is a hotrod. 0 to 130 in 4.1 sec. 1000' in 6 seconds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oncea3fan
New Member
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:15 pm

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by Oncea3fan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:29 pm

this was my car last year, but I took on a partner at the end of the season and we ended wanting to go in 2 different directions. he ended up with the chassis and I got the engine. I sold the engine and was able to get a turn key car to start rebuilding again.
57 chevy , camaro clip, 9" ford, 355 2 barrel
Image
Image
Image
Image

video
had a plug wire off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9w6WY2u5Y

BEDNAR1320
Pro
Pro
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:23 pm
Location: SUNNY(SOMETIMES)FLORIDA

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by BEDNAR1320 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:59 pm

Image

Mine.
AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO WOULD RATHER BE ON THIS FORUM INSTEAD OF WORKING LIKE I'M SUPPOSED TO BE RIGHT NOW?

Bad Hombre
Member
Member
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:28 pm

Re: Show us your Race Car(s)

Post by Bad Hombre » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:35 pm

Image

Image

Post Reply