Volvo Penta 5.0 engine

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

technicaltom

Volvo Penta 5.0 engine

Post by technicaltom »

Not a car engine I know , but can anyone tell me if this engine is based on the GM SBC ? 3.74" Bore and 3.48" stroke which I know is SBC dimension.The 21 ft Boat that engine is in is for sale locally with a seized engine ( the sump was cracked )The intending buyer a customer of mine asked me to research the possibility of fitting a diesel engine in it, but before I get a headache !!! I was thinking about a rebuild of the SBC ( if it is ) an engine I am know quite well,Volvo Penta stuff is very expensive in Ireland .Any input much appreciated .
chevrolet obsession-TechnicalTom.
Fordracer347
Pro
Pro

Re: Volvo Penta 5.0 engine

Post by Fordracer347 »

A serial number/model number would help but that SHOULD be the same old 305 SBC.
GPM Race Engines
Custom Machining, Dyno Service, Automotive & Marine
http://www.gpmraceengines.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/GPM-Race ... 8632920064
Twitter: @ GPMracengines
technicaltom

Post by technicaltom »

Thanks Fordracer , the Boat is a hundred miles away, but may well be bought this weekend so I will post some numbers then. I have been Googling since and now have a clearer picture.
chevrolet obsession-TechnicalTom.
jred
Expert
Expert

Post by jred »

I've done a few of those for a boat dealer here. their customers left water in the blocks and they froze and broke the blocks.. most everything as far as blocks heads cranks and rods were the same, compression was higher ,camshaft had slight bit more duration ,and the head gaskets were stainless steel ,and brass freeze plugs marine gaskets from fel-pro hope this helps..
barrybasinger

Post by barrybasinger »

FWIW, I replaced (a ruined) one of those with a 350 SBC rebuilder truck engine in a 24 footer. Figured that it would run moderate RPM so truck specs looked better. (moderate cam, 4-bolt- forged parts, etc.). Worked well for me.
bubbabbc
Pro
Pro

Post by bubbabbc »

Bear in mind an average 305 marine engine runs 4000 rpm, sometimes for extended (15-20 minutes or more) periods of time. Before installing a production rebuilt truck engine, make sure this replacement engine will handle the demands of the marine requirements. Many a boat owner has been sadly made aware of a "cheap" alternative to an "expensive" marine engine.