Nitrous and Alcohol

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bc
Pro
Pro
Nitrous and Alcohol

Post by bc »

I did a search and didnt find this so here it is. What would be involved in running nitrous with alcohol? Why dont more people run that combination? Is there no advantage to running the two together?
steveD

Post by steveD »

I know of some Funnybikes that do this. If your not familiar with this class they run a turbocharged four cylinder motorcycle on alcohol down the dragstrip. They use gasoline and nitrous just like you would on a normal gasoline setup. The nitrous is primarily used to spool up the turbo on the launch and is turned off after some preset level of boost. You could also use a progressive controller and set it up for a big shot off the line and progressively smaller amount as boost rises.

If I'm not mistaken NHRA does not allow nitrous in alcohol classes?
Cfin
Pro
Pro

Post by Cfin »

I did some research on this some time ago and ended up talking to a nitrous "guru" somewhere in the US. We had intended to run alky carb and alky/nitrous but he told us to think again. It can be done but sheer demand is one issue and tuning issues is the other.
Apparently the engine runs so cool with having alky in both systems, it cannot generate enough heat for "proper" engine operation....or something along those lines, and hence is hard to tune.
He did say that a number of people do run alky thru the carb and nitrous/gas thru that side of things and this is the better(easier?) way to do it for both tuning and fuel demand.
It was some time ago and details are alittle hazy, but thats the general "gist" of what he told me.

EDIT - forgot to mention, the problem as explained to me is the alky AND the nitrous are both cooling fluids....hence basically excessive cooling.
longrodsbc

Post by longrodsbc »

You run gas enritchment 0n alky motors and Alky enritchment on gas motors.. I had a long conversation with the lady that owns NX, I had a older Top Gun Nitrous kit (owned and founded by her husband) and needed some jets, to make a long story short I recieved some very good tips for racing with nitrous.

you'll gain approx 50hp+ over a jets advertised HP level. and yes Ive tried it and will only use alky for nitrous enritchment on a gas motor.

longrodsbc
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

I would think you might have some success using alky/nitrous on a gas motor. Thought is the alky/n2o would result in additional cooling of the incoming fuel (maybe...hopefully...if... there is no freezing) aiding in preventing detonation and causing a slower burn rate which should allow you to put some timing back in, thus more torque/power. Yes/No ?? Better yet why not use E85/n2o and E85/motor ? Either way I'm sure you would become a tuning expert before you got it right ! Maybe Dave Koehler will chime in with his expertise...
FordManVT

Post by FordManVT »

I'd like to hear more about the n2o/akly combo on top of a gas engine...
95 F250 351 ZF5
96 T-bird 4.6 4r70w
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 67 Nova »

Yes longrod, DO TELL 8)
longrodsbc

Post by longrodsbc »

I know Im not the only guy that does this, and with conventional spray bars I could see a problem, the only plate Id recomend is the Zex perimeter system, otherwise you need fogger nozzles. I use annular.

At lower power levels, I wouldnt bother, I mentioned the zex plate because It has worked for me, I rarely use alky unless its a big nitrous application 350-400+ I find alky is easy on parts at this level and there is also less of a chance for detonation. simply put the engine takes the nitrous better. or if you will less alum on the plugs. Now If you hold the button for a 1/4 mile in a slow car for 10 sec + yes Id bet you'll have problems. a 4 sec pass in the 1/8 now thats a differnt story. Besides I never said exactly that I used alky only I might mix another type fuel with it. but that one you'll have to determine on your own.

:lol:

longrodsbc
Cfin
Pro
Pro

Post by Cfin »

I don't profess to know the answers, I have never tried the alky/nitrous mix on an engine.....but the logistics of the thing tells me to be wary if injecting both. If you are giving it a 400 shot plus alky, the sheer quantity of alky is over double that of gas....so you have to supply 800+hp worth of fuel when compared to gas, just to be "safe".
Alky is more forgiving tuning wise but get it wrong and I think its worse than gas for melting "parts"..... combine that the nitrous as well and ???
I think thats why I was advised that if I was going to try it, run an alky carb and nitrous/gas setup....rather than the other way round. You are still getting the advantages of the alky and both systems are easier to tune.