Concrete Floor Polishing

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Concrete Floor Polishing

Post by mbrooks » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:36 pm

Anybody try this? Looks like a good alternative to epoxy coating. This is the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66EaApndk1c

rce4csh
Pro
Pro

Re: Concrete Floor Polishing

Post by rce4csh » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:44 am

I cannot even imagine what the cost in man hours and materials must be to accomplish this result would be. Whew! Then add to it the cost of the heels it looks like ya gotta wear while doing the work. Looks good when you are done though. Gotta wonder how well that sealer will work with automotive chemicals spilled on it.

mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:22 pm

I was in the local Home Depot today, looks like what they did to their floors. They don't have to wear high heals, she was bare foot in some of it..

Ron Miller
Pro
Pro

Post by Ron Miller » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:02 am

Where I work at, a large plastic molding plant, the floors are being polished. I talked to the contractors about pricing. Depending on finale finish and shine it could cost $ 18.00 to $ 38.00 per square foot. When done the floor looks like smooth ice. How about this, when all done & said the cost will be around 6 million dollars. :shock:
Ron Miller

mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:51 am

Sounds high, I'm putting up a metal building, with concrete floor & pad & building it starts at $14 a sq. ft., and can go to $25, the range I was given, haven't seen the bid yet.

W. Tripp
Expert
Expert

Post by W. Tripp » Wed May 21, 2014 11:34 am

Mr. Brooks,
Keep an eye on pricing changes and hidden charges. Back in 2010 I looked as this process through a well known company with a great deal of experience. The first estimate started reasonably, and by two weeks later when they were ready to take a check and get started, the price had more than doubled with absolutely no changes on my end. Needless to say I went a different direction and used an epoxy product that I have used in the past.

mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks » Wed May 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Right now I'm leaning toward using a system a company called Prosoco uses. They put down a densifier then burnish the floor, then a sealer, was told could probably do it for less than $500 if I do it myself, and supposedly what some of the stores are using.

mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:38 am

Thought I'd report back. Shop took long time to get close to done. Did the Prosoco process, on a new floor, unsealed prior. Used some of their cleaner in a diluted form to get the residue off which worked well with some broom action. The deeper rust stains didn't mess with, we tried some concentrate which helped but once anything gets into new concrete it stains, probably why you can stain concrete a preferred color.

Used the densifier as recommend with a spray bottle, at first we were putting it on too heavy, guy coming in behind with microfiber mop moving the stuff around. The stuff actually puddled on the first section we did because it was too heavy so after about an hour we went in with a squeegee and moved it around. After it all dried went over it with a burnisher using a hogs hair pad. First pass could tell it was rough, each subsequent pass it smoothed out, total went over the floor 4-5 times, could tell there was a shine developing.

Then put on their concrete protector, that is when the floor really shined, for a concrete floor of course.

The only problem I see is their recommended application rate, used more than was recommended. Was recommended 3 gal. of densifier, they only had 2 so they sold me 5 gal. at a reduced cost, used all of this minus about a quart, even with the heavy application on the first part would have used at least 4 gal. Roller might have been better, spray bottle had a narrow window, the mop guy had to stay close behind if the application was sparse to move the stuff around.

Was recommended 3 gal. of the sealer and used that on the first 3rd. Rolled the apron with a different product which is half the size of the shop and used 4 gal, so 8 imo would have been more appropriate for the shop.

All in I'm happy with the result, prob have $5-600 in the finished job, should be no more than 7 for a 2400 sq. ft floor.

mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Did discover that if the spray bottle is kept pressurized real well, the coverage is much better, closer to their estimates. The final tally on the cost was approx. 11-1200 for 2400 sq. ft. Looks good.

stealth
Expert
Expert

Post by stealth » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:21 pm

Seems like a lot of expense....how much more is marble...lol
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:48 pm

$700 might get you a countertop:)

77cruiser
Expert
Expert

Post by 77cruiser » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:49 am

mbrooks wrote:$700 might get you a countertop:)
A small one. :) $4000 will get you quartz. :shock:
Jim