Ride height and coil springs

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

70MC
Pro
Pro

Ride height and coil springs

Post by 70MC »

I am working on a 1970 Monte Carlo. I am working from Moogs specs and can figure how much my car will compress a different spring, but was wondering what that difference will be at the wheel and fender due to suspension geometry. For example, if I install a new spring that will compress .500 more than my current spring, what will that be at my fender when measuring from the ground to my fender lip?
A bad day of racing is better than a good day of work
Olefud
Pro
Pro

Re: Ride height and coil springs

Post by Olefud »

New springs won’t change the suspension geometry. Have someone sit on the finder to compress your current springs .5’’ and check the clearance.
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

You've probably got this figured out by now, but just in case I made a crude sketch to show off my freehand drawing skills :roll:. I don't know where you can look the dimensions up, but a minute with a tape measure will give you a sufficiently accurate answer.
CoilSpring.jpg
The circle at the right end of the line is the control arm bushings, the coil spring is the, well, coil spring :mrgreen:, and the vertical line at the left end is the center of the tire. The distance from the centerline of the control arm bushings to the center of the spring is "C", and the distance from the centerline of the control arm bushings to the center of the tire is "L". Think of this as a lever, so the change in height of the spring will be C/L times the change in height of the tire and the force on the spring will be L/C times the weight on the tire. If C is 8 inches and L is 14 inches and the weight on the front corner is 1000 lbs then the force on the spring will be 1000 lbs * 14"/8" = 1750 lbs. Hope this helps a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

ijames wrote:You've probably got this figured out by now, but just in case I made a crude sketch to show off my freehand drawing skills :roll:. I don't know where you can look the dimensions up, but a minute with a tape measure will give you a sufficiently accurate answer.
CoilSpring.jpg
The circle at the right end of the line is the control arm bushings, the coil spring is the, well, coil spring :mrgreen:, and the vertical line at the left end is the center of the tire. The distance from the centerline of the control arm bushings to the center of the spring is "C", and the distance from the centerline of the control arm bushings to the center of the tire is "L". Think of this as a lever, so the change in height of the spring will be C/L times the change in height of the tire and the force on the spring will be L/C times the weight on the tire. If C is 8 inches and L is 14 inches and the weight on the front corner is 1000 lbs then the force on the spring will be 1000 lbs * 14"/8" = 1750 lbs. Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks, that helps. I was hoping someone could say that an A body spring compressed x equals whatever at the fender.

Moog does not have what I need. I am getting custom springs made. The spring supplier said they can figure what I need from what I have. Thanks again.
A bad day of racing is better than a good day of work